AED question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schooltill30

Doctor Acula
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How valuable is a membership and activity in AED (Alpha Epsilon Delta, Honors Premed Society) in the application process. Specifically if I'm going to have plenty of volunteering and research positions before I apply. I'm asking because I don't really want to pay the dues (cheap college guy-itis), and because I'd rather devote my time to my grades if AED isn't worth all that much. Also, what has been your experience with AED, if you have it?

Members don't see this ad.

How valuable is a membership and activity in AED (Alpha Epsilon Delta, Honors Premed Society) in the application process. Specifically if I'm going to have plenty of volunteering and research positions before I apply. I'm asking because I don't really want to pay the dues (cheap college guy-itis), and because I'd rather devote my time to my grades if AED isn't worth all that much. Also, what has been your experience with AED, if you have it?

Its worthless unless you plan on being on the exec board and planning events or if you're lazy and kind find your own opportunities to volunteer or learn about med school/being a doctor.

Its worthless unless you plan on being on the exec board and planning events or if you're lazy and kind find your own opportunities to volunteer or learn about med school/being a doctor.

Even if you're on the exec board, it's worthless. It's about the most unoriginal and pre-meddish thing you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of these pay-for-honor societies are basically a way of saying, "I have really good grades." This is not necessary in med school applications, because your actual grades are on the application and will speak for themselves.

The only reason to do this would be if you need leadership experience and plan to take a very active role in your school's chapter.

About as valuable as all the other resume building crap

Any of these pay-for-honor societies are basically a way of saying, "I have really good grades."

Hell, that's not even true, most of these societies have a cutoff of a 3.0, honor society my ass

Phi Beta Kappa is the only thing worth joining in my opinion

Hell, that's not even true, most of these societies have a cutoff of a 3.0, honor society my ass

OMG, really? I figured it had to be at least 3.5+.

Well, let me amend my earlier statement: this is basically a way of saying, "I don't have objectionably bad grades.":laugh:

Definitely don't bother. FWIW, I just heard that the "AED guy" I knew in undergrad (the one who was really into it as a 'resume builder' and told me I'd never get in to med school unless I 'had the credential') was rejected for the 3rd year in a row ....

Great place to pick up chicks :)

It's about as useless as boobs on a boy dog. :laugh: