Afraid to submit AMCAS: advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application is all ready to be sent except for the MCAT which I take this month. The thing that I'm worried about is getting a rejection before my scores come back. Other then my undergrad years (BS in '95 low gpa) my application is pretty solid. My Graduate GPA is excellent (not bragging), I have plenty of health care EC's (paramedic, CPR instructor), some research and good LOR's lined up. If my practice tests are any indication I'm hoping for a 28-31 on the real test.

If a school had all my info (including MCAT) and rejected me then at least I'd know that they saw the whole picture when they made their decision. However if I submit my application now and I get a rejection before my scores are in I think I'd feel cheated. However I also want to get the secondaries going assuming I'm sent any. So I guess my question is, do any of the Med Schools (especially Ohio) send out rejections before the application is complete or will they not even look though it and send out a secondary?

I'm probably rambling. Thanks for your advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I think for people who are slated to take the August MCAT, they just put your application to the side until the scores are back, and THEN they look at your app. It's best to have your application all there by the time your MCAT comes in (don't know if they wait for MCAT to send secondaries) but to have all else there. Also, most places do NOT screen before sending secondaries.

If you want some clarification, check out www.examkrackers.com/forums

I am sounding like an ad for his site lately, but there is a woman there who was the director for admissions at New York Medical College and she answers questions from pre-meds about applying to med school. I know she has addressed your question a zillion times. Read through all of the questions and her answers and I bet you'd learn a lot. I post about the site because I feel like she's ONE source of information (your premed advisor and the schools you will apply to as others) that feels pretty reliable.

Good luck on the MCAT!

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Most schools just have some sort of computer program to evaluate GPA/MCAT scores... and then decide who to accept. without your MCAT, there's no real way to do that, so I think your app will just sit there until the MCAT comes in.
btw does anyone still have that link for paper on Stanfords admissions. it was an internal memo that detailed how the computer program they used worked, I think there were 14 criteria... MCATs, GPA, undegrad institution

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DarkChild

btw does anyone still have that link for paper on Stanfords admissions. it was an internal memo that detailed how the computer program they used worked, I think there were 14 criteria... MCATs, GPA, undegrad institution

talking about this?
stanford memo