AF-Army-Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meersy7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently applying to dental school, and I am currently thinking about ways to pay for it. I have been looking up information about joining the military and I just wanted to get some of your perspectives. Which branch is the best to join to become a dentist? What are the benefits of joining each branch? What are the downsides to joining the military? Will dentists be near any of the fighting? I could use as much information as I can get. Thank you so much for all of your help and I appreciate all of your input and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI, you can find all your answers by searching around at other threads in this topic. To answer your questions briefly however...

There is no "best branch". This is up for debate obviously, but it's really a matter of personal preference in where you feel you fit the best. I had considered the Air Force Academy out of high school and I have always been fascinated with the military. Naturally, I was drawn to the scholarship and the Air Force in particular. The way I see it, your attitude about the branches are what make it good for you. Good for one person is not good for all.

Benefits and downsides are, IMO, almost completely subjective. The BIG obvious benefit is getting school paid for, the BIG obvious downside is being required to payback a year-for-year commitment to the military. Now again, this is all preference. Some people may have their parents (very rare of course) pay for their schooling so that money benefit might as well not exist. For others, the military is a big PLUS for them, not a downside! It's all how you look at it.

I have heard plenty about the safety of dentists in all of the branches, but seeing as I'm just a 1st year dental student on the scholarship, I'll leave that up to someone with experience to answer that for you.

Best of luck in finding your answers! This was an extremely simplistic view of the pros/cons but if you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to tell you about my experience (or you can go look at my blog that's posted below). If you are truly interested, you should contact a recruiter as soon as you can even if you have yet to apply to dental school. The earlier you get rolling with this, the better.

Look for health profession recruiters only, not general recruiters.

Air Force recruiter locator: http://go.mappoint.net/airforce/index.aspx?or=afh

Hey everyone,

I am currently applying to dental school, and I am currently thinking about ways to pay for it. I have been looking up information about joining the military and I just wanted to get some of your perspectives. Which branch is the best to join to become a dentist? What are the benefits of joining each branch? What are the downsides to joining the military? Will dentists be near any of the fighting? I could use as much information as I can get. Thank you so much for all of your help and I appreciate all of your input and advice!
Speaking from my Army point of view I concur with Boomer. Search the threads to see specifics - they are all good. You can also consider Public Health if you don't apply until after you graduate. The earlier you apply the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard plenty about the safety of dentists in all of the branches, but seeing as I'm just a 1st year dental student on the scholarship, I'll leave that up to someone with experience to answer that for you.

Very briefly, I was deployed to Afghanistan during a period of major operations and campaigns. There is variance depending on which base you're at, but keep in mind that they're not going to put a dentist in a location unless the area was pretty darn secure.

And yes, they may issue you a pistol, but if you ever have to use it, that means your marines and soldiers have failed you. :D

Very briefly, I was deployed to Afghanistan during a period of major operations and campaigns. There is variance depending on which base you're at, but keep in mind that they're not going to put a dentist in a location unless the area was pretty darn secure.

And yes, they may issue you a pistol, but if you ever have to use it, that means your marines and soldiers have failed you. :D

I am currently deployed with the Army in Iraq, and you are safe.