After being accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingyibvs

Psych!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it take to get the offer rescinded? I know about not committing a serious crime, but what about grades? What if someone has a bunch of C's following the acceptance? If I'm in a masters program, could my offer be taken away if I withdraw from the program?

Thanks.

(This topic has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find it through searching. If someone could show me a previous thread discussing it, it'll be very helpful as well!)

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm in a masters program, could my offer be taken away if I withdraw from the program?

Most of the schools I got into had a line somewhere in the acceptance that said you must finish the degree. If you worked this hard to get in, just finish your degree and get decent (not perfect) grades. Why blow it now?

Most of the schools I got into had a line somewhere in the acceptance that said you must finish the degree. If you worked this hard to get in, just finish your degree and get decent (not perfect) grades. Why blow it now?

Well, the med school happens to start fairly early, as in just a day or two after the masters program ends, a little relaxation time would've been nice....

Members don't see this ad :)
Though it varies, I'm sure, from school to school, mine says:

Your acceptance is based on information that is currently available to the Admissions Committee. This acceptance could be withdrawn due to any of the following circumstances:

a.) Additional information from AMCAS that was not available to the Admissions Committee at the time of your acceptance;
b.) Non-completion of required courses;
c.) Grades of below "C" in any current or future coursework;
d.) Deficiencies of a personal or ethical nature;
e.) Information received as a result of the background information process by Certiphi Screening, Inc.

Well, the med school happens to start fairly early, as in just a day or two after the masters program ends, a little relaxation time would've been nice....

Definitely understandable. Honestly, just call the dean of the place you want to go to and give them your hypothetical situation. Give them a fake name if it makes you feel better. Make sure you get all the information though, it's not worth it to chance it at all.

You can also semi-coast and get B's if it helps you relax some.

Congrats on the acceptance though.

Definitely understandable. Honestly, just call the dean of the place you want to go to and give them your hypothetical situation. Give them a fake name if it makes you feel better. Make sure you get all the information though, it's not worth it to chance it at all.

I'm actually asking on behalf of a friend, so we've got the identity part covered already :laugh: I'll relay to her the congratulations tho, thanks :)

I suppose I'll have to call the dean of admissions to find out for sure, too big of a thing to chance.

What does it take to get the offer rescinded? I know about not committing a serious crime, but what about grades? What if someone has a bunch of C's following the acceptance? If I'm in a masters program, could my offer be taken away if I withdraw from the program?

Thanks.

(This topic has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find it through searching. If someone could show me a previous thread discussing it, it'll be very helpful as well!)
I considered this situation as well, and decided to email the schools that I was applying to. Honestly, most of them did not have a requirement to complete the grad program, but a few did. It's best to contact them and make sure they do not have that policy. Some responded saying that if you can provide a letter from your adviser/program chair recognizing your release without completion, then there is no problem. Again, it varies from school to school.

I considered this situation as well, and decided to email the schools that I was applying to. Honestly, most of them did not have a requirement to complete the grad program, but a few did. It's best to contact them and make sure they do not have that policy. Some responded saying that if you can provide a letter from your adviser/program chair recognizing your release without completion, then there is no problem. Again, it varies from school to school.

Thank you very much!

I'm actually asking on behalf of a friend, so we've got the identity part covered already :laugh: I'll relay to her the congratulations tho, thanks :)

I suppose I'll have to call the dean of admissions to find out for sure, too big of a thing to chance.

for a "friend", then why do you have to call the dean for admin?

:laugh:

Excellent suggestion and advice. :thumbup:

You can get an offer rescinded by bad behavior at the second look visit. There was such a case at Duke (?) two years ago when the student drank too much and said the wrong things to the wrong people.

You can get an offer rescinded by bad behavior at the second look visit. There was such a case at Duke (?) two years ago when the student drank too much and said the wrong things to the wrong people.

oh man.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::scared: