1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

after 2nd year..

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Pigsfoot, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Pigsfoot

Pigsfoot Illinois Class of 2014!
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    hey...so i recall a thread somewhere about how after 2nd year our educational status puts us kind of at the same level as a certified vet tech. does anyone know where this thread is? if not-has anyone else heard that? it makes sense, i'm just wondering...

thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
    Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    mm i've heard it was after 3rd year but i cant remember where either (not on here though)

4. that redhead

I hadn't heard that before, but it's likely just my lack of knowledge. I imagine that would be difficult to determine though since it seems some programs are more hands-on earlier versus others that seem to have much less hands-on exposure. I'd be interested to know either way though!

5. heylodeb

heylodeb Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Intern
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    It probably is dependent on the school. I know at Davis, you are given an RVT after two years. (Although that might change with the new curriculum?)

6. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie
    Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    That was what I was told when I was looking for a job in between second and third year.

7. Pigsfoot

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    wow-they just award you an RVT without taking the VTNE? that's impressive..

It just makes so much sense, right now between my 1st and 2nd year, I am at a clinic and I feel like I have *some* knowledge, but I don't even know how to read a flippin' ear cytology slide or a fecal. I know that our 2nd year covers all that lab stuff and I'm figuring by next summer I'll be so much more useful at the clinic in the lab. I just was hoping most clinics aknowledge that too...

8. Pigsfoot

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    oh, sorry about the cross posting, just wanted to be sure my question was seen and i figured both threads would have potential answers. i assumed the current vet students one would be more active than it is.

9. jjohnston

Veterinarian
    Hmm. While I have heard that we're considered equivalent to an RVT after second year, I don't think we're actually given the license. If so, I was cheated because I never got mine! :p