Aesthetics of the New York City programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlotte7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound shallow, but I was wondering if people had thoughts on the aesthetics of the work/living environments of the nyc programs. I've found that I'm really affected by my work environment (completing a rotation at a grungy off-site hospital at the moment, and it's dragging me down).

Also, a lot of the NYC programs seem to offer housing. What is the housing like at each program? Only interviewing at Mt Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, and NYU.

I know we'll get to see parts of the hospital on interview day, but I feel like they only show off the nice parts and I don't think we get to see much, if any, of the housing.

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to sound shallow, but I was wondering if people had thoughts on the aesthetics of the work/living environments of the nyc programs. I've found that I'm really affected by my work environment (completing a rotation at a grungy off-site hospital at the moment, and it's dragging me down).

Also, a lot of the NYC programs seem to offer housing. What is the housing like at each program? Only interviewing at Mt Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, and NYU.

I know we'll get to see parts of the hospital on interview day, but I feel like they only show off the nice parts and I don't think we get to see much, if any, of the housing.

I've had friends and relatives complete residencies at Cornell (one psych, one non-psych) and their housing set up is NICE, both in terms of location and size...However, both parties were married during residency, so not sure if that alters the housing priority list at Cornell. I have heard that NYU's housing is somehow difficult to obtain (something about how faculty get priority first etc) and this was suspected as one reason the program had a few extra spots a few years back, or so I've heard. I can't comment on specific work environments, but the general consensus I've gathered from the many NYC psych programs is that the patient load and work hours are generally (as compared to the rest of the country) heavier, regardless of program tier.

The answer to your question will depend on where you are working within a given program. The ED in one program may be a dank dungeon, while the outpatient clinics there may be state of the art with original artwork on the walls. This may be especially true at programs where there are multiple sites run by multiple agencies (e.g. NYU with a private hospital, the VA and Bellevue; or Columbia, with Presbyterian Hospital and the NY State Psych Institute).

Members don't see this ad :)

As for housing, Cornell's housing is outstanding. Spacious, nice, right next to the hospital. Mount Sinai's ranges from OK/Good to fantastic - depends on what building you get placed into. NYU has little or no housing. I think everyone at NYU gets their own apartment (or almost everyone...). Columbia's housing is very spacious, OK environment, but by the hospital, which is the pits. The only people who live their, by and large, are those who are married and just want the space. But it's not nice and the vast majority get apartments on the Upper West or even the West Village.

This is going to sound shallow, but I was wondering if people had thoughts on the aesthetics of the work/living environments of the nyc programs.

It's not shallow at all.

The aesthetic of the workplace will have a correlation with your morale, even the safety of the environment. There's psychological studies showing a place looking like a prison with similar rules even if filled with college students acting as prisoners and guards eventually becomes prison like in its environment with beatings, cigarette economies etc.

Some hospitals in NJ for example had rapes of patients by other patients, even staff going on for years. Yes, if that's what was going on, imagine what else was going on. The abuses were uncovered by a former NJ Governor who worked undercover (before he was governor).

As for housing, Cornell's housing is outstanding. Spacious, nice, right next to the hospital. Mount Sinai's ranges from OK/Good to fantastic - depends on what building you get placed into. NYU has little or no housing. I think everyone at NYU gets their own apartment (or almost everyone...). Columbia's housing is very spacious, OK environment, but by the hospital, which is the pits. The only people who live their, by and large, are those who are married and just want the space. But it's not nice and the vast majority get apartments on the Upper West or even the West Village.

Well, I've heard that Cornell has been known to have uncertainties and pricing peculiarities relating to its housing, at least in the past. Also I believe there is a lot of loud construction going on in that area. And most of the housing is within plain view of the watchful eyes of the many analysts who populate the faculty, so privacy may be an issue. Second, I thought NYU most decidedly did NOT promise residents housing. Residents often live in Brooklyn as a result is what I thought.

Just my own two cents, but anyone who cares extremely about hospital aesthetics might want to look outside NYC altogether, to, oh, say, the Midwest or the Pacific Northwest or Japan (somehow I imagine they have very sleek, clean hospitals, much neater than our own). Please do not tell me you are choosing NYC for its cleanliness. Just look at all those unkempt gutters and chipped sidewalks. The same mediocre standard (I am being nice here) carries on even in some of the most elite private hospitals. Yeah it's all relative, but it's hardly ever NOT grungy to some degree in any NYC hospital. Private places will still have scufffed walls, dreary decor, elevators that go nowhere but don't have so much as a sign informing you of that... I've seen much cleaner and more modern in other parts of the country.

Does anyone have any info about Maimonides??? I can't find any anywhere.

Well, I've heard that Cornell has been known to have uncertainties and pricing peculiarities relating to its housing, at least in the past. Also I believe there is a lot of loud construction going on in that area. And most of the housing is within plain view of the watchful eyes of the many analysts who populate the faculty, so privacy may be an issue. Second, I thought NYU most decidedly did NOT promise residents housing. Residents often live in Brooklyn as a result is what I thought.

Just my own two cents, but anyone who cares extremely about hospital aesthetics might want to look outside NYC altogether, to, oh, say, the Midwest or the Pacific Northwest or Japan (somehow I imagine they have very sleek, clean hospitals, much neater than our own). Please do not tell me you are choosing NYC for its cleanliness. Just look at all those unkempt gutters and chipped sidewalks. The same mediocre standard (I am being nice here) carries on even in some of the most elite private hospitals. Yeah it's all relative, but it's hardly ever NOT grungy to some degree in any NYC hospital. Private places will still have scufffed walls, dreary decor, elevators that go nowhere but don't have so much as a sign informing you of that... I've seen much cleaner and more modern in other parts of the country.

I second. I'd also add that as far as aesthetics go, Mt. Sinai in the UES is one of the nicer hospitals I've had exposure to in NYC.