MD Away Rotation options: STICU vs Surg Onc

Started by Premed798
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premed798

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been offered a choice between selecting STICU or Surgical Oncology (breast and soft tissue only) as the service for my 1st GenSurg away rotation. Which one would benefit me the most in helping me match at the institution? I've never rotated through either one of these services during 3rd year at my home institution.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Either wont matter. Just pick whichever sounds more interesting. I did clinic and spent some time in the OR with SurgOnc during my core clerkships and I felt like a lot of it was above my knowledge base. I would imagine STICU would have a lot more opportunities for you to show your ability to perform at a high level.