Dismissed from Carribean Medical School. Accepted into another Carribean medical school (not top 4). Chances of residency in primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caribmedstudent26

Reaction score
So as the title says I was dismissed from a carribean Medical School for not passing comp. I was accepted into another Carribean medical school (not top 4). What are my chances of matching into any residency in primary care?

Members don't see this ad.

0%

I’m sorry to be blunt, but this second school is trying to steal your money. Even if you manage to pass this time, which is not assured, you will not match simply because there are more than enough applicants who never had such a red flag on their application as to actually get dismissed. Please do not throw more money away in the Caribbean.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
So as the title says I was dismissed from a carribean Medical School for not passing comp. I was accepted into another Carribean medical school (not top 4). What are my chances of matching into any residency in primary care?
get a 270+ on 2ck and be willing to live in any state

Members don't see this ad :)
Over the years I have occasionally interviewed Caribbean MD grads who did not match, including a couple from schools outside the "top 4." These were applicants for various teaching positions, who were basically trying to find some way to make a living that didn't involve crime. I felt truly terrible for them. They seemed more like shells than people, burdened with crushing debt, few useful skills, and scant hope.

OP, you need to cut your losses ASAP and go back to the drawing board. Doing so can be extremely difficult, but it's an opportunity to reevaluate who you are and what you want out of life, and then find a better path forward.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
get a 270+ on 2ck and be willing to live in any state
that will not happen. The idea that someone is going to suddenly go from being dismissed to performing in the top 1% of all step 2 test takers is magical thinking.

OP your school actually did you a favor by cutting you loose now, several schools might instead let you “remediate” your failure multiple times and extract more money out of you before they failed you later and/or you find you can’t match. Take this opportunity to cut your losses

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If this story were true there is a small sliver of hope, especially in primary care. Having failed comp you would not have had the chance to take Step 2 yet, especially if you were just picked up by another program. I agree with the above as well going from not passing a standard test to being in the top 1% is unlikely. Having said that IF you do decide to continue training (which you likely shouldn’t) and do make those scores you stand a low but possible chance.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
If I have to be realist and just focus you as an Caribbean medical student, there is so many like you that transferred to an another school at 5th semester for various reasons (failed comp too many times, medical/personal reasons, couldn't finish basic sciences in 3 years)

I only know this from experience because I'm closing in 5th semester (finishing 3rd semester) at a "bottom of barrel" Caribbean medical school, and there are many transfers at 5th semester for many reasons (most than any other semesters), some examples from my experiences are transfers from MUA, SABA, Trinity, and All Saints (now called "Richmond Gabriel;" don't go to this school, may be another topic). But there are also students that transfer right after step one from my school, I believe one transferred to Ross.

I'm not encouraging or discouraging you to pursue your goals, but from my humble opinion, realistically you are not alone and still have a chance like those 5th semester transfers which is a bulk of those that matched from our school.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Can you enlighten us as to why you think you'll do better at a second school?

Reactions: 1 user
One of the advisors at my school said that this is a route former students have done and succeeded in, with many more that haven't succeeded I'm sure. That being said, it is heavily dependent on a first time step 1 pass rate and a decent step 2 score. What the other school is also would have a bearing on outcomes. The gap and transfer is also going to need to be well described in your applications (if you have any extenuating circumstances, etc.). It is also a lot easier to explain yourself if you voluntarily withdrew at this juncture rather than having them academically dismiss you.

You also need to do some introspection as to why you were unable to pass comp and if you could realistically pass that other schools' comp and step 1.

If a school is letting you transfer without having to do preclincials and go straight to the exams, I'd say it could be worth a shot. Worst case scenario you don't pass the exam and withdraw from there with minimal financial losses (application fees, test fees). I wouldn't recommend starting over or applying somewhere that requires you to pay for a semester or whatever though.

If you do transfer, pass step 1 and step 2, you'd have to cast a nationwide net of most primary care programs and at the minimum dual apply FM/IM to several hundred programs. If your end goal was matching to a competitive speciality or a certain geographic area then I'd say that ship has unfortunately sailed. Even doing all this won't guarantee a match but I do understand that just letting go of the dream might be too hard for you at this point in time so ultimately it's up to you.

If you apply I'd limit myself to the obvious choices of Ross, AUC, SGU as well as the outlier schools I normally tell people to not bother with first time around being AUA, MUA, and UMHS. I'd steer clear of Trinity, Xavier, and SJSM or others. You can call them up and see which ones would take your transfer without repeating semesters and ones that won't require payment of tuition before starting clinicals.

The advisor also said that Western Atlantic, while a new school, was formed by many former Ross faculty and seems to be on a good track, take it with a massive grain of salt though.

Goodluck.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I am very sorry for the OP's situation, what is a comp? Is that like an internal compueterized school pre-test for the USMLE exam?

I am very sorry for the OP's situation, what is a comp? Is that like an internal compueterized school pre-test for the USMLE exam?
You basically have the general idea of it. COMP is a practice/mock exam for the USMLE Step exams. There's one for Step 1 and Step 2. From what I heard, the questions on the COMP exam are retired USMLE questions. Students need to pass COMP with a certain score in order to be able to sit for the Step exams. The percentage needed varies from school to school.

The worst part of it all is that the non Big 3 tend to require a high percentage to pass COMP. Some I heard required 70% which is insane. This is why you do not go to the Caribbean, let alone a non-big 3 school.

One of the advisors at my school said that this is a route former students have done and succeeded in, with many more that haven't succeeded I'm sure. That being said, it is heavily dependent on a first time step 1 pass rate and a decent step 2 score. What the other school is also would have a bearing on outcomes. The gap and transfer is also going to need to be well described in your applications (if you have any extenuating circumstances, etc.). It is also a lot easier to explain yourself if you voluntarily withdrew at this juncture rather than having them academically dismiss you.

You also need to do some introspection as to why you were unable to pass comp and if you could realistically pass that other schools' comp and step 1.

If a school is letting you transfer without having to do preclincials and go straight to the exams, I'd say it could be worth a shot. Worst case scenario you don't pass the exam and withdraw from there with minimal financial losses (application fees, test fees). I wouldn't recommend starting over or applying somewhere that requires you to pay for a semester or whatever though.

If you do transfer, pass step 1 and step 2, you'd have to cast a nationwide net of most primary care programs and at the minimum dual apply FM/IM to several hundred programs. If your end goal was matching to a competitive speciality or a certain geographic area then I'd say that ship has unfortunately sailed. Even doing all this won't guarantee a match but I do understand that just letting go of the dream might be too hard for you at this point in time so ultimately it's up to you.

If you apply I'd limit myself to the obvious choices of Ross, AUC, SGU as well as the outlier schools I normally tell people to not bother with first time around being AUA, MUA, and UMHS. I'd steer clear of Trinity, Xavier, and SJSM or others. You can call them up and see which ones would take your transfer without repeating semesters and ones that won't require payment of tuition before starting clinicals.

The advisor also said that Western Atlantic, while a new school, was formed by many former Ross faculty and seems to be on a good track, take it with a massive grain of salt though.

Goodluck.
Maybe it would be good to repeat the first two years for more thorough knowledge

There are Carib grads with no dismissals or Step failures who don’t match. Recovering from this approaches impossibility, and the debt you’d incur would be life-ruining. Please don’t do it. Not being a doctor isn’t the end of the world. Six figures of debt with no way to pay it off kind of is.

• Love
A similar situation happened to friends of mine, 3 in particular, and their path was tumultuous and long (started intern year 2 years after me), but they ended up getting into residency eventually (one of them got it close to his hometown, I believe he knew someone? and the other was in bumble**** florida and the other started residency this year), but as it's been stated, your aim should something in primary care. I haven't seen any of them match into a specialty that wasn't family medicine or pediatrics.

Goodluck.
Western Atlantic University School of Medicine is not accredited and can not take step 1. The students there have a 98% failing rate for semester 5. They have been dismissed from the program. It is not on a good track as a current student there I can attest to that.