Advise for impressing enough to get a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I will be doing a visiting rotation at another institute next month and I was hoping I could get a good LOR. Do you guys have any advice on how I should approach this? I will try to work hard and everything, but whats a good way to get the attending to like you? THis has been hit or miss during my cores. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone...I will be doing a visiting rotation at another institute next month and I was hoping I could get a good LOR. Do you guys have any advice on how I should approach this? I will try to work hard and everything, but whats a good way to get the attending to like you? THis has been hit or miss during my cores. Thanks

Honestly, there is no formula. I'm sure you've met people whom you despised because they have some attitude problems or are lazy etc but are well liked by attendings. These are the bootlickers. And there are some who work very hard but yet aren't liked.

My advice is to strike a balance. First, find out who you would like to give you a LOR, usually it would be your supervisor or maybe the dean. But a person with a higher position would give you a LOR with a heavier weightage. So, find your target.

Next, get close to that person, find out what makes them tick. If he/she is a sucker for punctuality and getting things done on time, then, never come late, be on your toes, be systematic, help out as much as you can..in other words, be SEEN doing work:)

There are some who love to talk, so, strike up random conversations with them, show that you adore them, agree with them on many things but do not show up that you don't have a spine or an opinion of your own.

For those who like their boots licked, you should know what to do:laugh:

And then, there are those mysterious types, brilliant, only talk when there is a need. Do not bootlick or talk too much, they probably despise people who do that. Let your work do your talking, be impressive on rounds.

One thing I'm unsure of is whether you need to inform these people ahead of your rotation about them writing a LOR for you, but I think you probably need to. Some may not agree to, so it's good to know..no point wasting a whole month's effort and then finding out at the end that you're not getting a LOR from them

So how do I do that? Do I just go up to the attending with the biggest cahounas on the first day and tell him that I will be needing a LOR? I don't know it sounds like it would be awkward

Members don't see this ad :)
So how do I do that? Do I just go up to the attending with the biggest cahounas on the first day and tell him that I will be needing a LOR? I don't know it sounds like it would be awkward

I'm sure you would be appointed a supervisor? Ask him/her if he/she would be the one writing you the LOR or if someone else would be able to do it, and then meet that person

I've never heard of requesting a LOR before a rotation...it's usually done at the end after they have seen you work and gotten to know you. How can they agree to write a LOR before they even know you? Mentioning you'll be needing a LOR at the beginning of a rotation would be a big mistake IMO.

I've never heard of requesting a LOR before a rotation...it's usually done at the end after they have seen you work and gotten to know you. How can they agree to write a LOR before they even know you? Mentioning you'll be needing a LOR at the beginning of a rotation would be a big mistake IMO.

Yeah, that would just put the attending in an awkward position.

Your goal should be to impress the attending to the point that they volunteer to write you a LOR. :D Easier said than done of course.

At the same time, I've heard stories about attendings who have 'policies' about never writing LORs for particular electives. Wouldn't it suck if you did all that work, focused all your energy on one attending, and found out at the end s/he wouldn't write you a letter? That said, I'm not sure it's kosher to ask up front. Maybe check with the residents who usually writes the letter at the end of the rotation?

Anka

MAybe then, ask the other students who writes LORs?

At the same time, I've heard stories about attendings who have 'policies' about never writing LORs for particular electives. Wouldn't it suck if you did all that work, focused all your energy on one attending, and found out at the end s/he wouldn't write you a letter? That said, I'm not sure it's kosher to ask up front. Maybe check with the residents who usually writes the letter at the end of the rotation?

Anka

Our Dean of Career Services (or something - the one who writes the Dean's letter) told us that we should definitely inform the attending before we start the rotation that we're going to ask them for a LOR at the end of the rotation. That way, they can make sure that they pay attention to you during the rotation so they have something to write about. Pressure's on, though, now you've got to perform.

Our Dean of Career Services (or something - the one who writes the Dean's letter) told us that we should definitely inform the attending before we start the rotation that we're going to ask them for a LOR at the end of the rotation. That way, they can make sure that they pay attention to you during the rotation so they have something to write about. Pressure's on, though, now you've got to perform.

This is exactly what I have heard and what I plan to do. Attendings get asked for LORs all the time, it's not like your going to surprise them. Also, if you approach it thusly, "Dr. X, I am planning to apply for IM so I would really like to get a LOR out of this rotation. Is there anything that would be good for me to know?" then I'm sure it will be fine.

They'll probably appreciate the heads up. I plan to sit down with the clerkship directors at each of my rotations and tell them I'm looking for a letter. I'll be working in a decently competitive specialty in August, I doubt I'm going to raise any eyebrows.