Affordable otoscope/ophthalmoscope options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
School is requiring us to buy our own otoscope/opthalmoscope due to COVID, any recommendations for good-enough otoscope/opthalmoscopes without breaking the bank?

Members don't see this ad.

Sigh. Such a waste. Just the other day I had an actual reason to do a funduscopic exam (pt with a large sellar lesion and headaches) and as I was reaching for the ophthalmoscope, I realized all I learned how to do in med school was make it look like I knew how to use it and there was absolutely nothing for me to gain by attempting it on this real patient.

Ask the senior students at your school if you can buy one from them. And when in doubt, just call ophtho (if you can get a hold of them).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Detach one off the wall from a surgeon’s clinic. A fair amount of dust may be on it though.

Reactions: 3 users
Just don't buy one and say you did. The only time I have ever used the one the school gave me was when I suspected my 3 year old had an ear infection.

Most cost effective option is borrow your friend's who got suckered into buying it for the one day of clinical skills over the course of four years that you will use either device.

Reactions: 2 users