mmdietrich

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
7
0
Status
Dental Student
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question- I am a 4th year at U of Iowa with a HPSP in the Air Force. I am applying for an AEGD. I have made my base selections and my top choices are 1) Langley 2) Eglin 3) Academy 4) Nellis.

I just had my interview and I was told that these are the most popular bases. They decide who goes where based on GPA, Class rank, and board score. Well my GPA is 3.61, class rank is 21 out of 74, and 90 on boards. The interviewer said I was competitive but not super competitive.

My question is how likely do you think I am to get at least one of my top choices. Do they take into account your family? I am married with one small child and another on the way.

Thank you for your time~
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
An AEGD through the military requires an extra year of pay back service, correct?
 

Utes

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
376
0
Status
Dentist
dexadental said:
An AEGD through the military requires an extra year of pay back service, correct?
I'm not sure about the Navy, but the Army recruiter and Air Force recruiter explained to me that if I did an AEGD it was a "neutral year" and did not add or take away from my commitment. I haven't seen anything in writing though.

Utes
 
About the Ads

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
If true, I wouldn't see any reason not to do one.
 

Dadoh

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
64
0
Status
Dental Student
It is a neutral year in that you don't incur anymore commitment, but it doesn't count towards payback...so if you take a four year commitment then you will be active in the military for five years... 1year general residency and then 4 years pay back. Other residencies incur a payback and if you do them after you already did your four years you will have to pay back for residency, BUT if you do a residency before you do the payback for dental school then the residency and the dental school payback happen at the same time. all obligations run concurrently. So in that sense it doesn't really matter that they call it a neutral year and that you don't incur a year of obligation with it. in brief, if you do a one year residency then you will be out in 5 instead of 4.
 

Dadoh

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
64
0
Status
Dental Student
mmdietrich said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question- I am a 4th year at U of Iowa with a HPSP in the Air Force. I am applying for an AEGD. I have made my base selections and my top choices are 1) Langley 2) Eglin 3) Academy 4) Nellis.

I just had my interview and I was told that these are the most popular bases. They decide who goes where based on GPA, Class rank, and board score. Well my GPA is 3.61, class rank is 21 out of 74, and 90 on boards. The interviewer said I was competitive but not super competitive.

My question is how likely do you think I am to get at least one of my top choices. Do they take into account your family? I am married with one small child and another on the way.

Thank you for your time~
How many bases have the AEGD?
 

Dadoh

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
64
0
Status
Dental Student
mmdietrich said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question- I am a 4th year at U of Iowa with a HPSP in the Air Force. I am applying for an AEGD. I have made my base selections and my top choices are 1) Langley 2) Eglin 3) Academy 4) Nellis.

I just had my interview and I was told that these are the most popular bases. They decide who goes where based on GPA, Class rank, and board score. Well my GPA is 3.61, class rank is 21 out of 74, and 90 on boards. The interviewer said I was competitive but not super competitive.

My question is how likely do you think I am to get at least one of my top choices. Do they take into account your family? I am married with one small child and another on the way.

Thank you for your time~
I know that the AGDs in the army are not very competive. The Army tends to make these at popular bases, maybe to attract more people. I know that normally one couldn't get to some of these bases right out of school, but if one did an AGD it only takes average stats to get to a nice base. Of course they will probably only be there for that year. I would talk to whoever makes those assignments. sometimes it takes a few calls to get to the right person in the military, but I have learned that it is worthwhile to take the time to find the right person to talk to than getting a bunch of different answers from people like me that have limited knowledge.
 
OP
M

mmdietrich

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
7
0
Status
Dental Student
Dadoh said:
I know that the AGDs in the army are not very competive. The Army tends to make these at popular bases, maybe to attract more people. I know that normally one couldn't get to some of these bases right out of school, but if one did an AGD it only takes average stats to get to a nice base. Of course they will probably only be there for that year. I would talk to whoever makes those assignments. sometimes it takes a few calls to get to the right person in the military, but I have learned that it is worthwhile to take the time to find the right person to talk to than getting a bunch of different answers from people like me that have limited knowledge.

Thanks for the advice. I was told by the AF Dentist I interviewed with that the AGD is popular and the bases I chose were exteremly popular. In his words my stats were competitive but not super competitive for getting a popular base. He said he was 99% sure I would get the AGD, but didn't know
what base I would get~
 

pmoney

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
288
0
Visit site
Status
dexadental said:
An AEGD through the military requires an extra year of pay back service, correct?

Some of the older Army HPSP contracts included the 1 year AEGD in payback. Not anymore however.

I think if you have decent stats you are pretty much guaranteed an AEGD slot in the Army. Crusing around on the dental corps (or something like that) I read somewhere they have 40 AEGD training slots/year. Considering they only got ~90 Dentistry HPSP students last year, this shouldn't be a big deal to get in the top 50% of your class.
 

Dadoh

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
64
0
Status
Dental Student
pmoney said:
Some of the older Army HPSP contracts included the 1 year AEGD in payback. Not anymore however.

I think if you have decent stats you are pretty much guaranteed an AEGD slot in the Army. Crusing around on the dental corps (or something like that) I read somewhere they have 40 AEGD training slots/year. Considering they only got ~90 Dentistry HPSP students last year, this shouldn't be a big deal to get in the top 50% of your class.
And remember that not everyone is going to apply to those. I believe in the air force they have to apply but don't have to accept.
 

pmoney

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
288
0
Visit site
Status
Dadoh said:
And remember that not everyone is going to apply to those. I believe in the air force they have to apply but don't have to accept.
.

IIRC, people are encouraged to apply but don't have to.
 

LazurasDC

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
122
0
Status
Dentist
I think the USAF recruiter told me everyone has to apply but not accept. but then again I think he said it does count towards the payback?
If you decide to go on with AEGD2 stuff ie. ortho, omfs, etc, and those residency's take anywhere from 2-4 years does that also count towards payback if you do hpsp?
 

pmoney

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
288
0
Visit site
Status
LazurasDC said:
I think the USAF recruiter told me everyone has to apply but not accept. but then again I think he said it does count towards the payback?
If you decide to go on with AEGD2 stuff ie. ortho, omfs, etc, and those residency's take anywhere from 2-4 years does that also count towards payback if you do hpsp?
I was talking about the Army, don't know about the Chair Force. ;)

The 2 year (or more) residencies for any specialty and the 2 year AEGD don't count towards payback and you add an extra year for every year in residency.

So if you did a 1 year AEGD, 4 years payback, 2 year specialty, 2 year payback you would have been in the service 9 years before you can leave. It used to be that they would wait for a while to let you do the residiencies especially the popular ones (endo, etc) especially due to officers who have mor experience than you but since they have been hurting so bad, people are getting residencies earlier and earlier now. Some are even getting in 2 years out of dental school.

The way the service works though is that if you do decide to make it a career, you should definitely do one of the 2 year programs, b/c you are much more likely to make O6. The 2 year AEGD counts as a 'specialty' in general surgery. And if you want perio or something like that you get shooed in.
 
About the Ads

dentalguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
224
0
Status
Pre-Dental
pmoney said:
I was talking about the Army, don't know about the Chair Force. ;)

The 2 year (or more) residencies for any specialty and the 2 year AEGD don't count towards payback and you add an extra year for every year in residency.

So if you did a 1 year AEGD, 4 years payback, 2 year specialty, 2 year payback you would have been in the service 9 years before you can leave. It used to be that they would wait for a while to let you do the residiencies especially the popular ones (endo, etc) especially due to officers who have mor experience than you but since they have been hurting so bad, people are getting residencies earlier and earlier now. Some are even getting in 2 years out of dental school.

The way the service works though is that if you do decide to make it a career, you should definitely do one of the 2 year programs, b/c you are much more likely to make O6. The 2 year AEGD counts as a 'specialty' in general surgery. And if you want perio or something like that you get shooed in.

thats actually wrong......1 year AEGD, 4 years payback, 2 year specialty, 2 year payback = 5 years in the army after all school is done.....AEGD is neutral so i guess you could say thats a year in the army.....4 years payback from dental school.....the speciality they pay for you while you are in it....you don't incur more time but you would still owe 4 years but this would be as a specialist.....(disclaimer: some specialities that are 2 years long require a three year pay back which would mean you would owe an additional year......so 1 AEGD neutral year, 4 years payback, 2 years neutral specialty, = 4 years of payback (sometimes 5 years of payback)
 

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
731
94
Status
Non-Student
Does anyone have an electronic copy of the Navy's AEGD application?
 

dheav005

keepin' it movin'
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
297
5
Norfolk
Status
Dentist
Tooth said:
Does anyone have an electronic copy of the Navy's AEGD application?
i dont think they sent out electronic apps. if you didnt get one by snail mail, you might need to email capt fisher and his office. they are due in early september.
 
D

dmfDMD

dentalguy said:
thats actually wrong......1 year AEGD, 4 years payback, 2 year specialty, 2 year payback = 5 years in the army after all school is done.....AEGD is neutral so i guess you could say thats a year in the army.....4 years payback from dental school.....the speciality they pay for you while you are in it....you don't incur more time but you would still owe 4 years but this would be as a specialist.....(disclaimer: some specialities that are 2 years long require a three year pay back which would mean you would owe an additional year......so 1 AEGD neutral year, 4 years payback, 2 years neutral specialty, = 4 years of payback (sometimes 5 years of payback)

Actually that is wrong too. If you do a 2 year specialization in the Military you get paid active duty and it counts towards your 4 years you owe them, but now you owe them 2 more for paying for your specialization. So you have 2 left from dental school and 2 for the specialization, so you have 4 left plus the original 2 = 6 years total. If you do the AEGD then you will have 7 since its a neutral year, like they are paying for "schooling" but you don't owe them anything back. If you do a 4 year specialty like oral surgery or something, you would have a total of 8 years (the 4 year specialization pays off the original 4 year committment, but you incur another 4 years by specializing)
 

Dadoh

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
64
0
Status
Dental Student
dmfDMD said:
Actually that is wrong too. If you do a 2 year specialization in the Military you get paid active duty and it counts towards your 4 years you owe them, but now you owe them 2 more for paying for your specialization. So you have 2 left from dental school and 2 for the specialization, so you have 4 left plus the original 2 = 6 years total. If you do the AEGD then you will have 7 since its a neutral year, like they are paying for "schooling" but you don't owe them anything back. If you do a 4 year specialty like oral surgery or something, you would have a total of 8 years (the 4 year specialization pays off the original 4 year committment, but you incur another 4 years by specializing)
This isn't exactly right either, but it gets the correct results. You actually don't pay off your active duty commitment during residency, and you do accrue 2 more years for a two year residency. If you do a two year residency right away then you would have 6 years of total commitment left after that, but the 2 year commitment (from residency) and the 4 year commitment (from school) will be paid back concurrently, so the active duty after finishing the residency will only be 4 years. A total of six years in the military.
 

dentalguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
224
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Dadoh said:
This isn't exactly right either, but it gets the correct results. You actually don't pay off your active duty commitment during residency, and you do accrue 2 more years for a two year residency. If you do a two year residency right away then you would have 6 years of total commitment left after that, but the 2 year commitment (from residency) and the 4 year commitment (from school) will be paid back concurrently, so the active duty after finishing the residency will only be 4 years. A total of six years in the military.
thats what i said originally
 

milman

10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2006
37
0
Status
What is the difference between 2yr aegd, 1yr aegd, and 1yr gpr in terms of training? And what are the locations of all the bases for these residencies in the navy/army? Also do you get any extra bonus as a 2yr aegd trained dentist as opposed to no-residency dentist in the military? Thanks
 

milman

10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2006
37
0
Status
About the Ads