This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PILLow Talk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
I'm somewhat flustered right now, and would like some advise.
I recently talked to my adviser and she told me there is no possible way I can get into Pharmacy school and that I should change my major. I wanted to maybe get some advise on what you guys think.

I am currently just starting my junior year, but I severely messed up my freshman year. My first term, I got a C in chem and my second I got a F in chem and micro-economics. Although there are no excuses, I learned my lesson. I was working 50 hours a week (as a pharm tech) and didn't have time to study and barely showed up to class. I retook the class, got a C and an A in econ. My Mom passed away a few years ago, and she was a pharmacist and financials have been difficult for my family, but I have figured it out:)
My sophomore year I took Ochem, Calc, Bio, Micro Bio and all other pre recs and got a 4.0. I was taking close to 20 credits and term and working in my professors lab.
I love pharmacy, and I can't imagine not studying it. I really do enjoy the science of it, and am willing to do anything to do it.
Do you guys think it's still possible?
Or should I come up with a plan B?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate any feedback, whether it's bad or good.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Y'all,
I'm somewhat flustered right now, and would like some advise.
I recently talked to my adviser and she told me there is no possible way I can get into Pharmacy school and that I should change my major. I wanted to maybe get some advise on what you guys think.

I am currently just starting my junior year, but I severely messed up my freshman year. My first term, I got a C in chem and my second I got a F in chem and micro-economics. Although there are no excuses, I learned my lesson. I was working 50 hours a week (as a pharm tech) and didn't have time to study and barely showed up to class. I retook the class, got a C and an A in econ. My Mom passed away a few years ago, and she was a pharmacist and financials have been difficult for my family, but I have figured it out:)
My sophomore year I took Ochem, Calc, Bio, Micro Bio and all other pre recs and got a 4.0. I was taking close to 20 credits and term and working in my professors lab.
I love pharmacy, and I can't imagine not studying it. I really do enjoy the science of it, and am willing to do anything to do it.
Do you guys think it's still possible?
Or should I come up with a plan B?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate any feedback, whether it's bad or good.

I think you should still apply. There have been people in my year who have failed a pre-req and retook it to get a better grade. They were accepted. It also depends on gpa in pharmcas. As long as your overall gpa (including the failed courses) isn't below the minimum you should be fine. Your personal statement should be used to address the problems you had in your freshman year. This will be a way to explain what happened. Don't give up! You should also talk to a pre-pharmacy advisor of schools you're looking at to get another opinion.