affects of moving off-campus on studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univscience

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am finishing up freshman year living in an honors hall. while there are 24-hour quiet hours, i still find having a roomate, no use of a kitchen, and other things a burden. next year i will be moving into a house of four fourth year pharm students and two micro majors. the house is known for parties, usually a couple a semester. i am good at juggling responsibility and partying. i also know these guys and, obviously given their pharm track, they know how to balance life.

i'm curious, what kind of affect did moving off campus have on your school work? surely there are good and bad aspects. for some reason i only see my grades getting better because i will have my own room, private access to bathroom/kitchen, and won't have to worry about someone else's schedule (i work best from about 10pm-2am.) but i'm not looking forward to being ten minutes from the library and classes (i realize this can be much worse.)

what are your experiences? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I actually found that I studied much less when I moved out of the dorms (my grades haven't been affected, I just find it a bit harder to study).

I was used to living in a dorm (I lived in one for 3 years) that was relatively quiet and had nice study rooms. Therefore, if I wanted to make myself work I just had to walk downstairs to the study lounge and I would usually get a lot done there without distractions like my computer, tv, radio, etc.

Since I live in an apartment and everything is farther away, I find myself not wanting to walk all the way to the library or to a building to study. Since I'm stuck in my apartment for not wanting to walk so much and leave the convenience of my bathroom/snacks, I usually get distracted more easily here.

However, I think having an apartment is nice and much more comfortable, especially if you don't have roomates (less stress and you can make as much noise as you want....or not, and no one will bother you).

If you think you are disciplined enough to study in your apartment, go for it. Again, I find it harder because of all the distractions but even I wouldn't go back to the dorms now, and I also think a lot of my distractions have to do with the fact that I have a roomate who watches a lot of TV. Thank goodness it's only 3 more weeks.