AF vs. Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dacat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Even after submitting my AF HPSP application and can be hearing from the any moment, I got questions just in case I have to make important decisions. Also, I decided to apply to Navy HPSP (won't hear from them until December as my application is not finished). Before I possibly sign any commitments to the AF, I would like to address the following questions/concerns:

To give you a background, I am going to go to an osteopathic medical school starting August 2013. I deferred my acceptance to be in a one year masters program. So I was able to meet the October 2012 board for the Air Force. I'm interested in a primary care field - family medicine/internal medicine, maybe sports medicine.

1. My goal is to go to a military residency for 3 years and MAYBE go for a one year civilian fellowship afterwards. From my understanding, since I'm on the 4 year scholarship, I will have to pay back the military 4 years. During those 4 years, I would like to work in AF clinics/bases in a US state of my choice (my home is in California) and have opportunities to once in a while do humanitarian work abroad. Which branch, AF or Navy, is best for this lifestyle?
2. Also, I've heard about having to do GMO and other service obligations that will add on more years, but I honestly want to go to med school, then straight to residency, then do my 4 years of service, and be done already having great life experiences. Which branch is more suitable for this situation, AF or Navy?
3. I've heard that the AF is more suitable for women. Could someone please clarify this?
4. How likely is it that I'll be forced to do another specialty if I'm interested in primary care?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You make note of several areas where you would like to be the one making the decisions as to where to live, doing a fellowship, no GMO tour, and doing humanitarian work at your discretion......that does not bode well for you enjoying the military.

Reactions: 1 user
To come to think if it, the military might not be for me. If I get the scholarship though, it would be really hard on my recruiter to reject it... But it's my life, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? The "hardness" on your recruiter means nothing and is not your concern. The question is whether or not it is the right decision for you.

It seems like you have a good idea of where you want to be and what you want to do--this would scare me away from any commitment-based scholarship, especially the AF/Navy (which have limited options for residency and location). Both could put you in California, and both will give you incredible life experiences and training. Of course, both could also send you anywhere in the world, for any amount of time, and make it very difficult for your self-directed life plan.

It is not a financial decision, a decision that requires concern for anyone other than yourself and the ones you love, and a decision that should not be made lightly. It's also a decision where you must err on the side of caution. You can always contract or commission with the military post-residency. If you're not sure, don't do it.

Regardless, apply as soon as possible, follow the application process doggedly as far as you can as fast as you can, be fully informed, and recognize that your paradigm may shift over time.

It's very hard to break a military contract.

That said, I'm HPSP Navy, and I've never been more excited for ODS or for the opportunity to serve.

Good luck.

-BadMed

AF is probably less likely to do a GMO (but still no guarantee) and you definitely will not be forced to do another specialty if you are interested in primary care (and that makes a GMO tour even less likely)

To come to think if it, the military might not be for me. If I get the scholarship though, it would be really hard on my recruiter to reject it... But it's my life, right?

But this sounds like the right answer. Wanting to live in one state for your payback is not going to cut it. Humanitarian missions will also be unlikely when you are first starting out. In the end, it doesn't sound like the military may be the best route.

Don't worry about rejecting it. They will find someone.

Thanks guys!

1. I would like to know how likely it is to end up in your top three choices of military residencies if I am to be in primary care (do you rank 3 of them)?
2. Also, are all military hospital bases opened for me to apply, or am I restricted to only the AF ones? I'm a bit confused because I see that in the "PD/Consultant Roster" link (click on one of the blue buttons in the link below), there are some residency opportunities at a Naval hospitals. In general, how likely is this "cross-training"?
3. Regarding the link below, how drastically do these residency positions change year by year? I'm in med school class of 2017...do you foresee roughly the same opportunities on the list by the time I apply to residencies?

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...nEducation&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_047647

4. What about the likelihood of getting your top three preferred locations during payback time (do you rank 3 locations then, which include AF bases abroad this time)?

By reading this thread, it looks like my recruiter is sugar coating things...

Thanks guys!

1. I would like to know how likely it is to end up in your top three choices of military residencies if I am to be in primary care (do you rank 3 of them)?
2. Also, are all military hospital bases opened for me to apply, or am I restricted to only the AF ones? I'm a bit confused because I see that in the "PD/Consultant Roster" link (click on one of the blue buttons in the link below), there are some residency opportunities at a Naval hospitals. In general, how likely is this "cross-training"?
3. Regarding the link below, how drastically do these residency positions change year by year? I'm in med school class of 2017...do you foresee roughly the same opportunities on the list by the time I apply to residencies?

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...nEducation&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_047647

4. What about the likelihood of getting your top three preferred locations during payback time (do you rank 3 locations then, which include AF bases abroad this time)?

By reading this thread, it looks like my recruiter is sugar coating things...

1) Not sure about this. It probably depends on how good of an applicant you are. I believe you have to rank all of the locations for your desired specialty, so you could very well end up at your last choice.

2) It's mostly AF hospitals. There are some residencies and fellowships at hospitals in other branches (for example, there are some peds spots at Walter Reed). However, you can't just apply to Navy spots because you like the location. They need to be reserved for AF residents or fellows, and there are not a ton of these spots.

3) These change, but I don't think they are going to change completely in a few years. The number of spots may change by a couple, but I don't think you need to worry about it too much. The only exception may be if it is a residency with only a small number of spots. However, if you are interested in primary care, I don't think the number of spots or the locations are going to change much.

4) I'm not sure about this one. Some more experienced people may need to comment.

As you suspect, your recruiter may be sugarcoating things. They tend to do that. If you read this board, you will hear some horror stories. Of the people I have talked to, however, the experiences tend to be ok. What I have learned is that you pretty much have to be prepared for anything. You may get your first choice for everything, or you can be stuck in the middle of nowhere. I think for most people, it works out to be something in between. If you aren't willing to have that uncertainty, then the military may not be the best option.

Thanks for your answer. That helps! Well, isn't it still uncertain with where I'll end up if I choose to not take the scholarship? I mean, it is not guaranteed that I'll end up where I wanna be as a civilian doctor right, but to what extent? I'm talking about residency and afterwards.

1) Not sure about this. It probably depends on how good of an applicant you are. I believe you have to rank all of the locations for your desired specialty, so you could very well end up at your last choice.

2) It's mostly AF hospitals. There are some residencies and fellowships at hospitals in other branches (for example, there are some peds spots at Walter Reed). However, you can't just apply to Navy spots because you like the location. They need to be reserved for AF residents or fellows, and there are not a ton of these spots.

3) These change, but I don't think they are going to change completely in a few years. The number of spots may change by a couple, but I don't think you need to worry about it too much. The only exception may be if it is a residency with only a small number of spots. However, if you are interested in primary care, I don't think the number of spots or the locations are going to change much.

4) I'm not sure about this one. Some more experienced people may need to comment.

As you suspect, your recruiter may be sugarcoating things. They tend to do that. If you read this board, you will hear some horror stories. Of the people I have talked to, however, the experiences tend to be ok. What I have learned is that you pretty much have to be prepared for anything. You may get your first choice for everything, or you can be stuck in the middle of nowhere. I think for most people, it works out to be something in between. If you aren't willing to have that uncertainty, then the military may not be the best option.

Thanks for your answer. That helps! Well, isn't it still uncertain with where I'll end up if I choose to not take the scholarship? I mean, it is not guaranteed that I'll end up where I wanna be as a civilian doctor right, but to what extent? I'm talking about residency and afterwards.
For the Navy, you rank top choices as location (CONUS/OCONUS), Type of practice (Full scope/clinic based), or operational (Marines/Ship). Usually the needs of the Navy outweigh everything and the chances of getting your top choice as far as the location are hit and miss. FM residency in CA chances are pretty good as Camp Pendelton is one of the larger programs. Afterwards is a complete crapshoot. Being female can limit you to certain spots.

Sounds like you should continue reading all of the posts around this site to get a better idea of what you are getting yourself in to before you make any perminant decisions. :cool:

Very true. However the chance of ending up in a residency program and future job in California is easier to do as a civilian than the military because you have more options and you have the freedom to leave jobs, find new openings, etc. You also don't have to do with moves and deployments.

I'm sure there is a bit of "grass is greener" type response, and things don't usually work out exactly the way you want them to. But if staying in California for residency and practice is the most important thing to you, the military is a risk to that.

The Navy would probably be the best bet if staying in California is your top desire.

Last edited:
You need to ask yourself administratively, socially, and practice environment which is better Navy vs Air Force. Their are differences in the way each of the services handles their business.

1. I've also heard that the more competitive I am in med school the better chance I will have in getting my preferred residency spot, even in the military. And same goes in being a competitive resident...that I'd be likely to be living and serving where I want to be in payback years? If so, what a great motivation to study hard. :p

and...

I also heard another person say that I have a limited choice to decide on a residency program but a MUCH more greater say afterwards on where to live...

Which is correct, if any?

2. Also, from my understanding here's my timeline:
4 yrs medical school under the 4 year scholarship
3 yrs residency at a military residency
4 years of payback service...(Do I get a say of where I live, then I can get deployed any moment in time for 9 months max??)
Would, under any circumstance, I be FORCED to stay in the military longer than above?

This is all from my understanding... And that's exactly the experience I want. Then back to civilian life with awesome experiences. Being a veteran before 40 years old!

3. I heard that I absolutely cannot go to a civilian residency unless it's a top super competitive one that would add to the military. (likely not, because I'm interested in primary care right?). But is there even an option for me to apply to a civilian residency and defer the military? I hear about such deferment. But what does life look like after the civilian residency? Do I do my 4 year payback years any differently? Why do people "defer"? I am fine with only the military options, but I just want to know what's in store for me in 4 years.

--------------

4. Could I work in AF clinics as a primary care doctor in the later years of my life after my payback years and not be on reserve, or be in a less likely position of being deployed? Or is it an all-or-nothing deal (If I work in the military, I need to be on reserve. If I don't want to be on reserve, I must work at a civilian setting)?

----------

5. I heard that the military cares about your well being because they want to retain you. For example, mental health, physical health (workout breaks in Naval hospitals?!), and family/personal life (easier to start raising a family compared to being a civilian doctor)? True or false?

Yep, a lot of "I heard" because there are so many inconsistencies that I must take everything I hear with a grain of salt. But this forum is so legit. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
1. I've also heard that the more competitive I am in med school the better chance I will have in getting my preferred residency spot, even in the military. And same goes in being a competitive resident...that I'd be likely to be living and serving where I want to be in payback years? If so, what a great motivation to study hard. :p

and...

I also heard another person say that I have a limited choice to decide on a residency program but a MUCH more greater say afterwards on where to live...

Which is correct, if any?

2. Also, from my understanding here's my timeline:
4 yrs medical school under the 4 year scholarship
3 yrs residency at a military residency
4 years of payback service...(Do I get a say of where I live, then I can get deployed any moment in time for 9 months max??)
Would, under any circumstance, I be FORCED to stay in the military longer than above?

This is all from my understanding... And that's exactly the experience I want. Then back to civilian life with awesome experiences. Being a veteran before 40 years old!

3. I heard that I absolutely cannot go to a civilian residency unless it's a top super competitive one that would add to the military. (likely not, because I'm interested in primary care right?). But is there even an option for me to apply to a civilian residency and defer the military? I hear about such deferment. But what does life look like after the civilian residency? Do I do my 4 year payback years any differently? Why do people "defer"? I am fine with only the military options, but I just want to know what's in store for me in 4 years.

--------------

4. Could I work in AF clinics as a primary care doctor in the later years of my life after my payback years and not be on reserve, or be in a less likely position of being deployed? Or is it an all-or-nothing deal (If I work in the military, I need to be on reserve. If I don't want to be on reserve, I must work at a civilian setting)?

----------

5. I heard that the military cares about your well being because they want to retain you. For example, mental health, physical health (workout breaks in Naval hospitals?!), and family/personal life (easier to start raising a family compared to being a civilian doctor)? True or false?

Yep, a lot of "I heard" because there are so many inconsistencies that I must take everything I hear with a grain of salt. But this forum is so legit. Thanks guys!
1. You will only have more of a say so if you are a chief resident. But it is still not much of a say so as needs of AF or Navy are paramount. So if there is nothing in CA available or they really need to fill a spot somewhere else. You don't get your CA. You can be limited in location in both residency and afterwards as unless you get a deferrment you will be limited to just the available programs the military has to offer and the available billets when you are done.

2. Deployment length depend on the service. Army and Navy have varying deployment lengths (few weeks to over a year and a half). The AF deploys to the O club and get hazzardous duty pay if they have to tolerate chairs without lumbar support. :laugh:

3. People defer for various reasons including getting the type of residency they want as well as where they want to go. Whether its to stay in OK to do a residency with their spouse or whatever. The payback is the same as you would do the same kind of job.

4. Some military clinics/hospitals have civilian contractors to increase the number of providers due to the number of military providers deployed. I have known several folks that get out and come back to work the very next day as a civilian provider doing the same job. No, they do not deploy as they are not active duty. They usually wear bigger smiles and I can't figure out why. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding #3: So you are saying I don't have to apply to a military residency at all and just do the normal match process? Even in primary care?

Follow up question 1: If I do a civilian residency, is it mandatory for me to do a military residency afterwards?

Follow up question 2: "The AF deploys to the O club and get hazzardous duty pay if they have to tolerate chairs without lumbar support." <-What is O club? Officer Club? How does it apply to military medicine--could you clarify this statement?

Regarding #3: So you are saying I don't have to apply to a military residency at all and just do the normal match process? Even in primary care?

Follow up question 1: If I do a civilian residency, is it mandatory for me to do a military residency afterwards?

Follow up question 2: "The AF deploys to the O club and get hazzardous duty pay if they have to tolerate chairs without lumbar support." <-What is O club? Officer Club? How does it apply to military medicine--could you clarify this statement?

From what I know, you have to apply to the military match, which is done earlier, so if you don't get selected, you apply to the civilian match. If you get selected for that, then you defer and do the civilian residency. If not, then you do a gmo tour.

For #1, civilian residency = military residency...you don't do both...

For #2, I think he was just commenting on how the AF can be a "joke", hence the "chairs without lumbar support". Hazardous pay is normally for when you're put in dangerous situations, like a battlefield or something.

Hope I helped somewhat. Others feel free to correct any of my statements

All HPSP and usuhs students apply to the joint selection board...you pick a specialty, say IM, then have to list all of the training locations in the order you would prefer, similar to the civilian match. You can include civilian deferment in your rank order.
So someone wanting a mil residency might list the 4 IM training locations with their fifth option being a civilian deferment someone wanting to stay in OK with their wife and kids might rank Civ deferment first and all active duty locations after.

To this they can say: 1) too, were sending you to this base to train or 2) too bad, we don't have a spot for you, go find a civilian IM program in the match and well see you in 3 years, or 3)too bad, we don't need you in IM, we've got other people were training for that so: a) you come do a military internship year then go be a gmo or b) we don't want you, go find a civilian intern year then come back and be a GMO.
you can apply again during intern year for a new spot but the impression I get is that its a sentence to serve a GMO tour

Reactions: 1 users
For #2, I think he was just commenting on how the AF can be a "joke", hence the "chairs without lumbar support". Hazardous pay is normally for when you're put in dangerous situations, like a battlefield or something.

I don't know if this still occurs but I've known AF who get paid extra for living at an Army Fort that doesn't have AF standard ammenities. We do love our golf courses.

You make note of several areas where you would like to be the one making the decisions as to where to live, doing a fellowship, no GMO tour, and doing humanitarian work at your discretion......that does not bode well for you enjoying the military.

Especially for Navy, but I'm sure it follows for AF as well (although maybe not as much)... it sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure.

Only take a scholarship if you really, really want to be in the military and are pretty flexible about things like where you get stationed, when you do residency, what kind of jobs you get, etc. If you want any level of control, go civilian.

Sometimes, being in the military sucks - like when you get sent overseas with only a week's notice. Sometimes, it means that you get to have amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and have awesome stories to tell in local VFW.

I think it boils down to... Am I willing to prioritize my country's needs over mine? I gotta think long and hard about it. I want those unique experiences but also wished I could have them when I want. But that doesn't sound like there's a balance between the two.

1. Does anyone know how long after a HPSP acceptance is offered that I could accept/decline?
2. What if in the middle of med school I decide it's not for me? What are the steps of "dropping out" (do I just pay back the military my med school tuition they paid so far)? How about if I give up in the middle of residency -- would that be too late?

I think it boils down to... Am I willing to prioritize my country's needs over mine? I gotta think long and hard about it. I want those unique experiences but also wished I could have them when I want. But that doesn't sound like there's a balance between the two.

1. Does anyone know how long after a HPSP acceptance is offered that I could accept/decline?
2. What if in the middle of med school I decide it's not for me? What are the steps of "dropping out" (do I just pay back the military my med school tuition they paid so far)? How about if I give up in the middle of residency -- would that be too late?

1. Not that long. They expect a prompt response. Not sure on the exact timeline.

2. Tough luck. You are completing that contract whether you want to or not.

In order to accept you need a definitive med school acceptance (by that I mean to the school you're ultimately going to. you may have some acceptances already, but are waiting on other schools). When I was offered my HPSP acceptance, my recruiter simply told me congrats and to send him the med school acceptance letter + a sheet concerning finances (when the school expects them to pay, how much, etc.). There wasn't a deadline.

If you drop out in the middle, you'd just pay them back the amount they've paid for you thus far, which includes the stipend, books, etc. Not sure about the middle of residency...I'd guess that it's the same thing, since you have to pay it back somehow. If not in service years, then money. There's a thread about dropping out; might find some stuff in there.

In order to accept you need a definitive med school acceptance (by that I mean to the school you're ultimately going to. you may have some acceptances already, but are waiting on other schools). When I was offered my HPSP acceptance, my recruiter simply told me congrats and to send him the med school acceptance letter + a sheet concerning finances (when the school expects them to pay, how much, etc.). There wasn't a deadline.

If you drop out in the middle, you'd just pay them back the amount they've paid for you thus far, which includes the stipend, books, etc. Not sure about the middle of residency...I'd guess that it's the same thing, since you have to pay it back somehow. If not in service years, then money. There's a thread about dropping out; might find some stuff in there.

The first part could be right. But OP, do you have an acceptance? You can actually sign the contract with a solid acceptance and then change schools later, so if you have any acceptance at all, they may want you to sign. In that case, the timeline may be shorter. Maybe it was my recruiter putting extra pressure, but he told me not to delay more than a week to sign. I had already made my decision though, so that wasn't a problem for me. I'm not sure what the official rule is.

And the second part I don't think is true. They don't just let you drop. You are stuck serving out your time. Are you referring to the thread that came up recently? In that situation, the OP failed out of med school. In that case, they want the money back. If you are in good standing in med school, the military wants its physician.

OP, this is my suggestion. You seem to be on the cusp of signing up for a commitment that you don't understand the ramifications of. That's not good. I would hold off as long as possible and do more research/thinking. If you can't delay, you may need to deny the AF offer. Maybe you can then figure it out by December if the Navy offers. You want to make sure to get this situation right. There may also be an opportunity for a 3 year scholarship. These fill up faster I think, so you have to be on top of the deadlines, but it's an option if you want to delay the decision for a year (and then only owe 3 years). I'm not sure if they would consider you if you've applied for and denied the 4 year scholarship in the past, but maybe they would. You could also consider FAP after residency, which you can find more info about on this board.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I just got a text from my recruiter saying that due to Hurricane Sandy, the board is delaying their release of decisions. I'll hear from him on Nov 27 or 28th. In the meanwhile, I'd like to find out as much information as I can about the AF. :)

When I was reading teacherman84's response below, I began wondering:
1. How many options does one rank for residency?
2. How likely is it that I'll not get a placement that I ranked?
3. How likely is it that I'll get one of my top 3 choices? (Say I went to my top one or two choices for rotations to show my face and start a great relationship).

All HPSP and usuhs students apply to the joint selection board...you pick a specialty, say IM, then have to list all of the training locations in the order you would prefer, similar to the civilian match. You can include civilian deferment in your rank order.
So someone wanting a mil residency might list the 4 IM training locations with their fifth option being a civilian deferment someone wanting to stay in OK with their wife and kids might rank Civ deferment first and all active duty locations after.

To this they can say: 1) too, were sending you to this base to train or 2) too bad, we don't have a spot for you, go find a civilian IM program in the match and well see you in 3 years, or 3)too bad, we don't need you in IM, we've got other people were training for that so: a) you come do a military internship year then go be a gmo or b) we don't want you, go find a civilian intern year then come back and be a GMO.
you can apply again during intern year for a new spot but the impression I get is that its a sentence to serve a GMO tour

Btw, I was accepted to med school last July. Only ONE med school, and deferred my M1 for a one year masters degree (I got accepted to the masters program in May). So I'm in a unique position that will hopefully help my chances.

I just got a text from my recruiter saying that due to Hurricane Sandy, the board is delaying their release of decisions. I'll hear from him on Nov 27 or 28th. In the meanwhile, I'd like to find out as much information as I can about the AF. :)

When I was reading teacherman84's response below, I began wondering:
1. How many options does one rank for residency?
2. How likely is it that I'll not get a placement that I ranked?
3. How likely is it that I'll get one of my top 3 choices? (Say I went to my top one or two choices for rotations to show my face and start a great relationship).

Btw, I was accepted to med school last July. Only ONE med school, and deferred my M1 for a one year masters degree (I got accepted to the masters program in May). So I'm in a unique position that will hopefully help my chances.

1) you must rank all active duty training locations and Civ deferment. Sticking with the IM situation: you could say I want travis, Wright pat, San Antonio, keesler or worst case a civilian deferment. You could say I want a civilian deferment or travis afb, but you still have to rank the other 3 locations. You go where they send you.

2) There is no way of knowing likelihood at this point...you may be up against 15 people for 10 spots where your chances are good, or it may be 20 people competing for 2 spots. It depends on availability and the number of applicants. The publish availability but don't release any match statistics, but even if they did there is variability every year. You may have 50 people trying for 50 spots one year and 100 the next.

3)same as above.

Its a big commitment...don't take it if you're having any doubts. Like the above poster said there are always 3 year scholarships and FAP

My reasons for applying for HPSP is my desire to ultimately practice military medicine at a base's health facility or associated military facilities. No malpractice and I don't have to deal with insurance issues and focus on taking care of my patients.

I would also be able to practice medicine the way I want because I won't have insurance restricting certain meds towards patients with certain insurance and I wouldn't want to deny any patient due to insurance. I've always had an interest in the military too and being part of something that is bigger than me. :)

I think HPSP would be a great experience if I ultimately apply for a job in a military hospital or clinic after residency. I know that civilian physicians can work on bases, but they have a harder time getting in as whoever is hiring them highly prefers military experience.

1) Are those legitimate reasons to commit (above)? There are other reasons, but the ones I state above are important.

2) Also, what is the lifestyle of, say, an internal medicine physician working in an AFB hospital? How about a primary care doctor in a clinic? How are their hours? What are the hours flexibility if there are family priorities and would have to work less? I have a notion that the AF is the branch that takes more consideration with family situations compared to other branches? Family is a HUGE priority in my life, and I want to make sure it will be honored with the decision I will make.

3) Remember I expressed my desires to end up in California? I know it is less likely than the Navy, but I hear that the AF takes a greater decision on family situations (is it a toss-up here?). I am extremely concerned because my dad has health problems. I have to be responsible for him. OOH I have been noticing that civilian residencies consider where your family is during the selection process because they want you to be happy in their program... I have a feeling that this is not the spirit of the military though, or MAYBE even a little? How much if so? I think I'll be happy anywhere in the Western part of the US at this point.

4) After residency, what exactly do you do to apply to the base you'll be in? Do you select a primary base you'll be spending most of your payback time in AND "pick" deployment places?

Last edited:
My reasons for applying for HPSP is my desire to ultimately practice military medicine at a base's health facility or associated military facilities. No malpractice and I don't have to deal with insurance issues and focus on taking care of my patients.

I think a lot of active duty medical doctors and former military doctors would have liked that. Most doctors practice at base health facilities, but not always hospitals. If you deploy, though, you will practice in whatever facilities are available at your deployment location. In the Navy, that could be on a ship at sea or in a forward operating environment somewhere.

Malpractice insurance is a business expense. You are covered by the federal government for most activities unless you are moonlighting and treating civilians. There are also some exceptions to malpractice coverage of treatment of civilians overseas.

I would also be able to practice medicine the way I want because I won't have insurance restricting certain meds towards patients with certain insurance and I wouldn't want to deny any patient due to insurance.

You won't necessarily get to practice medicine the way you want or with the formal training you would want either. Just a fact. You might have to work as a GMO with only a year of residency training and not necessarily the right amount of the right kind of training to do the job you are assigned. And just because your patients do not have commercial insurance with its myriad and arcane ways of controlling access doesn't mean your patients will have things so much easier. Not at all.

I've always had an interest in the military too and being part of something that is bigger than me. :)

That's good. No, really.

I think HPSP would be a great experience if I ultimately apply for a job in a military hospital or clinic after residency.

Your life in HPSP will be spent in civilian medical school for the most part and will have relatively little to do with the military or with gaining any experience that is military-related. The military part starts after medical school. Residency may, but also may not be something you will get to do before having to work on active duty. If you are wanting a competitive specialty, EM or anesthesia or Ortho, you might have to do GMO duty first.

I know that civilian physicians can work on bases, but they have a harder time getting in as whoever is hiring them highly prefers military experience.

Where did you get that idea? I doubt contractor work will depend on your military experience; most contractors are hired because they have a qualification required, usually board certification.

1) Are those legitimate reasons to commit (above)?

Legitimate? I guess. Sufficient, I doubt.

2) Also, what is the lifestyle of, say, an internal medicine physician working in an AFB hospital? How about a primary care doctor in a clinic? How are their hours? What are the hours flexibility if there are family priorities and would have to work less? I have a notion that the AF is the branch that takes more consideration with family situations compared to other branches? Family is a HUGE priority in my life, and I want to make sure it will be honored with the decision I will make.

Your family interests will only be one of many things considered by those assigning you to a duty station and those responsible for supervising you. I would say you should expect to share equally with your colleagues the requirements to meet whatever mission your unit is tasked with, including deployment obligations and time away from home and family. You may be required to deploy without your family and away from spouse and children. You will be expected to work normal hours, and duty hours will be a priority. You cannot expect your unit to allow you reduced hours for reasons of "family priorities." Military is a full-time-plus job.

3) Remember I expressed my desires to end up in California? I know it is less likely than the Navy, but I hear that the AF takes a greater decision on family situations (is it a toss-up here?). I am extremely concerned because my dad has health problems. I have to be responsible for him. OOH I have been noticing that civilian residencies consider where your family is during the selection process because they want you to be happy in their program... I have a feeling that this is not the spirit of the military though, or MAYBE even a little? How much if so? I think I'll be happy anywhere in the Western part of the US at this point.

I hate to rain on your parade here, but it sounds as if you have substantial family obligations, enough that I think you would not be able to fulfill the duties expected of a military doctor. If I were screening you, hearing the things you have written here and your expectations for accommodation for parental care and time off, I would recommend against accepting you. It sounds as if you need a degree of geographic assignment and work-hours flexibility that is just not possible for an active-duty medical officer, something that entering the HPSP would require you become

4) After residency, what exactly do you do to apply to the base you'll be in? Do you select a primary base you'll be spending most of your payback time in AND "pick" deployment places?

You should read some of the stickies to understand better the process of selecting and being selected for a residency when in the military. Ditto for detailing to practice assignment after residency. Deployments are still yet another issue, relevant both to GMOs and post-residency BC docs. They have been posted in answer to questions like yours ad nauseum.