After NECO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soupey

beyond.ca
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my NECO interview recently, just wanted to give my feedback since this forum has helped me out substantially with all the interviews.

First off I'll say that the campus is pretty nice, its 2 (or 3, can't remember for sure)former mansions that have been combined into one building, I think theres another one that they've acquired and are going to convert into a student center in the future. The clinics are off campus, and seem to have their upsides and downsides, there is a lot of money invested into their main clinic, the downside being that its off campus.

All of the staff was very courteous and welcoming, and all the other interviewees seemed like nice people for my day. One of the applicants brought along a guest (didn't realize you can do that until I saw her bring her BF along for the entire process).

The interview itself is open file, but they don't drill you about specifics in your application, but they expect you to bring up any weaknesses in your application and work from there. The questions were pretty straight forward. These are the ones I can remember:

- Why Optometry?
- Why NECO?
- What aspects of an optometrists do you think are most important?
- Do you plan on practicing in the US or Canada after finishing school?
- Where else have you applied?
- Out of the places you have applied, rank which order you would give each school.
- Anything you'd like to point out about your application that we should know about?

After the interview you go back to the room with everyone in it, hear about financing information, as well as a quick lunch with students at the school.

After lunch, everyone gets on shuttles and visit their new clinic - the clinic is pretty impressive since its new, all the tools are new and it is partially sponsored by Johnson+Johnson (which has a sister company that makes contact lenses), so they are heavily involved with financing the new clinic.

After that we returned to the campus and everyone went their seperate ways.

Things to remember once you get there:

If you're going by plane, DO NOT take a taxi to your hotel, if you end up paying >$25 to get from the airport to the New England/Back Bay area, your taxi driver has driven a long route to drive up your rate. I took a shuttle from the airport called "Easy Transportation", costed $15, and they dropped me off right at the door of my hotel. Their number is 6178697760, call before hand and have them ready to pick you up once you get to the airport, and call them a day before when you need a ride back from your hotel to the airport, its a good cheap alternative.

Also, Boston = walking city, make sure your shoes won't kill you if you walk more than 3 blocks.

The school itself is very welcoming, there are several different interviewers, so who you get interviewed by will be random, but it'll be a faculty member who will take you up to their office and do the interview there.

Hmm thats all I can think of for now, hope it helps out some of the applicants who are going for the next month or so of interviews they're doing.

Members don't see this ad.

That thread has been closed.

For all those interviewing at NECO, Boston is a walkable city. Comfortable shoes will get you far. I was there for 4 days and did sit in a taxi once. Just take the subway (totally easy to figure out) and walk to the school. I stayed out there in Chestnut Hill and took the T inbound to Hynes station and walked from there. It was my first time really using the subway and even I (a lifelong southern California commuter) got around without getting lost. All you need is a little tour map and you'll be fine. There aren't that many main streets and they're all close together).

I liked Boston and I enjoyed the whole day at NECO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Soupey!

You guys got to check out the clinic? How far from the school is it? I interviewed there in December and that wasn't part of our day unfortunately!

Its on the border between Brookline and Boston...on edge of BU's campus...across street from Agganis Arena, train goes right there. Very nice location! :)

is the clinic pretty far from the school? how do students get there?

the clinic is pretty far, but it is walkable, but probably better off catching a bus or something between the buildings. The college also works with lots of other off campus clinics too, the one we had a tour of just was their main new clinic.

You have to remember that if your going to NECO that you won't be living on campus anyways, so travelling between home and school or clinic will always require some form of transportation, not like some other schools with on-campus residences that would make an on-campus clinic much more ideal for students.

does anyone know when the admissions commitee is meeting next?

I was at the interview this past week and they mentioned that it would be a few weeks until we found out if we were accepted or not. After reading the posts I have understood that some people have heard as early as 3 days after their interview. Do you think that only a few people will hear that soon after and the rest will hear after all the interviews are complete? I mean is it only the stellar students who get a notice so soon after. Is there anyone who had an interview at NECO a few weeks back and still have not heard anything from them? Will they send you a letter regardless letting you know if you got in or not or will they wait until all the interviews are complete to let you know so they can complete their wait list?

^it likely depends when their committee meets, i emailed the person who interviewed me and she said they met the morning i sent the email, and she said i should be expecting good news - my interview was on a friday, they met the following wednesday morning, and i recieved the letter 2 days later on friday, the letter itself was dated thursday so it only took one day to go from boston to calgary...so expect to wait atleast 3 business days after they meet and make their decision.

good luck=)

so i interviewed recently and got a phone call saying that it would be another 2-3 weeks before a decision is made. anybody else get that call? I know i'm not one of the candidates that they just have to have right away who get the acceptances 3 days after the interview but does this mean that they are going to finish interviewing everyone and then decide if they want me? and if so are my chances kinda minimal?

also anybody have an update of the amount of spots left?

so i interviewed recently and got a phone call saying that it would be another 2-3 weeks before a decision is made. anybody else get that call? I know i'm not one of the candidates that they just have to have right away who get the acceptances 3 days after the interview but does this mean that they are going to finish interviewing everyone and then decide if they want me? and if so are my chances kinda minimal?

also anybody have an update of the amount of spots left?

Hello nkdeyes,

Well, I do not know how many spots they have left at NECO. However, I am pretty sure that with most schools the admissions committees meet every 2 to 3 weeks and they make their decisions at that time. Now if you happen to be one of the people who interviewed a day or two before the committee meets, then you will get your acceptance a few days after your interview (which would be great, by the way because waiting is frustrating!). So, do not think that you are "not one of the candidates that they just have to have". I don't think your chances are minimal, as long as they determine that your stats are good enough for admission and there are seats left. You just probably have to wait the full 2-3 weeks :oops: . Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the admissions thing, but that's how understand it works.

Good luck!!

Hello nkdeyes,

Well, I do not know how many spots they have left at NECO. However, I am pretty sure that with most schools the admissions committees meet every 2 to 3 weeks and they make their decisions at that time. Now if you happen to be one of the people who interviewed a day or two before the committee meets, then you will get your acceptance a few days after your interview (which would be great, by the way because waiting is frustrating!). So, do not think that you are "not one of the candidates that they just have to have". I don't think your chances are minimal, as long as they determine that your stats are good enough for admission and there are seats left. You just probably have to wait the full 2-3 weeks :oops: . Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the admissions thing, but that's how understand it works.

Good luck!!

The NECO committee meets every Wed.

If you messed up your interview, there is a good chance it is over. No matter how good your stats are.

If all went well, keep you fingers crossed and wait for a response for closure.

Browneyegirl: What are you stats ~ if you wish to share them.

hi there!
When I was at the interview they told me 2-3 weeks until I heard back from them. I then got a msg on my phone this past friday saying that it will be another 2-3weeks from friday. I hadn't even called them to ask them at all, they just phoned to leave me a msg. So I am not sure why they have done this.
My stats aren't all that great but I do have a lot of activites that would balance out everything. GPA 3.6
I just don't know why they would phone me to tell me that on friday when i didn't call to ask- it was a polite gesture though. Did anyone else get this call?
Also has anyone heard from them who has interviewd in April or even the very end of March? If anyone has heard from them can u post when u heard from them and when u interviewed if it was in the last 3 weeks.
Or if any of u have any advice pass it on my way;)
Thanks guys:)

hi there!
Also has anyone heard from them who has interviewd in April or even the very end of March? If anyone has heard from them can u post when u heard from them and when u interviewed if it was in the last 3 weeks.
Or if any of u have any advice pass it on my way;)
Thanks guys:)

interviewed april 2nd.. got my acceptance letter today. :)

Did anyone else who interviewed on april 2nd or that week get a response yet? I am still waiting.....:confused:

Did anyone else who interviewed on april 2nd or that week get a response yet? I am still waiting.....:confused:

Yes i am confused also. I also have not heard :( Why did they call me to say that the committe wont be meeting for another few weeks. They obviously have met ! I understand that I may not be one of the best candidates but why would you even bother to make a phone call to say that they will be meeting in 2- 3 weeks. I think they would have been better off just leaving it ! I am starting to have my doubts about this school now. :confused:
have you called them at all?

Yes i am confused also. I also have not heard :( Why did they call me to say that the committe wont be meeting for another few weeks. They obviously have met ! I understand that I may not be one of the best candidates but why would you even bother to make a phone call to say that they will be meeting in 2- 3 weeks. I think they would have been better off just leaving it ! I am starting to have my doubts about this school now. :confused:
have you called them at all?
Hi Brown Eye Girl,

Some students who have outstanding applications are put on what is called ''fast track''. A board member will accept these candidates without having the whole board convene. Most of the applicants will get reviewed by the board. The admissions office usually phones candidates if the board was not able to meet on their regular scheduled date. Because NECO uses a rolling application process I often tell students that if you hear something it is either a yes or a no. If you do not hear something it is generally a good thing because your file is still being reviewed at subsequent meetings. If you had any further questions please do not hesistate to contact me. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

T-H