AEGD and GPR Program info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shelly78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am relatively new to this forum. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how the AEGD and GPR specialty programs are different from each other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i found i direct comparison for the two at the dental 4 year forum.
they said that aegd is a waist of time while the gpr is a real experience but i think gpr are not allowed for foreign trained dentists(thats for sure)

hi shelly,
aegd is like internship(you do all kinds of cases like you done in dental school)gpr is more hospital based program(treating medically compramised patients) . in gpr you will get real good experience which you wont get in a dental school.that is my impression
thanks
honest

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gsmm
i found i direct comparison for the two at the dental 4 year forum.
they said that aegd is a waist of time while the gpr is a real experience but i think gpr are not allowed for foreign trained dentists(thats for sure)

:laugh: :laugh:

Jezzz..... you're really a descriptive and detail giving person, aren't you? :laugh: :laugh:

Shelly, what Honest said is basically it, but you could find more detail by performing a search on the forum and also on the dental forum.

Here is advise: don't even bother. I've tried and just waisted my time. And I've never heard about a foreign trained to have entered a program like this.

Hi Meggs,
you have an excellent memory:clap: :clap:
Even I had gone through all those posts when I had just registered in the forum.I went through all those 'million' posts ,but I can't recall like you do...
You are too good ,meggs:thumbup: :thumbup:
take care

Hi Meggs,
you have an excellent memory:clap: :clap:
Even I had gone through all those posts when I had just registered in the forum.I went through all those 'million' posts ,but I can't recall like you do...
You are too good ,meggs:thumbup: :thumbup:
take care

Acc to my knowledge GPR involves hospital based training- like administering GA and treating pts under GA which is why foreign students are not allowed.

New rules allow foreign dentists who have 2yrs of advanced education in general dentistry in US to practice. Lot of states are accaepting us to copmpensate for underserved areas. I think AEGD is a wonderful option to get advanced clinical training as well as to be eligible to practice instead of doing advanced standing.

Below is a response I got from NYS licenure board:

In order for a foreign dental graduate to become licensed in New York
State, the candidate must take two years of additional dental education
in general dentistry leading to the DDS or DMD degree in an ADA
accredited dental school in the US or Canada (you are not limited to New York
State Schools only).

After completion of the educational program, we require passing scores
on the National Dental Examinations Parts I and II and on the clinical
examination administered by the North East Regional Board of Dental
Examiners (NERB) OR completion of the educational program, National Boards
Parts I and II and completion of an ADA accredited residency program.
Citizenship or green card is also a requirement.

The requirements are available on our web site:
http://www.op.nysed.gov/dent.htm

NYS Board for Dentistry

Thanks , people, for taking the time to reply!! Appreciate it!

Originally posted by meggs
:laugh: :laugh:

Jezzz..... you're really a descriptive and detail giving person, aren't you? :laugh: :laugh:

meggs, dont pick on me..basically i dont know the difference:laugh: :laugh:

Hey all,
smiledoc and second edition are two foreign trained dentists enrolled in a specialty program,so, I don't think it's impossible to get into such a program. There are very few universities where foreign trained dentists are considered for GPR, but they do exist. I'm going to give it a shot.

Originally posted by shelly78
...smiledoc and second edition are two foreign trained dentists enrolled in a specialty program,so, I don't think it's impossible to get into such a program.....

General Practice Residency is not considered a specialty program.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys i have a specific question in this gpr issue..
if someone finished 1 or 2 years of gpr, can this qualify him for licensure in any state..or he have to start again with a specialty?

Originally posted by gsmm
if someone finished 1 or 2 years of gpr, can this qualify him for licensure in any state..or he have to start again with a specialty?

That my dear, is THE question.

GPR/AEGD are postdoctoral programmes, still, not specialities. The scope and content of postdoctoral general dentistry programs differ from institution to institution throughout the US. Some are hospital based (general practice residencies or GPR) and others are clinic or community based (advanced education in general dentistry or AEGD).
In many instances, institutions offer residency programs, which have elements of both the GPR and AEGD.
In ninety-five percent of the postdoctoral programs, residents are salaried, health and medical malpractice insurance are covered, and dental school loans are deferred.
Good things about GPR/AEGD.
1) No tuition fee, most of the instances you will get stipend too.
2) After 2 years of training you can apply for license in some states
3) You will get hands on clinical training, which helps a lot than doing classroom speciality training.
Tips for lazy bums:
1) Do a search for the programmes which accept non Us citizens/ permanent residents and foreign trained dentists at PASS, participating post doctoral programmes. http://www.adea.org/PASS/default.htm
Few hospitals/schools accept foreign trained dentists, apply to them.
Most of them are 1 year but 2-year programmes too exist. If you have two year GPR/AEGD you can apply for license in some states, what they want is not training in speciality, but minimum 2 years of clinical training at the school (hospital at which applicant met the same level of scientific knowledge and clinical competence as all graduates from that school/hospital. The 2-year clinical training shall consist of 2850 clock hours complete in 2 academic years for full time applicants. (These are exact words from Illinois dental board).
2) You can find here the links to all state boards in one page. http://www.aadexam.org/links.htm

Originally posted by nondentist
[/url]

Just to a remainder..... The Graduate Medical Education (GME) funding from the government suffered a cut this year. And of course this affects stipends and tuition at many AEGD and GPR programs.

Among other things, this is one of the main reasons some schools are making cuts in these programs. Such as UCSF closing it's AEGD (and filling the empty seats with IDP student's ;) ). Also some schools that didn't use to have a tuition fee, are now making you pay to attend their programs.

And of course, to all of the above add the fact that we are foreign trained students. So chances are we're not getting a stipend...... if we get in.

Hi everyone,
This thread is getting very interesting and important info re speciality programs.
My question abt AEGD and licensure is:
Can we do 1 yr AEGD program in 2 schools or twice in the same school to get license?(Only Univ of Rochester and Maryland are offering a 2 yr program).

Most schools have a one year program but some schools will have a 2 year program.Still better some schools may have a one year program with a second year option.As far as I know one year AEGD in 2 different schools shld be fine.However it is better to have 2 years in the same school.Also understand that doing 2 years of advance standing which will culminate into a DDS or DMD will make you eligible for licensure across the nation.But with AEGD you will be restricted to practice in certain states.So,if I were you I would go with the AEGD route only if I know for sure where I want to live and make sure that state accepts AEGD as fulfilment of clinical training.

Originally posted by drmouse
.However it is better to have 2 years in the same school.Also understand that doing 2 years of advance standing which will culminate into a DDS or DMD will make you eligible for licensure across the nation.But with AEGD you will be restricted to practice in certain states..

who cares i mean we are all here to get the license in any way,it doesent matter which state you can practice in as long as it has an american flag over its state building,and you can get the license anywhere you want after practicing there for 3 years so guys if you get it,go for it.

Originally posted by toothlord
you can get the license anywhere you want after practicing there for 3 years so guys if you get it,go for it.

First of all if I understand that correctly it is 5 years and not 3 years and that applies only to graduates of accredited schools.When it comes to foreign trained dentists the rules are not the same and the states which reject a foreign trained dentist now will reject them then too.However,rules can change five years from now.

hey guys! hang on lemme get this straight....yu mean to say, that, if one has eligibility to practice in just 1 single state, and if he/she does practice in that state, say for 5 years, upon that he/she can practice in ALL the states of USA?
(yeah i assume that the regional boards as applicable to each state needs to be taken though....) but is this what you guys are talking about? so that means that the thousands of foreign dentists licenced in CA, will be able to practice ANYWHERE after 5 years??

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN
hey guys! hang on lemme get this straight....yu mean to say, that, if one has eligibility to practice in just 1 single state, and if he/she does practice in that state, say for 5 years, upon that he/she can practice in ALL the states of USA?
(yeah i assume that the regional boards as applicable to each state needs to be taken though....) but is this what you guys are talking about? so that means that the thousands of foreign dentists licenced in CA, will be able to practice ANYWHERE after 5 years??

Well thats something called reciprocity.What that means is that if you have been practicing in a state for 5 years and are in good standing you will be eligible for licensure in most states.But you still got to apply for a license.However that differs from state to state.Not all states offer reciprocity.States like Florida don't offer reciprocity.California started offering reciprocity in the last couple of years.But all that applies to graduates of accredited dental schools.Rules are different for foreign trained though.If I understand it correctly,even if a foreign trained dentist gets licensed in any one state in the US for example California by taking the boards or doing AEGD or GPR they will not be eligible for reciprocity in the states where they require foreign trained dentists to do advanced standing and get a DDS or DMD.Also most GPR or AEGD programs give you a certificate of completion and not a diplomaso you got to stick with what you have which in case of India would be BDS.However a foreign trained dentist who has completed advanced standing or IDP will be eligible for reciprocity in states which allow reciprocity.

I'm just amazed at the way we foreigners misinform ourselves because we want to "beleive in magic" (like the TV ad).

I mean, if you do freshman and sophomore years in one dental school, and then you go ahead and repeat them in other dental school, will that grant you a DDS degree?

So, repeating twice 1 year AEGD program will grant you the 2 year degree??????

Do you honestly think all states will grant reciprocity to foreign trained dentists?

Magic does NOT exists. Maybe miracles but not magic.

Originally posted by meggs

So, repeating twice 1 year AEGD program will grant you the 2 year degree??????

AEGD doesnot grant you a degree.However it gives you a certificate of completion.If you do 1 year programs in 2 different schools,you are not repeating AEGD.And you will get certificates from each school.And that will fulfil your 2 year clinical training requirement in some states.You will still have a degree from your own country and will not be considered a graduate from ADA accredited schools.You will still be considered a foreign trained dentist and maynot even be eligible for speciality programs in some schools.

Actually some of those 2 year AEGD residencies grant a Masters degree.

What is the job situation with a 2 yr AEGD? How difficult is it to get a job and what kind of jobs are avaliable?
Did anyone we know went through this route?

Now very few schools are offering a direct 2 YR AEGD, but some offer a 1 yr + 2nd year on competitive basis. Does anyone know abt those schools?

health

one thing i know is that your initial pay will be pretty low compared to DDS/DMD dentists, if you are opting for a closed panel kind of a job; the second thing is that your malpractice and disability insurance will be really, really high for the first few years...!

Wow Kajal, I sure didn't know about those salaries and insurance rates discrepances among IDP graduates and other foreign trained dentist.

But still, they won't be in as much debt as we'll be.

Originally posted by health
Now very few schools are offering a direct 2 YR AEGD, but some offer a 1 yr + 2nd year on competitive basis.

I wonder how competitive would be to get admitted to the 2nd year. Does anyone knows?

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN

definitely.

Originally posted by toothlord
definitely.

About a year ago I looked into that and I didn't came up with any state that would have allow that. I didn't search all states ('cause I got disapointed).

What states have confirmed you that will grant license to foreign trained dentists based on their record in some other state?

ILLINOIS requires you to practice at least three years in any other american state to get the license,iam sure of it though you have to check it out because the state boards change their minds according to dentist shortage or availablity

Hi guys,

I just spoke to Dr.Lawney from NYS dental board about licensure for foreign trained dentists after AEGD program.

- we have to do a 2 year AEGD program from a dental school
(* not hospital based institution) like Univ of rochester or buffalo.
- after completion of 2 yr AEGD+NDBE 1&2 we have to apply for NERB(along with dean's letter).
-*The dean of the school where you got AEGD should give a letter recommending you. Completion certificate is not enough.

- Once you finish NERB, you can practice in federally designated underserved areas only unless you have a green card or citizenship.

(I think that there are lot of underserved areas in the state- even in NYC.)

-
:eek: :eek:
-*The dean of the school where you got AEGD should give a letter recommending you. Completion certificate is not enough.

:eek: What if the dean doesn't likes you? :oops:

Yeah, and specially for us inmigrants that won't be so hard to find. :cool:

Even after taking the same licensure exam(NERB) we will not be allowed to practice wherever we want.
And I guess we will not be a DDS...so what kind of a degree will we get after AEGD program?
Thanks

No DDS degree will be given after AEGD. We'll get a license stating that we are equivalent to a DDS to provide care, like the certificate program of Chicago.

If you like to work in an underserved area, your salary I think will be fairly good. Over that your case for green card will be strong.

Guys dont cling to false hopes ,be realistic.
If for example you get licensed in CA after passing the bench, you are NOT eligible for licensure by resiprocity in any other state even after a gazillion years. Just go check the website for any dental board that accepts reciprocity they require your degree to be an accredited DDS . Dont take the words or guesses of others do your own invstigation and find facts not opinions!

State boards are very notorious in dealing with foreign dentists ( need I remind everyone of the Ca fiasco) so dont be under their mercy make sure whatever route you go is guaranteed.

I personally dont think if you finish 2 one year GPr's at different schhols that will make you eligible for licensure anywhere. As I said find the facts for yourself.

Originally posted by Dentoman
State boards are very notorious in dealing with foreign dentists (need I remind everyone of the Ca fiasco) .....

What's the CA fiasco???

And I totally agree with you about beign realistic.

No DDS degree will be given after AEGD. We'll get a license stating that we are equivalent to a DDS to provide care, like the certificate program of Chicago.

I don't think the certificate after you get after completing AEGD will say tha you are equivalent to a DDS.It will just say that you completed an AEGD program.The Chicago certificate program is different from AEGD because UIC certificate program is for foreign trained dentists and so its certificate may state that you are equivalent to a DDS.Thats what I think.I could be wrong.

Hi guys,

I just spoke to Dr.Lawney from NYS dental board about licensure for foreign trained dentists after AEGD program.

- after completion of 2 yr AEGD+NDBE 1&2 we have to apply for NERB(along with dean's letter).

- Once you finish NERB, you can practice in federally designated underserved areas only unless you have a green card or citizenship.

I wonder how many schools have their deans working with the AEGD residents.And I doubt if they would recommend you.Most of the times they want to play safe and may refuse to give a letter of recommendation.happened to my friend.

hi everybody!! :) I am from Argentina and I have been selected for an interview for the Boston University AEGD Program and I¨ll be required to perform a practical brench test consisting of 2 different preparations. I would like to know what kind of preparations are, where can I find information about the clinica procedures for these preparatoins and receive any other advices for my interview.

hi,
i am a foreign graduate,now in canada as a permanent resident.i am applying for AEGD in rochester.i would like to know the admission process and can i do private practice after completion of this program.is it feasible to join or should i retake part1 and go for DDS.
thanks

KAJALKIRAN said:
one thing i know is that your initial pay will be pretty low compared to DDS/DMD dentists, if you are opting for a closed panel kind of a job; the second thing is that your malpractice and disability insurance will be really, really high for the first few years...!

hi,
i am a foreign graduate,now in canada as a permanent resident.i am applying for AEGD in rochester.i would like to know the admission process and can i do private practice after completion of this program.is it feasible to join or should i retake part1 and go for DDS.
thanks

health said:
Acc to my knowledge GPR involves hospital based training- like administering GA and treating pts under GA which is why foreign students are not allowed.

New rules allow foreign dentists who have 2yrs of advanced education in general dentistry in US to practice. Lot of states are accaepting us to copmpensate for underserved areas. I think AEGD is a wonderful option to get advanced clinical training as well as to be eligible to practice instead of doing advanced standing.

Below is a response I got from NYS licenure board:

In order for a foreign dental graduate to become licensed in New York
State, the candidate must take two years of additional dental education
in general dentistry leading to the DDS or DMD degree in an ADA
accredited dental school in the US or Canada (you are not limited to New York
State Schools only).

After completion of the educational program, we require passing scores
on the National Dental Examinations Parts I and II and on the clinical
examination administered by the North East Regional Board of Dental
Examiners (NERB) OR completion of the educational program, National Boards
Parts I and II and completion of an ADA accredited residency program.
Citizenship or green card is also a requirement.

The requirements are available on our web site:
http://www.op.nysed.gov/dent.htm

NYS Board for Dentistry

hi,
thanks

nondentist said:
GPR/AEGD are postdoctoral programmes, still, not specialities. The scope and content of postdoctoral general dentistry programs differ from institution to institution throughout the US. Some are hospital based (general practice residencies or GPR) and others are clinic or community based (advanced education in general dentistry or AEGD).
In many instances, institutions offer residency programs, which have elements of both the GPR and AEGD.
In ninety-five percent of the postdoctoral programs, residents are salaried, health and medical malpractice insurance are covered, and dental school loans are deferred.
2) After 2 years of training you can apply for license in some states
3) You will get hands on clinical training, which helps a lot than doing classroom speciality training.
Tips for lazy bums:
1) Do a search for the programmes which accept non Us citizens/ permanent residents and foreign trained dentists at PASS, participating post doctoral programmes. http://www.adea.org/PASS/default.htm
Few hospitals/schools accept foreign trained dentists, apply to them.
Most of them are 1 year but 2-year programmes too exist. If you have two year GPR/AEGD you can apply for license in some states, what they want is not training in speciality, but minimum 2 years of clinical training at the school (hospital at which applicant met the same level of scientific knowledge and clinical competence as all graduates from that school/hospital. The 2-year clinical training shall consist of 2850 clock hours complete in 2 academic years for full time applicants. (These are exact words from Illinois dental board).
2) You can find here the links to all state boards in one page. http://www.aadexam.org/links.htm

[
Hola, soy Uruguayo.Un honor poder hablar con un hermano Argentino y colega.
Lei y me gustaria si me puedes explicar si fuistes aceptado en Boston para la residencia de general dentistry.De ser asi, te agradeceria si me podes eplicar los pasos que hicises,requisitos etc .Yo cumplo todos los requisitos para el advancing standing program de 2 años por lo que supongo los requisitos seran los mismos.
Si me podes escribir a mi mail [email protected] te lo voy a agradecer muchisimo.
Desde ya ,un abrazo

QUOTE=silvi20;2119016]hi everybody!! :) I am from Argentina and I have been selected for an interview for the Boston University AEGD Program and I¨ll be required to perform a practical brench test consisting of 2 different preparations. I would like to know what kind of preparations are, where can I find information about the clinica procedures for these preparatoins and receive any other advices for my interview.[/QUOTE]

hi shelly,
aegd is like internship(you do all kinds of cases like you done in dental school)gpr is more hospital based program(treating medically compramised patients) . in gpr you will get real good experience which you wont get in a dental school.that is my impression
thanks
honest
hello for all ?i hope that every body in this site are allright ...actually im palestinian dentist ..finished in2006my bds....when i did ece for my degree hey consider it s completion 4 yearsin detal program ...now im going to apply for nbde part one....still i didnt pply it..now i need ur advice is this 2 years....considered as dds or ?the second question is that ...during applying for nbde exam can i attch to some dentist as dental hygietor as dental assistant....to support my self finiantialy?
im really wll thank u ifu reply to my question all....
i hope good life for all dentist at any where in the world
dr alkhader:love:

So is it a good option to apply for DDS (advanced standing) while doing AEGD ? Can I leave AEGD for the last two months and join DDS if I get in somewhere next year? I dont want to waste another year by working as dental assistant