Afraid? But Strong, What keeps you going??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Last semester was an extremely intensive quarter for me, and i was able to push through it and performed good.

But now, with this new semester, I have a somewhat light load, and I don't have energy, rather will to study. I am afraid of not getting into medical school since my first 1.5 years were unbelievably terrible. Since then, Ive had a HUGE upward trend, but that doubt is killing me...

What keeps you pushing through?? Motivated to study and basically eat up the books and be on top of everything.... because the doubt is beginning to really scare and demotivate me, its creeping up :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Last semester was an extremely intensive quarter for me, and i was able to push through it and performed good.

But now, with this new semester, I have a somewhat light load, and I don't have energy, rather will to study. I am afraid of not getting into medical school since my first 1.5 years were unbelievably terrible. Since then, Ive had a HUGE upward trend, but that doubt is killing me...

What keeps you pushing through?? Motivated to study and basically eat up the books and be on top of everything.... because the doubt is beginning to really scare and demotivate me, its creeping up :(

chronophobia. you're running out of time and opportunities. :laugh:

Fear. Pure fear of failure. Imagine it's the end of the semester and you just got back your grades, straight C's. Now imagine you can go back in time to where you are now. Still need motivation?

embrace the fear

Members don't see this ad :)
It's different for everybody. Heck, sometimes it's even different with the same person. There's no formula for motivation.

Whenever one of my friends is losing motivation, he goes to visit his grandfather's grave. That usually does the trick. Another requires a break involving hiking; she says it clears her head.

I have my own methods; either I'll look at the local hospital (visible from my apartment), I'll call up my godmother (she's really excited by the prospect of me becoming a doctor), or I'll arrange a study group with people I know are really going to concentrate on their studies; it rubs off really easily.

But even those don't always work. It's something we all struggle with. Just figure out what causes your work ethic to go turbo and keep it up. Best advice I can give.

Good luck!

I have read the title of this thread 20 times and I still cannot wrap my head around it.

I don't know, it varies...some weeks I really am unmotivated and fall into a lull. I think it's normal to have unmotivated periods, but eventually, if you want it enough the motivation comes back in some form or another.

Wish you the best TS, I had a very rough semester as well and had been feeling pretty burnt out. I was even going to take a lighter load but opted to take a standard/slightly heavy load. Sometimes taking harder courses will keep you motivated...if nothing else for the fear of failing. :p

Also try to remember why you wanted to go become a doctor and just keep bringing it to mind.

A (healthy) fear of failure. I enjoy the challenges in both working toward medical school and working after I graduate, and find that the process provides structure for how I spend my time.

Since someone else mentioned it, "fear of failure" would be atychiphobia in Greek. I have no clue if it's actually considered a word though.

Man, in my opinion studying hard in order to get into medical school is going about it the wrong way. Study for enjoyment, study because you love learning. If you have the goal of med school in the back of your mind all the time, you'll just get stressed, demotivated, and burnt out. But if you study hard because you genuinely enjoy what you're doing (and this comes with picking a major you like), then excellence is just a derivative of doing what you love.

Ultimately you have to reconcile your doubts with the will to keep going. They're dichotomous, in a way.. The more you doubt, the harder it is to keep going. If I were you, I would just study hard and live my life well, and if at the end I had the grades to go to med school, then I would. If not, then I would do something else that was more in tune with my abilities. If you're a nice, hard-working person, it's my experience that life will work out well for you, if not necessarily in the way you expected. Becoming a doctor is not worth it if you are always miserable!

I actually find that it helps to stop focusing on your ultimate goal for a little bit. I feel overwhelmed thinking about everything that lies ahead of me on the way to earning my M.D. If you take a deep breath and focus on what's right in front of you--maybe an OChem test, or some difficult research--it's easier to tackle when it's not one of a million things that you have yet to do.

Rhesus, we seem to both have the twin banana thing going on in our sig. I wish I could say that I thought of it first, but now that I think about it, you've had those there for a long time... :p Well it's awesome enough for two people to have it, right??

Rhesus, we seem to both have the twin banana thing going on in our sig. I wish I could say that I thought of it first, but now that I think about it, you've had those there for a long time... :p Well it's awesome enough for two people to have it, right??

UM YES. This site needs more dancing bananas.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Fear. Pure fear of failure. Imagine it's the end of the semester and you just got back your grades, straight C's. Now imagine you can go back in time to where you are now. Still need motivation?

embrace the fear

That is an unbelivably great reply man, it seriously jacked my energy to the full after I got an eeky streek just imagining it!!

Everyone else, THANK you so much for helping out, im surprised no one started staying troll and all that stupid stuff.... I appreciate it

That is an unbelivably great reply man, it seriously jacked my energy to the full after I got an eeky streek just imagining it!!

Everyone else, THANK you so much for helping out, im surprised no one started staying troll and all that stupid stuff.... I appreciate it

Sorry, guys, I was busy memorizing the periodic table and planning my derm residency. But I'm here now and [as it appears] just in time.
Let me catch my breath... *whew*

Okay... OP, you're like totally a troll.:mad:

Thank you, thank you. Good night. I love you all. You're too kind. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, guys, I was busy memorizing the periodic table and planning my derm residency. But I'm here now and [as it appears] just in time.
Let me catch my breath... *whew*

Okay... OP, you're like totally a troll.:mad:

Thank you, thank you. Good night. I love you all. You're too kind. Thank you. :)

Y-U-DO-DIS.jpg

I get these in my underwear sometimes.

Hey everyone,

You have to be like Kobe Bryant. Forget your first 1.5 yrs cos as of now it's only what you do now that matters. In game 7 of the NBA finals last year, kobe missed shot after shot and you know what he did when he got the ball in the 4th quarter? He shot it! That's what you gotta do.