AEGD/GPR Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Persephone11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a 3rd year dental student looking into various AEGD/GPR programs in the country. I am looking for some guidance on how to narrow down the list of where to apply. I have been struggling with this for a couple of months now.

Location is not an issue for me. My grades are fairly good; in the top 10 of my class. Good EC and getting better in clinic. I am interested in learning about and placing implants, restorative dentistry, perio, prostho, etc.. Especially interested in performing ENDO. Endos are hard to find at my school and most seniors have not even performed 1 anterior RCT. Based on my pre-clinical experience, I am interested in specializing in endo and when I actually do my first RCT, I'll think more about it. I heard VA programs have more clinical experience but, unfortunately, I cannot apply to VA programs.
I researched Prisma Health in SC, UF St. Petersburg & Pocatello (Idaho) and I am interested in these programs.
Not sure if going straight into corporate would be the best choice because I am also thinking about that.
Anyone have any recommendations/post about their experiences on AEGD/GPRs or entering corporate? Anyone on the boat with regards to endo?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the NYU-ASDOH AEGD, best decision I ever made. Was a great springboard into perio for me. A number of my co-residents went on to specialize, while the majority had no problem in GP. Tons of surgery, implants, bread-and-butter. As far as endo, there was a little joke in my class because we said every Friday was mini-endo residency days. Everyone had molar endo going every single friday. We also had a good amount of endo on Thursdays. I did everything from anteriors to molars to apicoecomies. Drs. Mark Kerr and Robert Roda were amazing teachers. The program itself is very underrated, so theres no problem finding a spot, as they constantly have post-match positions. The director is a GP Dr. Charles Matlach and the co-director is an amazing prosthodontist Dr. Matthew Kahn. You'll do a lot of complex prosth as well. Learned a lot, currently in private practice now until June and I do have to say the results are real.

Reactions: 2 users
Look into Augusta GPR, Einstein Hospital GPR, and Kings County Hospital GPR.

I got into Kings which is a solid program. Residents do full-mouth rehabs, implants with sinus lifts and ridge augmentation, third molar extractions, apicoectomies, molar endo, perio surgeries, you name it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did the NYU-ASDOH AEGD, best decision I ever made. Was a great springboard into perio for me. A number of my co-residents went on to specialize, while the majority had no problem in GP. Tons of surgery, implants, bread-and-butter. As far as endo, there was a little joke in my class because we said every Friday was mini-endo residency days. Everyone had molar endo going every single friday. We also had a good amount of endo on Thursdays. I did everything from anteriors to molars to apicoecomies. Drs. Mark Kerr and Robert Roda were amazing teachers. The program itself is very underrated, so theres no problem finding a spot, as they constantly have post-match positions. The director is a GP Dr. Charles Matlach and the co-director is an amazing prosthodontist Dr. Matthew Kahn. You'll do a lot of complex prosth as well. Learned a lot, currently in private practice now until June and I do have to say the results are real.

Thank you and Congrats on perio!! This helps a lot. I heard that AEGD programs associated with a dental school have a hard time with getting experience because a lot of procedures are allocated to specialities or the student clinic, itself. Was that true for you?

Is this program the one in Mesa, AZ? I can't even find the program website.

Look into Augusta GPR, Einstein Hospital GPR, and Kings County Hospital GPR.

I got into Kings which is a solid program. Residents do full-mouth rehabs, implants with sinus lifts and ridge augmentation, third molar extractions, apicoectomies, molar endo, perio surgeries, you name it.

Thank you! Congratulations of Kings County!! I heard this a stellar program. What do you think about the location? I heard the area has a high crime rate, so i sorta scratched it off my list.

Did you interview at the others as well?

Thank you and Congrats on perio!! This helps a lot. I heard that AEGD programs associated with a dental school have a hard time with getting experience because a lot of procedures are allocated to specialities or the student clinic, itself. Was that true for you?

Is this program the one in Mesa, AZ? I can't even find the program website.
It is the one in Mesa. There are no other specialty programs besides ortho and the AEGD programs so you do it all

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Congratulations of Kings County!! I heard this a stellar program. What do you think about the location? I heard the area has a high crime rate, so i sorta scratched it off my list.

Did you interview at the others as well?

The area is rough but the education is great. The location didn't phase me because I can just commute by train to the hospital.

I interviewed at other programs, yeah.

Reactions: 1 users
I really just asked around a lot. I narrowed it down to 5 programs that seemed to be great programs. There are far too many that are just like a 5th year of dental school. You don't want that. That is a waste of time. You could be out in the real world making money. However, a good GPR is well worth it. I did one and learned a ton. I came out with a lot of skills that would have taken me 3-5 years to learn outside of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
I really just asked around a lot. I narrowed it down to 5 programs that seemed to be great programs. There are far too many that are just like a 5th year of dental school. You don't want that. That is a waste of time. You could be out in the real world making money. However, a good GPR is well worth it. I did one and learned a ton. I came out with a lot of skills that would have taken me 3-5 years to learn outside of the program.
What were the 5 programs that you short listed on? If you dont mind sharing?
Also, which one did you end up going to?

Where did you end up going? What were the programs you narrowed it down to/interviewed at if you don't mind sharing? :)