Advise needed- do you think I can still do it? (sorry if its long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidnightMoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So two years ago I FINALLY decided what I really wanted to do with my life. Go into Laboratory Animal Medicine. Since then I've been studying my ass off getting my BA in Biology and scheduling out my whole degree plan so it could include prereqs.

This semester a major wrench was thrown into my plan. I, of course, got pregnant. The father and I are in a fairly steady relationship and have been together for a LONG time- this is just sooner then we had planned. Having the baby itself isnt the real issue. The issue is that this pregnancy has been HORRIBLE.

I found out right before classes started again. Fine, that's okay. I get a rolly backpack, start taking the elevator instead of the stairs, sit as close to the door/trash can as humanly possible, and carry some trash bags around with me just in case.

Then I had my first "Threatened Miscarriage." 12 hour stint in the ER and they tell me theres nothing they can do and I have a 60% chance of miscarrying completely. Still I thought I can deal with that and kept going to school. Eventually I started having days where I would vomit everything I ate or drank immediately, days where I couldnt get out of bed because I felt THAT bad, days where I would go to school but sob almost the entire time because I felt like crap.

I started failing my classes. Never failed a class in my life. Had a 4.0 GPA almost my entire college career until then. Was stressing out all the time. Then came my second offical "Threatened Miscarriage" and I quit going all together. I would have quit work if I didnt have bills to pay- dropped down to part-time and worked enough to cover those (work in a clinic- eventually my boss made me become a receptionist for health reasons).

Im now almost half way through this pregnancy and I feel better. Im still getting the occasional "no food" days but I can function and my kiddo is still alive and kickin (cant feel it yet but Im sure he/she is). Now that I have my mind back I realized that I never withdrew from school. And I've missed the deadline. This is going to ruin my GPA and my outline. Im going to have to take at LEAST the next semester off too since Ill have a newborn on my hands.

Im scared Ive just really messed up my chances of getting into vet school by failing this entire semester. And I know with a child school itself is going to be 10 times harder. Do I still have a chance? I know its gonna take a lot longer then I planned.

(Im 21 by the way)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Sounds like you've had a rough time this term.

I think that if I found myself in your situation, I would first decide whether I needed to take the rest of the term off, or if I felt that I could catch up in and finish the courses. This would involve talking with my university and professors. I can't imagine that your circumstances wouldn't be considered extenuating and your school would make accommodations to allow you to withdraw. I know at my school, there is a last date to withdraw with an automatic "W," then after that, you need signatures. Talk to the people you need to talk to. Your health has to come first.

As far as vet school with a kid goes, it can be done. Like you said, it's certainly going to be a different set of challenges than many will face, but it's different for everyone anyway. The vet who sees my goats was a single mom when she was in vet school. She found another single mom and the school was very helpful with never scheduling their clinical rotations at the same time so they could watch each other's kids...

Good luck! I always feel like everything will work itself out, but don't just sit by and wait for something to happen on its own! Make sure you go talk with your professors and appropriate school people!

I would talk to a prof or somebody higher up about your situation.

There was an editorial in our school paper a month ago. A woman dropped out of her classes after the deadline and her grades suffered because of it. She then met someone else who dropped out after the deadline and all of her dropped marks were erased from her transcript. She complained to the paper that this was unfair, etc. What she didn't realize (and what the paper told her) was that the school can erase marks for compassionate reasons. All she had to do was ask.

So I'd look into that policy if I were you and find someone to talk to about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course the best thing to do is talk to the school and see if you can be withdrawn from your classes due to the special circumstances. As you had a medical problem there MAY be some flexibility ...

But most importantly, don't think you have blown it. If you have a high GPA except for 1 semester with all F's I doubt you will have too much trouble if the rest of your app is strong. There is an explanation section for unusual grades on VMCAS and you would be hard-pressed to find an adcom that wouldn't see your semester as a special case easily ignored.

It may all seem overwhelming now, but really just focus on getting through the pregnancy and mothering your child. Plenty of time to get back on track once you have regained some semblance of order.

Good luck.

Talk to your advisor and withdraw. Several years ago, I had to withdraw for health reasons and it was WAY after the deadline. Because I had medical reasons, they let me take W's for the semester instead of what would have been F's. I even had the option to petition and get most of my tuition refunded. I ended up with a full semester of W's, went back to school later, did well, and got into vet school on my first application cycle. I didn't even elaborate on my application because in my case it wasn't particularly relevant or life-changing - I just said it was for health reasons that were no longer an issue.

Withdrawing is the right decision and vet schools will understand if you explain the circumstances. Take care of yourself! :)