AFRO/NATURAL HAIRSTYLE FOR INTERVIEWS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eightoheight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but I would like some advice.

This is typically how I wear my hair:

maggiee.jpg

With shrinkage it looks more like:

c2035f7b68e3314e3aa105ad329f3a6b.png

Same length and style for the most part.
Is this appropriate for an interview?

I am suddenly getting concerned about “professional” styling and such. I never had a problem looking professional but after reading forums I hate that I’m becoming self conscious about this.

Has anyone interviewed with an afro and got accepted? How did you feel you were perceived during the interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this looks just fine as long as you are in professionla dress and carry yourself professionally. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

A huge colin kaepernick fro, especially on a guy, would look over the top to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this looks just fine as long as you are in professionla dress and carry yourself professionally. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

A huge colin kaepernick fro, especially on a guy, would look over the top to me.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I will save the Colin look until after the acceptance ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. I wore a fro to my interview, granted it was a tiny fro and my curls are much tighter but it was a fro nonetheless.

Good luck!

I have sister locks. any advice? they are shoulder length!

I was thinking twists and then pin them

Reactions: 1 user

I personally think sister locks look great down, especially when very small. Do you have a photo for reference?

I also like low buns with them. I would do a bun too but my hair is too thick to get the look I want.

I think they would be totally fine down! I like the pinning idea as well though.

I personally think sister locks look great down, especially when very small. Do you have a photo for reference?

I also like low buns with them. I would do a bun too but my hair is too thick to get the look I want.

This is a great example of mine. I have very thick - od nigerian hair.
my next appointment is the 27th and my first interview the 13th!
May have to check with my mama loool. get her thoughts

Attachments

• twoHeads.jpg
    twoHeads.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 136

I have sister locs too!! (And Nigerian as well!!)
I'd go with a bun as to me they look more 'put together'
Mine are still short (shrinkage leaves it by my ears) so I'll be wigging it even though my interview is after my retightening.

Now just gotta decide if I should do a straight wig or a braided wig.

Any thoughts on braids for ERAS application pictures?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great example of mine. I have very thick - od nigerian hair.
my next appointment is the 27th and my first interview the 13th!
May have to check with my mama loool. get her thoughts

Oh these are cute! If freshly done they’ll look great down. I could see pin up/bun being cute too. Good luck during interview!

I have sister locs too!! (And Nigerian as well!!)
I'd go with a bun as to me they look more 'put together'
Mine are still short (shrinkage leaves it by my ears) so I'll be wigging it even though my interview is after my retightening.

Now just gotta decide if I should do a straight wig or a braided wig.
I almost decided on the same thing. then decided with heat I'll pin them up. ! If that wig looks blended do straight! :)

Oh these are cute! If freshly done they’ll look great down. I could see pin up/bun being cute too. Good luck during interview!
thank you! I'm going to twist and pin, my friend just did hers like that and i was like wow perfect!

What is the consensus on a tapered cut for a female?

I like it. Modest jewelry and you’re good to go.

Do you have any crazy designs in the cut?

No crazy designs in the cut! I have some time too, so I'm going to grow the sides out a bit thank you!

You're fine, and anyone who really cares about it, especially if your hair looks like the given pictures, is ridiculous and not worthy of the talent you can bring to their program.

Reactions: 4 users
Just an update: I wore it naturally “down” or “out”, rather, and I got accepted to every program I interviewed for! Plus I got a lot of compliments on my hair. It makes me feel a bit sad that I even worried about it tbh. Wishing the rest of you the best!

Reactions: 4 users