Asked for a LOR, attending said of course and to just tell him what i want it to say. What do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not unusual. Write it and send it to them. They will revise if they see fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep have been there before as well. Congrats it’s a golden ticket, just write a semi reasonable but great LoR and have them sign off on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
oooooo coooool. You get to decide your own fate.

Reactions: 1 user
Never an easy thing to do. Different reasons as to why attendings do this - perhaps lazy, perhaps because they forget memories working with you.

This will continue during residency and beyond for some folks so good to have an idea of what to do.

1) You want to make this as specific as possible about your interactions with the attending. E.g., "Omi gave a presentation on hypercalcemia that was ____ and gave credibility to his ____ of patient XXX" "Omi arrived at Pulmonary tumor board ready to participate and did so as follows...I was impressed because ...." Specific, concrete examples are essential here.

2) No over-embellishing yourself. E.g., "Omi was the greatest student that ever lived. Patients will pay double to see him."

3) Ask secretary for official letterhead, provide all the details to said attg on submission, etc.

Take a look at the competencies required for the rotation.
Provide them with clear examples of how you met or exceeded them.
Send the letter to the attending by email.
Do not ask for letterhead! The attending should feel that they can edit as they wish.

Reactions: 2 users
To clarify - all official LORs must be on official letterhead. That doesn't mean it is not editable. Confused as to above poster's comment.

It looks unprofessional to have a LOR on plain/blank paper if expected to be coming from an attending at an institution.

Of course the attending should be able to edit it once you send to him/her.

To clarify - all official LORs must be on official letterhead. That doesn't mean it is not editable. Confused as to above poster's comment.

It looks unprofessional to have a LOR on plain/blank paper if expected to be coming from an attending at an institution.

Of course the attending should be able to edit it once you send to him/her.
No good (or even mediocre) administrative assistant is going to give letterhead to an unauthorized individual. When they (inevitably) report this request to the faculty member, OP will lose credibility or appear to be unbearably naive. Neither of which is a good look.

The faculty member's admin puts the letter on letterhead, not the applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think it is okay. Have them put their contact info and title in the letter, which they should do anyway. Physicians are busy as heck and I think this is the only factor that causes them to sometimes do this. When I was applying to residency I even had one who asked me to write the letter for him..... that was a hard task.