AF Medical Deployments may be 6 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently preparing for deployment for the 9/10 window (Sep-Dec.) We are being told to anticipate a 6 month deployment and be pleasantly surprised if it is only 4 months. There is much talk that we will be the first group to go for 6. Just an FYI for those choosing the AF because of the shorter deployments.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently preparing for deployment for the 9/10 window (Sep-Dec.) We are being told to anticipate a 6 month deployment and be pleasantly surprised if it is only 4 months. There is much talk that we will be the first group to go for 6. Just an FYI for those choosing the AF because of the shorter deployments.

Great. One the main reasons I chose the AF was for the shorter deployments. My fiancee is going to be pissed!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say about half of the people deploying from my base are going for 6, the rest for 4. I know the orthopod that is leaving soon got extended to 6 mos. Can probably count on it as the budget tightens.:thumbdown:

Beware the 6 month thing is likely with the Army. We have a guy going and its 8 months with the Army training stateside. Army brass loves to use the AF but not the Navy...go figure.:confused:

One of my former Ortho colleagues (he owed a lot more time than me) has his deployment bucket coming up this fall... he's going to be thrilled with this news.

Beware the 6 month thing is likely with the Army. We have a guy going and its 8 months with the Army training stateside. Army brass loves to use the AF but not the Navy...go figure.:confused:

Last I heard, they were using female AF surgeons as typists. Must have loved their work and want more :).

- "All I know is that I voted libertarian in the last two elections. You guys are to blame for everything that's happening. If you didn't want to get shot and go to hell, you shouldn't have voted for a Republican." - drunk med school colleague on match day

I'm in the Navy and I thought 6 months was the normal length of deployment anyways, is that the norm just for the Navy?

would any of you guys happen to know what its like for dentists on the HPSP? i'm goin w/ the AF for dental school and its damn hard to get responses. The only info I can get isnt too reliable. I have an uncle in the USAF as a flight surgeon..but he cant help me much b/c a.) he's an MD and b.) he does mostly administrative stuff now (which he actually enjoys). If nobody here can shed any light i understand. thanks and best of luck to all of you!

We get to have our fun with the Marines.

would any of you guys happen to know what its like for dentists on the HPSP? i'm goin w/ the AF for dental school and its damn hard to get responses. The only info I can get isnt too reliable. I have an uncle in the USAF as a flight surgeon..but he cant help me much b/c a.) he's an MD and b.) he does mostly administrative stuff now (which he actually enjoys). If nobody here can shed any light i understand. thanks and best of luck to all of you!

A dentist deploys with the AF EMEDS+10. There are currently about 64 of those teams in the Air Force. I don't know how many active duty dentists there are, but if you can find out, divide 64 by that number and that'll give you the odds of getting deployed.

Welcome to the real military, I know it's a wake up call since you're in the AF. Lots of love, everyone knows the AF has best quality of life. The Army typically deploys for a year, the Navy six months. Marines, supposedly six months, my wife, as part of a MEU (ie on a ship, not deployed specifically to Afghanistan or Iraq) was extended to eight. The bonus upshot of that was a coastal tourist visit to Liberia, where you get mahlaria.

I hate to say it, but you aren't going to get a lot of love from a lot of us for a six month deployment. On the non-medicine side of the world, the Navy and Marine Corps have been pissed at the Air Force for their short deployments for years. It causes a lot of problems that we see, ie no continuity, they guy you talked to last month and brokered a deal is gone. Granted, on the medicine side it isn't as big a deal, but it still takes some time to figure out how the system works. The longer the deployment (to a point) the more useful the body, because they know how it works and don't have to be trained up.