Institutional Action Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thr33man4

Reaction score
In November of my sophomore year I had a random room search and they found 2 firearms that my father gave to me as a gift for graduating basic combat training for the army reserves. I owned them legally and was frankly one of the more qualified person to own them too due to my formal training. However, the university has a rule that people aren't allowed to have firearms in their dorm and campus security no longer holds them for you. I go to school in a notoriously sketchy town and so I had them for self defense purposes. The residential directors know that I am in the military, they know why I had them, and I declared them when they did the room search. They let me off very easy with only 2 hours of community service that my RD didn't even have me serve the full sentence, buy a safe to better safeguard my ammo, and was on disciplinary probation for like a month. They didn't even follow up with another room search. I fully own up to this mistake, I really should have known better and I was fully up front with this and frankly I got off the hook very easily and now have a good relation with the RDs. Will this IA prevent me from getting into Med school? How do I go about writing about this on my applications?

TL;DR

In fall semester of sophomore year I got in trouble for having firearms in my dorm. I owned the guns legally for self defense. School busted me for policy violation because of the firearms and punished me lightly. I own up to it and I plan on disclosing it. What should my plan of action be?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In November of my sophomore year I had a random room search and they found 2 firearms that my father gave to me as a gift for graduating basic combat training for the army reserves. I owned them legally and was frankly one of the more qualified person to own them too due to my formal training. However, the university has a rule that people aren't allowed to have firearms in their dorm and campus security no longer holds them for you. I go to school in a notoriously sketchy town and so I had them for self defense purposes. The residential directors know that I am in the military, they know why I had them, and I declared them when they did the room search. They let me off very easy with only 2 hours of community service that my RD didn't even have me serve the full sentence, buy a safe to better safeguard my ammo, and was on disciplinary probation for like a month. They didn't even follow up with another room search. I fully own up to this mistake, I really should have known better and I was fully up front with this and frankly I got off the hook very easily and now have a good relation with the RDs. Will this IA prevent me from getting into Med school? How do I go about writing about this on my applications?

TL;DR

In fall semester of sophomore year I got in trouble for having firearms in my dorm. I owned the guns legally for self defense. School busted me for policy violation because of the firearms and punished me lightly. I own up to it and I plan on disclosing it. What should my plan of action be?
Own it like you explained here.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I had some more questions about this IA. How will ADCOMs view this IA? Will they think I'm dangerous because I own firearms, or will they consider it a dumb mistake a 19 year old would make. Or something in between? Would taking a gap year to get a masters help put some distance between me and the IA help?

If you describe it similarly as you did in your original post, you'll be fine. It was possession but you had once been training from the reserves. It's definitely not the worst IA you could get. Just keep your guns locked from public access.