JTS Clinical Practice Guidelines / 'Deployed Medicine' app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_world_has_gone_mad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get people's opinion / advice on the JTS Clinical Practice Guidelines and how/if they should be used for any 'educational' activities. Basically brand new off-the street (i.e. no prior military experience) Air Force Reserve Flight Surgeon in-the-making. Got asked to give a talk to the unit's RN's during the upcoming UTA on a medical topic so I came across the 'deployed medicine' app and the JTS CPG's in it. Understandably most of them are quite 'heavy' on the 'trauma side' (I'm an internal medicine hospitalist in the civilian world - so really hard for me to fully grasp what the differences are between these guidelines and the 'civilian' trauma one...). What I wanted to know is if/how these guidelines are 'used' in 'educational' activities on the active duty side and how familiar/unfamiliar 'military' RNs (and other non-physician providers) are with these guidelines (apart from the TCCC guidelines of course...). Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was deployed at the Role 3, we would take turns giving a mini lecture/presentation on whichever ones were closest to our specialty. And we would participate in a teleconference weekly where our patients were presented and one element always discussed was our adherence or deviation from them in our care of the patient.

Lots of good info there and the more folks acquainted with them the better IMO.

The CPGs are great to base lectures off. I think a big thing is allowing people to answer questions and explaining concepts that may not be clear. Also tailor lectures towards everyone's roles. For example, there's a lot in the prolonged casualty care CPG that most nurses will understand and know easily. But most physicians won't. RN familiarity will depend largely on the type of RN they are. ICU or EM RNs are going to have much more familiarity with the concepts than an L&D or psych nurse. But as far as actually being familiar with the CPGs themselves, I think only the ones that deployed, or that have done training specifically for a deployment/workup will actually be somewhat familiar with them, even then it'll be hit or miss.

I think you probably should learn ATLS if you've never taken it, as well as TCCC. I think all military docs that have the potential to be deployed should be familiar with them.