Optometry Advisor said my grades aren't good enough - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a senior and was planning on applying to optometry school for the 2021-2022 cycle. However, I just met with my advisor who told me my grades are not competitive enough for optometry school, which is honestly true. I have Cs in gen bio, chem, and physics and just low grades in my science prereqs. While taking these classes, optometry school was not even on my mind and I just took them because my parents wanted me to go to medical school. However, I am much more motivated and focused now and want to become an optometrist. But I'm not really sure what to do. Should I retake all of these classes and do a post-bacc? Or do well in the science classes I am taking now and do really well on the OAT to kind of try and balance my low sGPA? My advisor strongly recommended me doing a post-bacc at a 4-year college but I read that the grades are averaged if repeated courses are taken at another institution. He made it very clear that I would be rejected if I applied with these grades and it was harsh to hear but I really need some honest advice. I am graduating Dec 2021 and if I did a post-bacc for 1.5-2 years and then study for the OAT, take the OAT, apply, etc, I just feel like it would be so late at that point. I'm just so confused. Any advice is really appreciated.
Have you asked admissions staff at optometry schools where you have a strong interest in attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A post-bac would help. I don’t necessarily think you need to retake the courses you got C in as long as you can ACE upper level science courses in your post-bac.

Also, it seems like you are in a rush. Slow down and take your time. You need to do well on your post-bac and OAT to have a shot and rushing these things isn’t going to help.

Thank for your reply. I'm taking organic chemistry now and I'll be taking microbio and biochem next summer, so if I do well in these classes, do you think they will "excuse" my Cs I got in gen bio and chem and focus more on the better grades I get now? I also tried finding some post-bacc programs near me but they require a bachelor's degree prior to registration and I would be graduating in December 2021, so that seems like a lot of time to wait. My advisor also recommended I just retake gen physics 1/2 and chem 1/2 but I don't know how much that will really help me. What else do you think I can do to improve my chances of getting in?
I think that if you ace organic chemistry, micro, and biochemistry this will help your cause. I don't think they will necessarily "excuse" your Cs, but your good track record of courses may give you what is needed to be accepted. Again though, if you need the post-bac, you need the post-bac and need to take the time required to go through the motions to put together a competitive app. If you have time between now and your post-bac, retaking the courses may be a good idea (as long as you ace them), but I don't think it's required. Do optometry schools replace grades?

I think I am going to retake a few courses and aim for As this time. The optomcas averages the old grade and the new grade so if I got a C in gen chem 1 and get an A this time, my new grade would be a B. If I do really well in organic chem, micro, and biochem, it would give me confidence to move forward and retake the courses I didn't do well in. However, if I don't, then I guess I'll have to reconsider my choices.
Sounds good!

I haven't. Do you think it's a good idea to ask them? Should I explain my entire situation in full detail or just give them a general idea of the issues I'm having?
Start small... give someone a reason to follow up to learn more about you and advise you properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.