After residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if, after the successful completion of a foreign medical school and residency and becoming board certified, being an FMG is an impediment to finding jobs as an attending?

Or does the successful completion of a residency and becoming board certified make someone equal to a US grad with the same background?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if, after the successful completion of a foreign medical school and residency and becoming board certified, being an FMG is an impediment to finding jobs as an attending?

Or does the successful completion of a residency and becoming board certified make someone equal to a US grad with the same background?

What school you are asking about?
Where did you completed your residency?
Where you were board certified?

I am asking because you are saying FMG.

If you will be attending Carribbean medical schools, for example, you will be considering as IMG not FMG. You will have your clinical rotations in US as well as your residency in US.
If you are planning on attending a medical school let say in UK or Russia, than you will be considering an FMG. You have to take and successfully pass all USMLE steps (i, 2 steps II and step III), find a residency in US and complete it. After that you will be as you saying board certified and can look for a job.
In both cases, hospital where you are doing clinical or residency might offer you a spot as an attending if they really like you.

What school you are asking about?
Where did you completed your residency?
Where you were board certified?

I am asking because you are saying FMG.

If you will be attending Carribbean medical schools, for example, you will be considering as IMG not FMG. You will have your clinical rotations in US as well as your residency in US.
If you are planning on attending a medical school let say in UK or Russia, than you will be considering an FMG. You have to take and successfully pass all USMLE steps (i, 2 steps II and step III), find a residency in US and complete it. After that you will be as you saying board certified and can look for a job.
In both cases, hospital where you are doing clinical or residency might offer you a spot as an attending if they really like you.
US citizen at foreign med school (any non US med - non accredited med school) carib,europe etc.. no difference= IMG
foreign national from a non US med school =FMG both have similar license reqs.
It wont make much difference once you have completed your residency and become board certified where you went to med school.Where you did your post grad training,and fellowship will count most.
There may be some prejudice against IMGs/FMGs at certain hospitals and practices but on the whole it wont affect your career opportunitis if you are otherwise qualified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant a US citizen who attends a Carribean school who successfully completes a US residcency.

So I guess I meant as an IMG