AF Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFDuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I was comparing the 2006 USAF match list with the 2006 IFB results (the projected number of spots in each specialty) and noticed that they don't always match up. For example, there were supposed to be 3 deffered spots in neurology, but only 1 2LT matched into one. Is that due to a lack of interest in neurology or did the USAF change its mind between the IFB publishing and match day?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Most residency spots, deferred or otherwise, went to non-medical students (captains and up). And occasionally they do tweak things in between the IRB and the JSGME board meeting.

I should've been more clear with my example, the 2LT I referred to was the only person that got a deffered spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally that's because there weren't enough applicants for the deferred spots. Back in the day there were 30 something ortho deferred spots and only several would match. Generally USUHS grads can't go deferred, and many prior gmo's/FSO's don't want to defer since the pay cut is pretty significant.

Sometimes there are more than enough applicants for civilian deferred spots. We even got an e-mail in the fall warning people about signing up for civilian sponsored spots (i.e. were they sure they know about the extra commitment?). This year they deferred about 6 for general surgery but the IFB had predicted many more than that. There were sufficient applicants, but the AF changed its mind. So I would pay attention to the IFB, but I wouldn't bet on it.