AEGD/GPR option for an international dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAJ

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be graduating from DDS program abroad in 4 months. I am also a Canadian Citizen. I am considering the AEGD/GPR residency option as plan B option. I have many questions with regards to this to see if it is a viable option for me:

1) Which State offers dental license after 1 Year of AEGD/GPR?

2) I see some States requiring 2 years of AEGD/GPR but what if the AEGD/GPR is on 12 month period, then how can one bridge this mismatch? Can you extend your residency timeline from 1 year to 2 years at the residency program you match with?

3) Is the board exam INBDE required?

4) What is the cost of the AEGD/GPR program? Is there a monthly income as resident and how much is it?

5) What is life like as resident? types of procedures you mostly do (restorative, endo, crowns/bridges, extraction, examination & Tx planning)?

6) What is the process to apply for AEGD/GPR? What official website is used for the application? Is it the ADEA PASS website: ADEA PASS

Thanks, really appreciate any input.
Dr. AJ

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I searched around SDN and I found the answers to all my questions, so I am all good 👍

Members don't see this ad :)
if you could share the answers , all of us would be grateful to you

Hi there,

This is what I know:

State of Minnesota will review your file, doesn't require AGED/GPR but you will have to work under supervising dentist (it's a limited license)
State of Virginia accept 1 year AGED/GPR
8 other states accept 2 year AGED/GPR
You can read this blog, it is all there: How can a foreign trained dentist practice in USA?
If you study 2 years Dentistry at US institution, then you can work in any state and not be limited to one state, but it is more expensive.
The AGED/GPR programs are also one year programs so that is problem because you have to re-apply again if you want a State that requires 2 years
You can apply to them via ADEA PASS website: ADEA PASS.

Last edited:
if you could share the answers , all of us would be grateful to you
Hi so you actually joined in 2017, so what have you been doing since then?
I actually graduated and had my graduation ceremony 2 days ago. Now I am seeing my options.
Let me know via private message if you want to meet up and discuss this aged further, I would be interested.
Dr. Abdullah