AECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, really... i wanna see some excitement about einstein!!

Members don't see this ad.

seriously, all the other threads are getting tons of action, where's the einstein love???

so anyone have any idea about how to apply for financial aid? im still mostly confused lol

Definitely excited about the prospect of AECOM! Does anyone know the grading scheme for the first two years? P/F? H/P/F? etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
you apply for financial aid by filling out the fafsa and there is a link on the website for aecom aid (loans/ scholarships/ grants)... u fill that out and send the first two pages of your tax forms in as well... i received a scholarship before filling that out... but i think that helps with all forms of institutional aid...its not too difficult...it is only a page...

does anyone know anything about housing? are we supposed to be doing something on our own, or are they going to send us stuff?

They are preparing the mailings soon. Does anyone think they will live off campus?

i'm considering living home with my parents (rent-free, in queens) to save money. i'm still debating whether i can put up with that for 4 years though lol. we'll have to see. the einstein housing is pretty nice and cheap too, so it's quite enticing.

Does anyone know if AECOM has AOA, even though it's P/F the first two years?

anybody know how to apply for financial aid? the website isn't very helpful...it seems like they don't offer much money meaning going to einstein will be very expensive even though its housing is cheap. i'm just going to submit the form and my parent's tax forms....i have no idea how the federal stafford loans are initiated...or if i should even be worried about these things right now....

btw check out einstein's new website....too bad its the same after you click on MD admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know how to apply for financial aid? the website isn't very helpful...it seems like they don't offer much money meaning going to einstein will be very expensive even though its housing is cheap. i'm just going to submit the form and my parent's tax forms....i have no idea how the federal stafford loans are initiated...or if i should even be worried about these things right now....

i got an email recently from financial aid explaining the process. not in much detail, though. you do fafsa for the stafford stuff and then einstein's form for einstein need-based aid and loans. merit scholarships are done by admissions and are independent of financial aid apparently.

taylor was right....it's not tooo bad of a process with einstein...i thought they didn't give out much money either....but they do....u don't have to be terrified of the process...but i would get things in as soon as possible!!!

taylor was right....it's not tooo bad of a process with einstein...i thought they didn't give out much money either....but they do....u don't have to be terrified of the process...but i would get things in as soon as possible!!!

haha well that's because you got a scholarship from einstein! congrats! for us that don't i heard their scholarship package is 3000 max and the rest is loans.

For those of you definitely attending Einstein...let's get to know each other a little lol.

Undergrad: Emory University
Interests in medicine: Surgery, Ortho, Cardio
Interests outside of medicine: music, movies, sports...
Favorite books: The Namesake, Complications, Goodnight Moon
Favorite movies: Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club
Favorite tv show(s): Greys Anatomy, Lost

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll be at Einstein next year...

ooo... good idea. i just got my rejection from the big H today, so i'm definitely going to be at einstein in the fall. yay!

Undergrad: University of Tennessee (how 'bout them vols?)
Interests in medicine: ID, public/global health
Interests outside of school: soccer, flying, outdoors stuff
Favorite books: The Power of One, Harry Potters
Favorite movie: The Lion King
Favorite tv shows: N/A

i nominate aces to form the facebook group.

aces, i think i met you on interview day lol.

bump...there really have to be more than 4 or 5 AECOM admits. It's March guys!

Hey guys,
I just got accepted about two weeks ago and I've been following this thread since then. I REALLY liked the school when I visited, but am concerned about paying $42k a year plus living expenses... I know the cheap state school vs. private school discussion has been talked to death elsewhere on SDN, but I don't know yet what school I'll be going to in August. I talked to a current student on the phone earlier in the week and it made me want to go to Einstein even more... we'll see. Congrats to you all for getting in!

Hey guys,
I just got accepted about two weeks ago and I've been following this thread since then. I REALLY liked the school when I visited, but am concerned about paying $42k a year plus living expenses... I know the cheap state school vs. private school discussion has been talked to death elsewhere on SDN, but I don't know yet what school I'll be going to in August. I talked to a current student on the phone earlier in the week and it made me want to go to Einstein even more... we'll see. Congrats to you all for getting in!

There are a few of us still deciding (including me). If you don't mind me asking...what state school have you been accepted at?

Hey, guys! I'm a first-year at Einstein who recently took a medical leave of absence, so I'll be joining you all in some of your courses at some point during the year. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I was also a tour guide, so I may have already had the pleasure of meeting some of you.

I know one of you mentioned the Biochem prep course. It is a completely optional course. However, I strongly recommend it mainly for the social aspect it provides. The material you learn is pretty useless and the grades you get on the exams aren't recorded anywhere. It was an excuse to move in early, start making some great friends, and have a great, stress-free time in the Bronx.

Congratulations, and let me know if you have any questions!

ooo... good idea. i just got my rejection from the big H today, so i'm definitely going to be at einstein in the fall. yay!

Undergrad: University of Tennessee (how 'bout them vols?)
Interests in medicine: ID, public/global health
Interests outside of school: soccer, flying, outdoors stuff
Favorite books: The Power of One, Harry Potters
Favorite movie: The Lion King
Favorite tv shows: N/A

i nominate aces to form the facebook group.

i hope we have a lot of outdoors lovers in our class!!! it looks like there's a lot of parks and cycling paths near aecom, as well as trails up in the white plains area. whether or not they're in safe areas i don't know...

by the way, i also still love the lion king. :D

i hope we have a lot of outdoors lovers in our class!!! it looks like there's a lot of parks and cycling paths near aecom, as well as trails up in the white plains area. whether or not they're in safe areas i don't know...

There are some nice paths indeed. White Plains is generally safe...some parts less than others. I grew up in Westchester...so I know a good deal about it. Being really close to home is a nice draw that AECOM has over some of the other schools I've gotten into. Decisions decisions...:rolleyes:

awesome! i want to do some weekend trips to the mountains, too. i also want to go to six flags or whatever the best amusement park in the area is. looking at the academic calendar, a lot of jewish holidays are listed... do we get all of those off, i wonder?

Hey, guys! I'm a first-year at Einstein who recently took a medical leave of absence, so I'll be joining you all in some of your courses at some point during the year. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I was also a tour guide, so I may have already had the pleasure of meeting some of you.

I know one of you mentioned the Biochem prep course. It is a completely optional course. However, I strongly recommend it mainly for the social aspect it provides. The material you learn is pretty useless and the grades you get on the exams aren't recorded anywhere. It was an excuse to move in early, start making some great friends, and have a great, stress-free time in the Bronx.

Congratulations, and let me know if you have any questions!

thanks for checking the thread! question... if we don't do the biochem course, when's the earliest we can move in?

awesome! i want to do some weekend trips to the mountains, too. i also want to go to six flags or whatever the best amusement park in the area is. looking at the academic calendar, a lot of jewish holidays are listed... do we get all of those off, i wonder?

six flags is fuuuun! the one here in valencia is pretty amazing.

six flags is fuuuun! the one here in valencia is pretty amazing.

I'm totally down for Six Flags. I went to the nearest one (in NJ) growing up and I love it! Yeah I'm positive we get EVERY Jewish holiday in the book off. Great huh?

The move-in dates for individual students varied a bit last year depending on when the fourth-years actually moved out and their apartments were available. Some students moved in a couple of days before classes started, which is absolutely fine. I just personally enjoyed having the time to settle in before classes began. I'm not sure what's going on this year in terms of move-in dates, but you can always call housing. Sorry for not being more helpful!

i have a question... do students typically stay at aecom over the summer? how do they deal with apartment stuff if you decide to leave for the summer only? do you live in the same apt the entire time?

i have a question... do students typically stay at aecom over the summer? how do they deal with apartment stuff if you decide to leave for the summer only? do you live in the same apt the entire time?

It seems as if people are pursuing various, interesting things this summer. Since Einstein has a great global health program, many students are going abroad to volunteer, do research, learn Spanish, etc. However, I have numerous friends staying at Einstein to pursue research projects. Therefore, I'd say there's a pretty nice mix of people staying on campus and those going abroad.

Since your apartment is leased on a yearly basis, as long as you renew your lease, you can stay in the apartment and leave all of your furnishings there. You will still have to pay rent, of course. You can live in the same apartment throughout med school if you choose to. However, many people try to get studios (which isn't usually a reality until end of 2nd year, but most likely 3rd year, unless you're married). It also should be noted that you won't necessarily be living with another first-year. Therefore, you may decide to switch apartments at some point to live with a newly made friend!

Good luck!!!

It seems as if people are pursuing various, interesting things this summer. Since Einstein has a great global health program, many students are going abroad to volunteer, do research, learn Spanish, etc. However, I have numerous friends staying at Einstein to pursue research projects. Therefore, I'd say there's a pretty nice mix of people staying on campus and those going abroad.

Since your apartment is leased on a yearly basis, as long as you renew your lease, you can stay in the apartment and leave all of your furnishings there. You will still have to pay rent, of course. You can live in the same apartment throughout med school if you choose to. However, many people try to get studios (which isn't usually a reality until end of 2nd year, but most likely 3rd year, unless you're married). It also should be noted that you won't necessarily be living with another first-year. Therefore, you may decide to switch apartments at some point to live with a newly made friend!

Good luck!!!

How do they assign you to an apartment? Is it random? Can you pick roommates?

How do they assign you to an apartment? Is it random? Can you pick roommates?

You fill out a brief questionnaire in regards to sleep habits, if you consider yourself messy, if you're kosher, etc. They usually do a pretty good job of matching students. If you know someone already attending the school, I'm sure you can request to live with them. The Housing Office tries to be accomodating. However, you may not live with a first-year, which actually turned out to be a great experience for many students because they had a readily available source of advice.

You fill out a brief questionnaire in regards to sleep habits, if you consider yourself messy, if you're kosher, etc. They usually do a pretty good job of matching students. If you know someone already attending the school, I'm sure you can request to live with them. The Housing Office tries to be accomodating. However, you may not live with a first-year, which actually turned out to be a great experience for many students because they had a readily available source of advice.

Sounds cool. So...when the university closes on Saturday, what do you typically do? I know people said they went into Manhattan or elsewhere to study. Are there specific places people tend to go to?

Sounds cool. So...when the university closes on Saturday, what do you typically do? I know people said they went into Manhattan or elsewhere to study. Are there specific places people tend to go to?

i think we get privileges at fordham's library, which is in the bronx, but i'm definitely looking forward to using that awesome reading room in manhattan.

i think we get privileges at fordham's library, which is in the bronx, but i'm definitely looking forward to using that awesome reading room in manhattan.

Well that sounds cool. I think it's a little weird that all first years won't necessarily live with each other. Is it easy to switch apartments?

I actually live in Staten Island, so I go home every weekend to spend time with my boyfriend. As for studying on Saturday while on campus, although the library is closed, there are numerous rooms available 24/7 in Belfer to study. Also, you can go to the city, go to Fordham, etc. A Starbucks just opened up nearby, so you can also do some work there if you'd like.

As for housing, it's pretty easy to switch apartments. I'm actually in the process of doing so now. As long as everyone is in agreement, the housing office doesn't really seem to care.

I actually live in Staten Island, so I go home every weekend to spend time with my boyfriend. As for studying on Saturday while on campus, although the library is closed, there are numerous rooms available 24/7 in Belfer to study. Also, you can go to the city, go to Fordham, etc. A Starbucks just opened up nearby, so you can also do some work there if you'd like.

As for housing, it's pretty easy to switch apartments. I'm actually in the process of doing so now. As long as everyone is in agreement, the housing office doesn't really seem to care.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. In terms of orientation stuff...what do they typically do during orientation? Wine and dine us? :D

Do any current medical students know anything about the high priority waitlist? I'm dying to get off of it and join the class of '12.

Orientation is pretty much an excuse to party and drink! It's a really awesome time. Events seriously last for about a month here. There's an Orientation Committee that puts a lot of fun events together, most of which have alcohol and/or food. Last year, the school sponsored a booze cruise for us for a few hours, and then we all spent the rest of the night partying in the city. Enjoy Orientation! It was the best time of the year.

Does anyone know the time it takes to travel from AECOM into Manhattan via the bus?

took me 50 minutes from 23rd st (first stop) to AECOM. About the same on the way back.

Does anyone know the time it takes to travel from AECOM into Manhattan via the bus?

i took the express bus once and it took 25 minutes. the other time, i took the normal one and it took 45 minutes.

i took the express bus once and it took 25 minutes. the other time, i took the normal one and it took 45 minutes.

Where in Manhattan did you catch it from? I took the express as well (BX-something). It makes 3-4 stops throughout Manhattan, but there's no way to get to the first stop (23rd st) in under 45 minutes. Obviously it's a different story if you're only getting off wayy uptown.

Where in Manhattan did you catch it from? I took the express as well (BX-something). It makes 3-4 stops throughout Manhattan, but there's no way to get to the first stop (23rd st) in under 45 minutes. Obviously it's a different story if you're only getting off wayy uptown.
i was there on a weekend, and for some reason (i thought this was weird, too) it was really fast. we got off near grand central, but it was probably really fast because no one else was riding it.

does anyone know when our aid packages are supposed to be complete? I submitted my forms in mid February I'd say...

does anyone know when our aid packages are supposed to be complete? I submitted my forms in mid February I'd say...

yeah has anyone got their package yet? the may 15th deadline's getting close...

has anyone gotten any info on housing? the last mailing i got from aecom was for the titers and stuff.