Strong activities but no theme?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroncosCountry12

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

One thing that I can't help think about is how many of my activities are strong, but not connected. I see many times in online forums how having a narrative/central theme is vital for admission to T10 schools (in a unique case where I'm only applying T10s because I'm applying out of my BS/MD program with no risk of losing my seat).

Namely, my notable experiences are:
  • neuroscience research (5 basic science + 3 clinical pubs, mix of first author and middle authors, played important role in nature med paper)
  • medical device company (created a surgical device that has been valued and will soon be bought out for multimillion dollar valuation)
  • founded a program that has helped thousands of people in rural India by offering free basic health evaluations and talks about how to improve one's diet and lifestyle
  • some other random internships and experiences laced in (have sufficient clinical, volunteering, shadowing, etc)
Although I believe each of these experiences are strong, I'm a little worried that they don't really tie together well enough (just fyi, I did each of these experiences out of genuine passion, not just to pad my resume). Please let me know if I'm overthinking things.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Strange how you said you had 15 publications previously.

Regardless, your ECs are very similar to mine, and a theme is definitely possible. Think about the future patient population you want to serve and how exactly you want to accomplish that as a physician: academic medicine (MSTP), clinical practice, health policy, health administration, public/ global health settings, etc. An example would be to shape your narrative as an entrepreneur interested in health policy with a global focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

One thing that I can't help think about is how many of my activities are strong, but not connected. I see many times in online forums how having a narrative/central theme is vital for admission to T10 schools (in a unique case where I'm only applying T10s because I'm applying out of my BS/MD program with no risk of losing my seat).

Namely, my notable experiences are:
  • neuroscience research (5 basic science + 3 clinical pubs, mix of first author and middle authors, played important role in nature med paper)
  • medical device company (created a surgical device that has been valued and will soon be bought out for multimillion dollar valuation)
  • founded a program that has helped thousands of people in rural India by offering free basic health evaluations and talks about how to improve one's diet and lifestyle
  • some other random internships and experiences laced in (have sufficient clinical, volunteering, shadowing, etc)
Although I believe each of these experiences are strong, I'm a little worried that they don't really tie together well enough (just fyi, I did each of these experiences out of genuine passion, not just to pad my resume). Please let me know if I'm overthinking things.

Thank you!
How did these different experiences contribute to your goals? The type of physician you intend to be? Do you intend to combine research and clinical practice? What was the impact of these experiences on you?

You might find your theme in the answer to those questions.