African American nontraditional students, check in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I'm one of the youngest here. 23 y/o AA male. Graduating in December with a BS. I still need to complete my med school requirements and take the MCAT. I'm planning on attending Harvard Extension School or UT-Dallas' pre-health programs next fall (2012).

Hopefully I'll be in med school at 27. What do you guys think about completing a masters during this time? Will it help my application any?

Also, how can I make the most of these next couple years other than getting A's in my premed classes? (Working, research, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of different answers to your question about completing a master's and if it will help. I can only speak to my own experiences: I finished an MPH before applying to medical school, did really well in the program, etc. It came up in my interviews and my interviewers seemed impressed with it, asked a lot of questions pertaining to my research/industry experience with it. It certainly didn't hurt any, lol. Good luck.

I'm 23 years old AA female, from Detroit MI but did undergrad in Ohio.. former college basketball player(just D2) turned soccer player, currently applying to DO school and some SMPs:xf:... Also doing cancer research (cellular level) at WSU SOM. I want to ultimately practice medicine (Emergency Medicine) and do clinical research for cancer and diabetes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 23 years old AA female, from Detroit MI but did undergrad in Ohio.. former college basketball player(just D2) turned soccer player, currently applying to DO school and some SMPs:xf:... Also doing cancer research (cellular level) at WSU SOM. I want to ultimately practice medicine (Emergency Medicine) and do clinical research for cancer and diabetes.

Great, you sound like me, well not the athletic part or age, but the part on wanting to do clinical research for cancer and diabetes. I am now in my second year of doing clinical research. I am trying hard to get a foot in to work at our cancer center at school and I also will be working with a pediatric neurologist doing research on a rare neurological disorder! Glad to see some non-trads that are AA! Good luck! :D

Hey everyone :)

I'm 25, AA female from NY. I completed undergrad in '08 with a BA in Language and Literature.I've always thought about medical school but I've been working in Education these past few years. I can no longer ignore this feeling deep down that I should pursue becoming a doctor. I completed my pre-reqs during undergrad but would like to do a post bacc or SMP program to improve credentials. Researching programs now... but am hopeful to start med school in 2013.

Yay! Welcome! I too am 25, from the south though and completed my degree in 2008. I had a teacher aide/tutor assistant position and realized how crucial education is, even at the kindergarten level and the disparity in learning capability. I have lurked this site quite a few years and I have heard that teaching is looked favorably at because essentially a doctor teaches the patient so you may have a hidden arsenal and benefit to your behalf. I am applying for C.O. 2013 as well, GL to you!

Hi everyone! I am a 34 year old, almost divorced female.

I currently work in mental health as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

I have undergrad in Sociology/Criminal Justice - 3.2

And a Master's in Social Work - 3.6

I currently am enrolled in a postbac - "2nd degree" biology program. It's a lot easier than I thought. The hardest thing for me is the early hours, as I have worked 2nd shift for the past 7 years.

I figure, I might as well get used to odd hours if I want to pursue medical school. As my screen name suggests, I should be finished with med school and in residency by the time I am 40 years old.

Excited and looking forward to the journey. :oops:

Hi Everyone!

I have a PhD and will be applying to 1 year MPH programs this fall. I'm planning to spend time abroad in clinical and other settings before applying to medical school (when I'm 31 or 32). Also single, no kids and not even dating (need to do something about that lol).

~GraC

Hi Everyone!

I have a PhD and will be applying to 1 year MPH programs this fall. I'm planning to spend time abroad in clinical and other settings before applying to medical school (when I'm 31 or 32). Also single, no kids and not even dating (need to do something about that lol).

~GraC

Awesome! What is your PhD in if you don't mind me asking?

Hi everyone! I am a 34 year old, almost divorced female.

I currently work in mental health as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

I have undergrad in Sociology/Criminal Justice - 3.2

And a Master's in Social Work - 3.6

I currently am enrolled in a postbac - "2nd degree" biology program. It's a lot easier than I thought. The hardest thing for me is the early hours, as I have worked 2nd shift for the past 7 years.

I figure, I might as well get used to odd hours if I want to pursue medical school. As my screen name suggests, I should be finished with med school and in residency by the time I am 40 years old.

Excited and looking forward to the journey. :oops:

Sorry to hear about the divorce part, but I thought about psychiatry as well but I am keeping my options open! Welcome and GL!

Great, you sound like me, well not the athletic part or age, but the part on wanting to do clinical research for cancer and diabetes. I am now in my second year of doing clinical research. I am trying hard to get a foot in to work at our cancer center at school and I also will be working with a pediatric neurologist doing research on a rare neurological disorder! Glad to see some non-trads that are AA! Good luck! :D

Thanks and good luck to you too!

27 yearold BW considering Pre-dental
im a Jr finishing my degree in correctional science

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just roaming and saw this thread. I just finished residency in July. So it's a long road but it can happen. :)

Last edited:
I was just roaming and saw this thread. I'm a 33 yo AA male currently a first year attending. I just finished residency in July. I have a BS in psych and worked as a school counselor before applying for a post bac program then med school. So it's a long road but it can happen. :)

Cool, social science to life science. I am making the journey now. What is your area of practice? Did you stick with Mental Health or did you ditch us? :p

Hey!!! I am a 23 year old New Yorker, graduated with a BA from Columbia over a year ago, and working in research and praying to get accepted to medical school!

Hi all! I am an aa female. I started med school at 34 with two young children. Currently in my third year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

I am a 24 y/o AA female originally from the East Lansing, MI area, but now working in Ann Arbor, where I completed my B.S. in global health and Chinese language and culture. I was accepted to MSUCOM last year and deferred so I could finish my MPH this year. :)

Hi everyone! I'm a nontraditional AA female, BS and MS in Biology. At this time, I am a doctoral student and instructor of Biology at an undergraduate institution. I'm hoping and praying to be accepted into the med schools of my choice for the 2012 entering class. I'm interested in academic medicine as I love research and teaching. I hope to specialize in oncology so that I may continue performing cancer related research.

Yay! Welcome! I too am 25, from the south though and completed my degree in 2008. I had a teacher aide/tutor assistant position and realized how crucial education is, even at the kindergarten level and the disparity in learning capability. I have lurked this site quite a few years and I have heard that teaching is looked favorably at because essentially a doctor teaches the patient so you may have a hidden arsenal and benefit to your behalf. I am applying for C.O. 2013 as well, GL to you!
Thanks EWO! Good luck to you too!

25 with a wife and 2 kids. Dropped out of my first university for various reasons. Now correcting mistakes I have made in the past and reaching for an MD/PHD position. I had a long introduction in the general Non-Trad forum if anyone cares. I just didn't think it was necessary to bore everyone with those details again lol.

anyone else studying for the january or march mcat?

im 23 AA female from IN. Ive been in undergrad forever since 2006 working toward a Bio degree.
i have over 150credits and still no degree after switching IU campuses, changing majors, and retaking classes :/

I postponed applying for 2012 cycle and now im preparing for 2013 cycle.
i have low cgpa 3.3 and sgpa is 3.2 if I can pull off As in the rest of my science class until may o_0
Burnout got to me like 1.5 years ago

I really want to do an MPH/M.D. program--i do not want to postpone med school for masters however. my top school is Wayne State or MSU.
i know i have low gpa but hopefully my MCAT will help to offset it some.
im finding it really hard to get into the grind of studying for it---all my pre-reqs were spread apart by several semesters so I have to do a little more than just a review for this thing. i kept putting it off all of 2011 (after spending over $400 by registering and pushing it back....just to cancel it in September) and now i just want it over with.

well see how this thing goes :rolleyes:

Hi all. 39 year old, soon to be 40, black male (spent 18 years in the Army so I got started with school real late). Finished undergrad in May 2010 w/ bachelors in microbiology and community health promotion and am a 3rd semester masters student in the pharmacology & toxicology program at Michigan State University. I will be applying to allo and osteo schools after retaking my MCAT in March. I wish you all well!

Hi Guys!
I’m a 27 year old AA female. Began undergrad as pre-Med and changed my major to Sociology the second semester of my 3rd year. My advisor (who was the Bio department chair) told me flat out that I wouldn’t be a doctor. Additionally, taking Anatomy, Chem I and Genetics (for the 2nd time, not sure why I registered for an upper division Bio course my sophomore year) in the same semester as well as holding multiple leadership positions on my campus completely burnt me out.

I’ve worked in healthcare for years. Started off as an intern in High School working for a board certified anesthesiologist who specialized in pain medicine. I worked there throughout college as well. Presently, I work in healthcare operations at a social justice healthcare organization in the primary care/oral health department. Our patient demographic are persons who are experiencing homelessness or have HIV/AIDS.

As of last year, I decided that my passion lies in becoming a doctor in addition to managing a facility that serves underrepresented minorities in underserved communities. Began researching PA programs last year and decided why not just go to medical school. My plan is to take post bacc science classes and hopefully enroll in a MPH progam. Hope to enter med school in 2014 or 2015.

Good luck to everyone on their journey to med school!

26yo AA female just started a postbacc program in Boston. Loving every minute of it but don't regret for a second the time I took off after undergrad to try non-med stuff. worked for an education non-profit and tech company before traveling and deciding to get back to medicine.
the program I'm doing is very DIY but with really excellent professors, if you're at all interested (Harvard Extension, extension.harvard.edu).

Is anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the amount of info we need to wrestle with to get our applications in order? I'm applying in 2013, to start 2014, but just feel like every time I talk to someone, I realize there's one more thing I should have started doing 3 months ago. How are you guys handling that? For those in or from the Boston area, any advice on finding a mentor out here? I'd love to get connected with an AA female doc if possible.

GOOD LUCK to everyone. I'm a long time reader and infrequent poster. I have attended medical school and will be taking my step exam soon. It IS definately doable. Just keep your eyes on your goal and never take no for an answer. Keep praying, and the Good Lord will answer your prayers. With that being said, be ready to WORK. This will be one of the hardest things you will do, but not impossible. If anyone needs any help or advice, feel free to PM me. I have some time off as I study, so I'd be glad to assist anyone thru the process, or just some simple words of encouragement.

Djquickfingers

Just Checking in.

26 y/o AA guy here. Just finished up a DIY post-bacc and now I'll go in hibernation until the April MCAT. Good luck to everyone on this pre-med to med school track - it's a tough one but I guarantee you're tougher ;)

I'm 23 y/o AA. I'm currently in a MPH program but seriously thinking about getting a MD. I've put it on hold this long. Probably wont apply for about 2 years need to do a post bac program and get more exposure. Open to any suggestions on how to prepare :)

26 yr old AA female. I'm married with 2 kids and a cat. I am junior at a state university. I've recently left my job of 7 yrs to focus on this dream of becoming a doctor. Its frightening but exciting. I have a low gpa so I am working on getting my grades back up. I wont be ready to appy until the 2014 cycle. Right now I anticipate doing research at the CDC for infectious diseases, I'm volunteering at a hospital once a week, and I volunteer with the organization that gives free Aids test to the homeless.

22 yr old black female graduating this Aug with a BA in biology. 3.71 overall and 3.6 sGPA.
I am studying for the MCAT now and plan to take it in Jan. 2013.
I am working as a tutor and a surg tech.

Last edited:
Will be 26 when I matriculate....completed a BA in '07, worked in a lab for a couple years and now finishing up a MS in May....I start medical school in the fall.

Last edited:
Hello fellow WSU student,
Are there any other Michiganders? I'm an AA female, 31, married with children, 7yr nonprofit career and recently accepted to OUWB. Follow your dreams!

24 AA ( Iin this came I mean African African , lol) finishing bachelor in Chemistry in April and since everybody here decided to go to Med school , I took a different path. Will be attending Union University College of Pharmacy (TN) in Fall 12:laugh::love:. I am really excited about it:)

Hello fellow WSU student,
Are there any other Michiganders? I'm an AA female, 31, married with children, 7yr nonprofit career and recently accepted to OUWB. Follow your dreams!

Michigander right here.

32 AA female, married with child. BS in sports medicine/athletic training, MS in athletic administration (waste of time). I am slated to take the MCAT summer 2012 :)

I guess I'm one of the youngest here. 23 y/o AA male. Graduating in December with a BS. I still need to complete my med school requirements and take the MCAT. I'm planning on attending Harvard Extension School or UT-Dallas' pre-health programs next fall (2012).

Hopefully I'll be in med school at 27. What do you guys think about completing a masters during this time? Will it help my application any?

Also, how can I make the most of these next couple years other than getting A's in my premed classes? (Working, research, etc.)

Hey Man,

26y/o AA male here. Graduated in '08, and will be attending one of the UC's in the Fall as an out of state applicant (32R, 3.09 sGPA from an Ivy). I took 4 years and worked in education (teaching and managing). I would definitely say take some time to make yourself into a well rounded applicant (research. shadowing, ONLY A's in post-bac courses, 30+ MCAT, etc.). In addition to all that, find something that you love doing and will give you leadership skills and experience. That will at least get you the interviews that you want. From there, just be a real person and things should work out somewhere :)

Good luck to everybody!

i really smart, i black. i get in, i apply affirmative action, right? i good docter.

I am currently in the what should I do boat. African American I turn 27 tomorrow I have a B.S. in Biology. I graduated nearly 3 years ago.Right now my cum GPA is 3.1 and science 2.9....having so many credits the highest i can bring my undergrad GPA is 3.2 and Science 3.0. I have not taken the MCAT yet and not sure what my next step should be. I was considering doing a MPH but several people have stated that wont help me get into medical school. So right now I have no idea what I will be doing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am currently in the what should I do boat. African American I turn 27 tomorrow I have a B.S. in Biology. I graduated nearly 3 years ago.Right now my cum GPA is 3.1 and science 2.9....having so many credits the highest i can bring my undergrad GPA is 3.2 and Science 3.0. I have not taken the MCAT yet and not sure what my next step should be. I was considering doing a MPH but several people have stated that wont help me get into medical school. So right now I have no idea what I will be doing. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I'd consider acing a formal post bacc program...

Honestly, I think you have a chance of getting in somewhere. However, you would have to do really well on the MCAT. I've read many stats that African Americans with a 3.0 and up GPA and a 35 and up MCAT have almost an 80% chance of getting in to med school compared to their nonminority counterparts. But it would also depend on your extracurricular activities, and if you have volunteer experience.

You can definitely get in somewhere if you get a 33+ MCAT score. Where you can get in will depend most on your score, what you've been doing for the past 3 years, and where your undergrad was. I would suggest going to your state school after admissions season dies down and speaking with the minority admissions Dean there. They won't be able to tell you if you can get in or not, but you'll get your face on their radar and probably be able to get an impression of what you'd have to do to be competitive there. I did the same with a 3.1GPA, 3.07 sGPA and it was strongly suggested that 9s or 10s across would make me competitive at my state school.

In the meantime get as much leadership experience as you can. Research is good, but experience leading and working with people is also necessary.

good luck!

You can definitely get in somewhere if you get a 33+ MCAT score. Where you can get in will depend most on your score, what you've been doing for the past 3 years, and where your undergrad was. I would suggest going to your state school after admissions season dies down and speaking with the minority admissions Dean there. They won't be able to tell you if you can get in or not, but you'll get your face on their radar and probably be able to get an impression of what you'd have to do to be competitive there. I did the same with a 3.1GPA, 3.07 sGPA and it was strongly suggested that 9s or 10s across would make me competitive at my state school.

In the meantime get as much leadership experience as you can. Research is good, but experience leading and working with people is also necessary.

good luck!

To the original poster of the question: 32+ MCAT scores are possible but not likely. PLEASE do not underestimate the MCAT. 30+ is at least 85th percentile.

29-year-old non trad in California (Bay Area). I did 6 years active duty Air Force and I was a Business Management major all while I was in the service. I got out the military in '07 with my AA degree and I started working on finishing the major core classes at Park University in Missouri(I had only 15 classes and I was done!), but realized that Business Management was not the degree for me. 3.35 GPA and all too lol. I was stationed in Missouri for the whole time I was active duty, and when I transferred to Cal State East Bay, I decided to drop the business degree and go for the Biochemistry degree. Unfortunatley, this has tacked on about 3 extra years of school due to transfer and having to do all the pre-req's for the Biochem degree, plus all the courses that CSUEB requires =(. I currently work for Kaiser Permanente (non-clinical) full time and I have been knocking out 3 classes a semester (we have 4-10 week semesters year round). I start the Chem and Physics sequence in the fall and I will also be taking Calc II with those classes. Question: will schools look down on me for switching degrees mid-way through my business degree? And will my reasons for not going for this degree earlier (military service) suffice? I should be done with my biochem degree by the time I am 31 and I will apply for med school at that time. Also, since I dont have a 4 year degree now and my gpa so far is pretty cool (3.35 but should increase by the time im done with this degree), I dont have to do a SMP or anything right? Those are mainly if you did bad in undergrad or have been out of school for a while right? Thanks everybody and hang in there!!
new2thegame, I’m not sure what your current status is since this is an older post, but if your still charging forward, keep your head up! I have similar experiences as you. I was 33 when I separated with a wife and 3 small children from Finance in the Active Duty Air Force after 12 years of Enlisted service to go back to school as a full-time student. I also only had an AA degree. When I got out, I still had 18 hours to complete for my Accounting degree. I also decided to get a Biology degree with a Molecular Biotechnology concentration because it had been 14 years since I had taken ANY science courses, and I needed to complete the prereqs. I’ll earn my Accounting and Biology degrees at the end of this semester, and I’ll be starting dental school this fall at the tender age of 35! ☺

Every school to which I applied said that the cumulative GPA was important, but not as important as your BCP GPA. Also, your GPA for the last 90 hours carries more weight than the cumulative GPA. I’m not sure about medical schools, but based on my conversations with Admissions officers who visited our school’s AED meetings, I believe they have the same policy. You are a nontraditional student with lots of life experience and the discipline earned from military service working for you. You’re the type of student professional schools are looking for!

I didn’t do SMP. I only retook Biology and Chemistry I and II and my overall GPA is LOOOOOOWW. I would suggest getting involved at the leadership level in your campus organizations - you know the drill Airmen! ☺ Of course, some science research won’t hurt you either. Finally, it goes without saying, you’ve got to rock out in all of the classes you’re taking now and get a high score on the MCAT.

If you want it, take it!

Hello all! 25 y/o law school grad here. Disenchanted with the justice system and applying to med school this cycle. Currently, finishing prereqs and taking the mcat on 7/26. Good luck to everyone on your endeavors!

Hello All! I'm 26 almost 27 y/o female applying this cycle also. Plans to take MCAT this Friday, but questioning if I should postpone due to recent failed practice attempts and migraines. Single with no kids. I don't think I am organized enough to do all this with a family. I have a 3.56 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa B.S. in Biochem and Micro and need a 30+ on MCAT to accomodate. I am looking into research heavy schools and applying both MD and DO. Yeah, the MCAT is not a joke! It's more than content knowledge. It is test-taking skills, content, and critical-thinking/analyzing. Plus VR is still killing me. I should have read more as a child. Hahahaha. Shoulda, coulda, wouldas! Good luck everyone this cycle and whomever is applying in coming cycles!

Hi Everyone,

Are they any Black international students on this thread? International black students face pretty unique challenges (e.g.: not eligible for state schools), so I could definitely use some support!

Last edited:
Hello,

25 year old African female. Doing an informal post-bac program and working part-time. Trying to take the may 2013 MCAT. Just trying to stay grounded and focus.

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this thread! Hey everyone, My name is Courtney. I'm a 22 year old, Black/Puerto Rican male in Los Angeles hoping to get into med school Fall 2016! Single with no kids (would like to have 4-5 of them one day though lol). After high school I went to community college for a semester, and my grades were so-so...I definitely wasn't trying hard at all because I didn't know what career path to choose and at the time, believed my path did not require college. 4 years later, I am going back to school this fall to become a doctor. It was always something I wanted to do, but didn't know if it was what I was suppose to do. I am currently a manager at a corporate finance investment company (yeah, the wall-street-crooked-type), I often found myself in my office on my computer reading medical case studies throughout the day, to escape corporate politics and the suffering the company caused to other people. It was during one of those escapes that I realized my true purpose and made the decision to follow my gut, and my passion. I'm thinking about majoring in Sociology instead of a hard science to obtain my bachelors. 1. Because I like sociology. 2. A lot of medical schools are looking more favorably on Humanities majors.

Nice meeting you all!

I am a middle aged AA single mom, and I am starting second year in a few weeks.

Good Luck tpo everyone and never stop fighting!!:love:

Reactions: 1 users