AECOM or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AECOM or NYU

• AECOM

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • NYU

Votes: 69 69.0%

• Total voters

sinephera

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please...please...vote.

Any comments are also appreciated.

PS what is the grading system at AECOM?

Members don't see this ad.

why the hell would you want to be in the bronx and pine for manhattan, when you could be in manhattan and not pine for a borough, a subway, a late night pizza joint, interesting professors, a good quality of life, etc.

Choose NYU. Don't make me come over there ...
Seriously though, unless of course you are interested in primary care/medicine of some sort. In which case AECOM might be interesting to you.
But still ... come on ...

Newsradiofan said:
why the hell would you want to be in the bronx and pine for manhattan, when you could be in manhattan and not pine for a borough, a subway, a late night pizza joint, interesting professors, a good quality of life, etc.

Choose NYU. Don't make me come over there ...
Seriously though, unless of course you are interested in primary care/medicine of some sort. In which case AECOM might be interesting to you.
But still ... come on ...
NYU
My bebe would smack you
smack you into NYU
whats wrong with you OP???
no more crazy talk..u hear me???

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the cheering...any actual advice...especially if I don't care for the city (4 years NYU undergrad was enough)...and I will be keeping my car so the city is only min. away should I want to go there...

sinephera said:
Thanks for all the cheering...any actual advice...especially if I don't care for the city (4 years NYU undergrad was enough)...and I will be keeping my car so the city is only min. away should I want to go there...

In dealing with NYU since making this very decision, I have found it difficult to arrange for shared housing. Strike that, I have found it difficult to even have my questions about shared housing answered. I have been trying for over a week now and still nothing. I am afraid I am going to have to negotiate the housing market (which is no fun), so if you are going to be with someone in this endeavor, don't overlook the housing situation (not just cost but also headache). The express bus from einstein is definitely nice, the cheap housing is very nice, and the ease of having a car in their parking garage is also a plus (we may not be able to bring our car afterall if we live in the city, if not then the advantage of "being in the city" is somewhat negated by the need to commute to brooklyn or queens). Therefore, I would say don't make the decision only based on living (ie in manhattan vs just outside manhattan because there are pros and cons to both). Although as a previous poster alluded to, if you are interested in Medicine, AECOM may be perfect for you, if you are not sure, or want to do a specialty.....NYU may be a better option. Best of luck to you again!!

I'm just curious as to why people are suggesting that NYU would be better for specialties than AECOM. Granted I know next to nothing about NYU, but I know people who have gotten into good or great residencies in very competitive specialties from AECOM (e.g. I don't know exactly how it works with fellowships as opposed to residencies, that is with regard to choice of med school, but I know somebody from AECOM who did interventional cardiology at Vanderbilt). I'm not disagreeing here, I'm genuinely curious, since I'll be applying to AECOM this cycle.

tigress said:
I'm just curious as to why people are suggesting that NYU would be better for specialties than AECOM. Granted I know next to nothing about NYU, but I know people who have gotten into good or great residencies in very competitive specialties from AECOM (e.g. I don't know exactly how it works with fellowships as opposed to residencies, that is with regard to choice of med school, but I know somebody from AECOM who did interventional cardiology at Vanderbilt). I'm not disagreeing here, I'm genuinely curious, since I'll be applying to AECOM this cycle.

No disrespect to AECOM. They have a very good match including to specialties. But, it is well known that they put a heavy focus on Medicine. Also, NYU has a very good match record when it comes to the more competitive specialties. Therefore, if you look at it overall in terms of numbers, not on an individual basis, you have a better chance of getting something coming out of NYU. That is just the impression I have gotten from....most people I have spoken with (nyu students, einstein students, etc).

jdovez said:
No disrespect to AECOM. They have a very good match including to specialties. But, it is well known that they put a heavy focus on Medicine. Also, NYU has a very good match record when it comes to the more competitive specialties. Therefore, if you look at it overall in terms of numbers, not on an individual basis, you have a better chance of getting something coming out of NYU. That is just the impression I have gotten from....most people I have spoken with (nyu students, einstein students, etc).

Well, I guess AECOM does sort of have an emphesis on Medicine. Actually, they have this cool residency program in and Social Internal Medicine, which has a really interesting approach to medicine. Anyway, I was just curious about the difference. Before coming to sdn I though that NYU was perhaps a top school, but here on sdn people seem to think it's not. Personally I don't care about rankings or anything like that, anyway, but it's good to know what schools are strongest in. Thanks for the info :)

Well, I'll just weigh in the obvious: Both are indeed good schools. US news ranks them as 32 (NYU) and 38 (AECOM), so as far as that goes one is not exactly far superior to the other.

The responses here have been well... less than eloquent. Exception being jdovez, who offers the best evidence. However, I don't think you will be outright excluded from any specialities going to AECOM over NYU. But it's likely you may have to work harder in some respect, just by the virtue NYU is a more prolific school.

I don't have to make the decsion, or anything like it. What I can say about AECOM is that they seem to exude a very friendly atmosphere (which is what made it my top choice, among other things); basically I'd want to be there for 4+ years.

Really, the ranking isn't that much different. In this case, go to where you can imagine yourself being for four years. I don't think there will be any 'closed doors' per se if you go to AECOM or NYU.

Again though, the option that you have was not availible to me, so I hate even giving advice for an experience I haven't had...

tigress said:
Well, I guess AECOM does sort of have an emphesis on Medicine. Actually, they have this cool residency program in and Social Internal Medicine, which has a really interesting approach to medicine. Anyway, I was just curious about the difference. Before coming to sdn I though that NYU was perhaps a top school, but here on sdn people seem to think it's not. Personally I don't care about rankings or anything like that, anyway, but it's good to know what schools are strongest in. Thanks for the info :)

no doubt.
I ended up choosing NYU, but it was a CLOSE call and every day I wonder if I made the right one, but, in the end we will all have an MD, our experience getting there will just be slightly different depending on the route. Therefore, it would make sense to choose which experience you would like the best.

Note* I really liked the student closeness and friendliness at AECOM, and had I not personally known several students at NYU well, I may have chosen AECOM based on the perception of the NYU students I got during the interview day!

Note 2* To a (wo)man, all of my close friends who just graduated med school said that I really should choose based on where I see myself being "happiest with the best lifestyle"

As far as ranking, AECOM went down quite a bit in the past year. My friend who's in grad school there says a bunch of PIs are leaving because there isn't adequate lab space. I know my PI from the summer I did research there left to go to Columbia. She was head of a department at AECOM, but apparently Columbia offered a bigger department head position or something, plus lots of lab space and stuff. Anyway, my friend says they are building a new lab building and it's supposed to attract new research. I'm not sure what any of this means, but if you're interested in research I guess it might mean something to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer at AECOM came from Columbia--and she had been working at columbia for a long time. She said it was the best move she has ever made and she doesn't even look back.

sinephera said:
Please...please...vote.

Any comments are also appreciated.

PS what is the grading system at AECOM?

Housing at NYU for med students SUCKS A$$!! Unless you either A: want to share a studio or 1 bedroom with someone you don't know for the next 2-4 years or B: can afford Greenwich Village off-campus housing (~$1200 p/mnth for a 1 bedroom of questionable nature), then I'd suggest looking at Einstein again. Einstein GUARANTEES housing with full ameneties and a workout facility. Oh, and A/C too! :)

Sorry I don't talk much about the actual schools. Medical school is medical school, especially when comparing regional schools (ie, NY schools to other NY schools). Housing is what's really important, seeing as you'l be spending many hours sleeping and studying there!

the1111gal said:
My interviewer at AECOM came from Columbia--and she had been working at columbia for a long time. She said it was the best move she has ever made and she doesn't even look back.

lol...maybe they're busy switching faculty :p

Actually, my research experience at AECOM was awesome. That was a few years ago, though. But there is nice research happening there. I was really surprised to see that my old PI had moved.

BS. I can tell you are not a member of the NYU community. I don't know a single person who Shares a studio or 1 bedroom. Housing here at NYU is by far the cheapest (not one of the cheapest, the cheapest) of Manhattan schools. Even greenberg and skirball apartments are cheaper. Rubin Hall dorm rooms are cheaper and more spacious than Columbia dorms. At $600 bucks a month, free cable TV, free utilities- it won't be the ritz, but who cares the only people who stay in their rooms are the introverts.

Sanctuary said:
Housing at NYU for med students SUCKS A$$!! Unless you either A: want to share a studio or 1 bedroom with someone you don't know for the next 2-4 years or B: can afford Greenwich Village off-campus housing (~$1200 p/mnth for a 1 bedroom of questionable nature), then I'd suggest looking at Einstein again. Einstein GUARANTEES housing with full ameneties and a workout facility. Oh, and A/C too! :)

Sorry I don't talk much about the actual schools. Medical school is medical school, especially when comparing regional schools (ie, NY schools to other NY schools). Housing is what's really important, seeing as you'l be spending many hours sleeping and studying there!

the1111gal said:

I think we might have had the same person...mine said she was known as "the Columbia snob" ...and she spent a lot of time talking about herself and how happy she is working there... :confused: a little too much...

That aside I want to thank everyone...this is all awesome info. I agree about the AECOM's housing superiority...especially since I will be going for couples housing which NYU simply does not have.
I am one of those freaks that never dormed...always apartments shared with people I know...so communal bathrooms etc....simply scary stuff :scared: .

I am, however, aiming for orthopedics...so AECOM's decline is not looking good. But their recent placement looks good and they take their own...

Does anyone know about rotations abroad at NYU...AECOM seems to have lots of great options?

Thanks again.

sinephera said:
I think we might have had the same person...mine said she was known as "the Columbia snob" ...and she spent a lot of time talking about herself and how happy she is working there... :confused: a little too much...

That aside I want to thank everyone...this is all awesome info. I agree about the AECOM's housing superiority...especially since I will be going for couples housing which NYU simply does not have.
I am one of those freaks that never dormed...always apartments shared with people I know...so communal bathrooms etc....simply scary stuff :scared: .

I am, however, aiming for orthopedics...so AECOM's decline is not looking good. But their recent placement looks good and they take their own...

Does anyone know about rotations abroad at NYU...AECOM seems to have lots of great options?

Thanks again.

If you want to do away rotations at NYU, there is no problem. However, I do not know about international rotations, sorry. However, NYU DOES have couples housing, but you have to be married or in a domestic partnership. If you are in a state that allows domestic partnerships and you are really in a committed relationship, this may not be a bad way to try to get "married" housing. However, its hard as hell to get the info from them!

Op,
You can get couples housing at NYU- like jdovez said. Sounds like you are about to make a HUGE decision in your life. I think it would be in your best interest to thoroughly and accurately investigate all your concerns. It sounds like some of your sources are not accurate (eg housing). In any event, please PM me if you have any questions for a current NYU student.

sinephera said:

Thanks again.

faculty movement has little to do with whatever is important to medical students. basic science faculty move because of lab space and $$. Clinical faculty usually move because of $$ incentives, a better payor mix, etc.

for a potential ms1, both are good schools. nonetheless, nyu has a far superior match list. einstein provides cheaper housing, but that's the only clear advantage. einstein's probably a better choice for those with family/children, since there are plenty of med students/residents/postdocs with kids (a small community for the youngsters).

I am well aware that there is married housing... but here is a direct quote from the NYU site:
"Accommodations for student couples (married or documented domestic partnerships) are usually not available for incoming students, but we urge you to communicate with the Housing Office as soon as you are offered admission to the School".

I also spoke to some people and they say the shortage is so bad it is next to impossible to get it as an incoming student, especially ones comming in this late.

This late in the game, you are right. If by now you have not turned in your housing application for couples or made any formal request for couples housing--you probably won't get it. Unfortunately lucrative spots like couples housing are very time sensitive. They are literally first come first serve. In any event, it sounds like you (OP) are not looking forward to living in Manhattan again and you don't want to part with your car. If this is true, you would probably better off attending AE. Good luck whichever school you choose.

sinephera said:
I am well aware that there is married housing... but here is a direct quote from the NYU site:
"Accommodations for student couples (married or documented domestic partnerships) are usually not available for incoming students, but we urge you to communicate with the Housing Office as soon as you are offered admission to the School".

I also spoke to some people and they say the shortage is so bad it is next to impossible to get it as an incoming student, especially ones comming in this late.