Affirmitive Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omni23

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to attend medical school in the next year. Someone gave me advice to find out which states still have affirmitive action policies. My MCAT scores are in the the 8,'s and 9's and my grades are not so good ? Is this good advice and does anyone know what states have affirmitive action ?
P.S. I have searched and searched the web and I have come up with nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you really need affirmative action to get into medical school? Just need to keep in mind, there are many minorities don't need the law to get into medical school and the medical school will definite consider those applicants first.

May be you want to retake the MCAT and strengthen your profile.

Finally, can you face the challenge when someone ask you did you use the affirmative action to get into medical school.

I am interested in affirmitive action to. I'm trying to get into a top 10 school at least and I think I got what it takes to be a good doctor. Nybody know the minimums required to get in terms of how good your grades are and your test scores? I hear the MCAT was realy tough to. How far ahead should I start preparing to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
another stupid troll reviving threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god... You're "interested in affirmative action too"? It sounds like you're applying for it.

There are tons of threads to answer your question. Minority status will help, but it won't absolve you from having incredibly low stats/no ECs. Just apply like everyone else, and if URM helps, then let it be a pleasant surprise and not something you bank on to get you into medschool.

As for the mcat, you'll get great advice in the mcat section on sdn. You obviously want to start studying early for it, but not so early that you have no idea what you're studying.

Bumping 10+ year old threads on the same topics...

There is some urm considerations, but one must still be competitive academically. No one is going to hand you an acceptance, work as hard as you can and people will take the hardships you encounter into consideration.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

These days, it seems everyone feels they've "overcome the odds". It's ridiculous. Trying to bounce back from having a low GPA due to partying too much isn't overcoming squat. It pains me to hear these Jersey Shore-ish *****s (my term for people who act like preppy losers) say "you know, I've been an underdog all my life. I'm a fighter!" Yeah, right.

Of course, there are those who have overcome a lot and are true underdogs in life who made it big. Major props to them.

Sorry, venting. Hahah.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm black teepee american-indian, sport management major, 2.0/10, bp 120/80, bench press 450, penis size tbd, excellent health, do i have to use urm status for medical school? Serious replies only. Thanks.

In response to an above post by Toytles, I did party too much and it affected my grades. I did bounce back and earned great grades that at least put me at or above a 3.0. I am also a URM.

Honestly, I can't say I overcome the odds because I haven't applied yet, but just since I did overcome a few obstacles, it made me appreciate my goals more and gave me the right state of mind and maturity, but I still won't act like I was born a victim because I wasn't. I treat myself like a normal applicant as much as the next person.

I was not born "disadvantaged," because I put MYSELF at the disadvantage for acting dumb, so it pisses me off that people need to rely on URM to cover up their weak prospects. It's annoying.

I'm gonna aim for that 30 like everyone else is expected to get. I'll take it twice if need be.

Definitely check it off on the application that you are URM, but do NOT use that as a way to victimize yourself into medical school.

I think the moderators should start closing these stupid threads...

In response to an above post by Toytles, I did party too much and it affected my grades. I did bounce back and earned great grades that at least put me at or above a 3.0. I am also a URM.

Honestly, I can't say I overcome the odds because I haven't applied yet, but just since I did overcome a few obstacles, it made me appreciate my goals more and gave me the right state of mind and maturity, but I still won't act like I was born a victim because I wasn't. I treat myself like a normal applicant as much as the next person.

I was not born "disadvantaged," because I put MYSELF at the disadvantage for acting dumb, so it pisses me off that people need to rely on URM to cover up their weak prospects. It's annoying.

I'm gonna aim for that 30 like everyone else is expected to get. I'll take it twice if need be.

Definitely check it off on the application that you are URM, but do NOT use that as a way to victimize yourself into medical school.

In retrospect, I think I came across too aggressive. I guess I was POed the power went off (heavy rain) and I was typing on my phone while bathing in heat for two hours. :laugh:

My post was generalizing the way a lot of people act, not just the premed community. I think we all know at least one person in our lives that overly dramatizes their hardships. We're lucky we have the chance to go to school... forget medschool. But that's a different topic all together.

Anyway, the point I was making was pretty much what Onco said... sure you may be URM, but don't act like just because your URM you're automatically an underdog in life. And that, my friends, it Toytle's life lesson for the day. :rolleyes:

I was born white and for med school the underdogs are the white people, not urms apparently, lol. I need to pull a reverse michael jackson.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to attend medical school in the next year. Someone gave me advice to find out which states still have affirmitive action policies. My MCAT scores are in the the 8,'s and 9's and my grades are not so good ? Is this good advice and does anyone know what states have affirmitive action ?
P.S. I have searched and searched the web and I have come up with nothing.

Guuuuuuurrrrrrl Puuuuuuh-lease

I don't think being economically disadvantaged as a child is that terrible in terms of med school acceptance. I was ED but had really good grades and decent tests scores in high school. Was I disappointed I couldn't go to a top 15 school because I was nervous about having to drop out due to my family's unpredictable financial situation so I picked a local top 100 school that gave me $$$$ and allowed me to live at home. I had a pretty good GPA ( big Fish, little pond) for most of it until my predictions came true and my family's financial situation hit the fan. Point is, med schools have it backwards. When you're a kid, education is free. Being ED screws you over in college where money and education collide.

Hi, my friend is

20.3% Estonian,
58.2% Peruvian Inca,
6.0% Marxist-Leninist,
15.5% Vegetarian

She's very pretty. What are her chances for DO school?

arent you white????????

2ciiddc.jpg

"JAMAL": Ask your Asian parents to teach you some manners and maybe you can date a girl.

Not even true. I would do my research before accusing people! At least mods aren't as gullible as you and actually rely on reliable sources such as matching ip addresses.

Lol, you can reasign the IP address you're router gives you all you want but the modem's IP is what gets logged :laugh:

Your the one posting every minute, why would I be mad :p If you nonsense actually makes any sense, you would know that nothing makes a troller happy than people like you replying to this threads. But like I said, I am no troller.

Trolls don't bother me, I think it's funny and I suggest you proof read your submissions before you claim I type nonsense...

I bet you just googled that :p so I won't bother to correct you. Next time try reading into the topic rather than reading the first line on wikipedia.

When it comes to wireless networking, I'm somewhat of a self-taught expert ;)