Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

AECOM waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GoGoPandaBot, Mar 13, 2007.

1. GoGoPandaBot

GoGoPandaBot Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else stuck on this waitlist with any clue about the chance of getting off of it?

2. Smiles91084

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm with you. I doubt I'll get in. The waitlist letter doesn't give much hope, but AECOM isn't my first choice, so no hard feelings.

3. Mortal_Lessons

Mortal_Lessons H.Perowne
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How is AECOM generally regarded in the NY area--exactly how it stands on the US News & World Rankings Report, as in below Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and Mt. Sinai, or something else?

4. OP
    OP
    GoGoPandaBot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wasn't particularly informative. It basically just asked if you want to be dropped from it, and if not, to tell them you want to remain on it. I guess they can't get too excited about someone they don't really want that bad, unless others reject them first.

5. stevo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did the letter actually ask if you want to remain on it? I don't remember that part. I thought it just said you won't be reviewed again until the summer months and hopes are slim.

6. aristotle123

Pre-Medical
    just wondering-- did you guys receive the HOLD list letter or the WAIT list letter?

7. OP
    OP
    GoGoPandaBot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the letter said : (and this is post interview)

"happy to inform you that your application has been very favorably considered, and placed on our hold list which will be reviewed often, as places become available.

If you want to remain under consideration, please write to us immediately saying so.... bleh bleh...."

so it's hold, not wait, although I don't really understand the distinction.

8. Purplerainangel

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've been told that Hold is the better one...

9. Kappy1

Kappy1 Bleach and Glass Cleaner
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've just recived the waitlist letter. Does anyone know if writing a letter of intent or taking my MCAT again (the weakness of my application) will help my situation at this point or should I just call the admissions office? Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. A Tree

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey - may I ask when you interviewed? Good luck!

11. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I interviewed 2/5.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. aristotle123

Pre-Medical
    I called the admissions office two weeks ago to ask about the distinction between hold and wait list. The person basically told me that the "hold list" is for those who would've been accepted had there been spots available. Once spots become available (hopefully post may 15th when people can only hold one acceptance) they will start pullling people off the HOLD list first. Then once those people are taken in, the wait list people go next.

13. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

It sounds like this may be the text of the waitlist. This is what I got also. The wording of the letter did not portend good things.

14. OP
    OP
    GoGoPandaBot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hold list movement has begun. I was accepted off the list on Friday. Anyone else?

15. Pagz09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well, i guess that's for the hold list, not the wait list. my letter says the wait list is evaluated over the summer, and the chances are not good. blah.

16. byong_soo

byong_soo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    nice~ congrats pandabot

17. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Was there any sort of waitlist (hold, favorably reviewed, waitlist) movement?

18. hopskotchsketch

i'm on hold. no update here.

19. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

bump

20. aristotle123

Pre-Medical
    just got accepted off the hold list via email! good luck to the rest of you!

21. jacks

Pre-Medical
    Hey Aristotle, when did you interview and get your hold status? I interviewed end of December, was put on hold in February-ish, and am still waiting :/

22. aristotle123

Pre-Medical
    Hi there,
    I interviewed in mid december and got put on the hold list in early february as well. I called once back in march to see what the deal with the hold list was and the office told me that it was the preferred list for students who would've gotten in had there been enough spots. I know lots of people who ended up turning down einstein for various reasons (i.e bronx location and tuition costs).. so thats a good thing for the hold list people. I think I got off the hold list due to persistence though, so if you really want it.. go and get it!.. good luck!!

23. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone else hear anything. Was there any hold list/wait list/favorably reviewed list movement?

24. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is there anyone else out there who is waitlisted and really wants to go to AECOM? AECOM is my first choice and I really would like to get accepted here.

25. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would consider AECOM strongly as well. I was not placed on the "hold" list though. I was put on the regular waiting list. Does anyone have a realistic understanding of what my chances are?(not an opinion, but something factual)

26. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not sure realistically what our chances are. (I'm wiith you on the regular waitlist). But on the AECOM website it mentions that until July the waitlist is being cut in half from 400 applicants to 200 applicants. By August the waitlist is cut down to 50 applicants and by orientation it is cut down to 20 applicants. As long as you are not rejected at this point the better the chances. I had a friend last year who was accepted a week before school started and I know of three or four people accepted 3 weeks before school started. Did anyone on the waitlist get a recent rejection so that we could Know if the cut down has begun. ( If you don't want to post I understand and you can PM me if possible.)

27. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    bump

28. muffindoctor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was on the hold list and got an email asking me to tell them if I want to remain on the list or not and also to inform them if they are my first choice.

I am currently holding an acceptance at Georgetown and don't know which is supposed to be better. Does anyone have any advice?

29. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Both are great schools and you will be getting a top notch medical education. In terms of residency, if you would like to have one in New York I believe it is a little easier to get in from a New York School. You will be rotating through New York hospitals and New York residency directors will get to know you. Though Georgetown I believe is ranked as a better school in US News and World report research wise, whatever that is worth to you.

30. fearthemailbox

Pre-Medical
    YO

Anyone have any opinions pertaining to Einstein vs. NYU?

Thanks

31. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My advice would be that you should be absolutley sure when you answer whether it is your first choice or not. They may hold you to that...If you don't absolutely need to live in the city than why not go to Georgetown?

32. muffindoctor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you should check the nyu waitlist thread...I read something about that a few days ago

33. muffindoctor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For me it's just a matter of whether or not I should bother staying on the waitlist. I actually prefer Washington D.C. but I want to give myself the very best opportunities and I'm afraid that there's some magical and great thing about AECOM that I just don't know about.

34. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Magical? Not in the Bronx buddy!:)

35. fearthemailbox

Pre-Medical
    In reference to the Georgetown question, Einstein has the P/F grading system in place while Im pretty sure Georgetown has the whole High Pass, Low Pass, etc. deal. This could mean for a less competitive and more cooperative first 2 years, depending on who you talk to. Although location is not optimum in Bronx, the subsidized housing is very nice at Einstein and very cheap as compared to D.C. apartments around Georgetown. Finally, for whatever its worth, Einstein has a much better Primary Care ranking than Georgetown while they are very close in the research poll. Thus, as is obvious by now, I think the intangibles are in Einstein's favor.

36. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    bump

37. Hyper MUSEic

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys!! I just got accepted off the hold list today at about 11:15AM!! So excited!!! I was placed on the hold list mid May so it was a pretty quick turn around. Good luck to the rest of you!!

38. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

i vote that there's something magical about the students.

39. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha! of course. it was just a New Yorker (me) poking fun at the Bronx.

40. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congradulations to all those who were accepted off the hold list. I hope their is a spot for me, as I wait on the regular waitlist.

41. muffindoctor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    do any of you have any idea what the average USMLE step 1 score is? what percentage of students get into their top 3 choices for residency? Any stats at all?

42. fearthemailbox

Pre-Medical
    I am withdrawn from AECOM as of today, so I hope one of you ransacks my spot. I was sad to do it - they are very nice over there. Good luck with future doctoring.

43. whoami

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Georgetown is ranked 44th, AECOM is ranked 39th research and 18th primary care. But that is close enough to be called equal, which city you think you will fit in more and where you want to do residency?

I think it's close to a toss up but you have an acceptance from Georgetown, so just withdraw from the list and give someone that really wants to go there a chance.

44. greenwinds

Medical Student
    i have withdrawan from AECOM as of yesterday to attend SUNY instead. I do not believe AECOM is worth double the tuition. good luck all who are on the waitlist.

-green

45. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anybody know a somewhat exact number of applicants accepted off the regular waitlist in the past?

46. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think one person was accepted last year. That was posted on last years SDN's waitlist thread. That doesn't mean more were not accepted. But from SDNers only one.

47. abeytt03

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow. So we really have no chance. Thanks for the reality check.

48. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think we have no chance. Be positive. Me or you may be the one who is taken this year. Every year is different. This year they may take more. I have seen a number of people drop their acceptances because of the cost this year. Hopefully that opens spots for us.

49. Kappy1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone hear anything new?

50. SuperHiro

SuperHiro Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stay positive guys, there is always a chance. Seems like quite a few of us SDNers withdrew in the past few weeks, myself included. Good Luck :luck: