advise on applying this year to cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmess09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a PGY 2 US Med Grad at a top 25 IM program in Texas and I'm applying to cardiology this year. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from fellows or program directors on applying this year.

-Research: 3 cards publications over the past 6 months, 2 review articles, 1 case report; My main project- retrospective study being submitted to JAC, as well as the ACC in the spring for possible oral presentation.

-Med school top 10% of graduating class, not AOA unfortunately

-USMLE Step 1, 2, 3 : 237, 234, 219

-Residency: about average/middle of class of about 48 residents

-Strong rec letters for Cardiology research mentor, as well as clinical cards letter.

How strong of a candidate do I appear to program directors?
How many programs is ideal to give myself a legitimate shot of matching?
Should I limit myself solely to academic? Will my research stiffle any opportunities to interview at good community/private programs?

Thanks! Appreciate feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

You sound very competitive to get in somewhere. I suggest applying all over Texas and then wherever else you want to be (geographically). You have more research than most applicants, and are at a better program than most applicants, and did better in medical school than most applicants. Private/community places look for similar things as the "academic" places, except that they may be a bit less interested in your research and more interested in finding out if you can take care of patients (but not as much as you'd expect). My only advice is to make sure you go on enough interviews (you want to rank 10-12 programs, perhaps more, just to make sure you get a spot) and remember to have your faculty mentor try to pull some strings once you decide what your top 1-3 programs are.