After SMP do I need to retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackfibi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to go to a medical school other than the school offerring the SMP, a UC for example, do I need to retake the MCAT's - my score is a 26 - in order to be a competitive applicant? Does anyone now how this process works? Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a score below a 30 I highly suggest you retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
jackfibi said:
If I wanted to go to a medical school other than the school offerring the SMP, a UC for example, do I need to retake the MCAT's - my score is a 26 - in order to be a competitive applicant? Does anyone now how this process works? Please let me know.

Wow! I just read my post and I cannot believe that I phrased my question that way... Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was - after I have completed the SMP program (georgetown for example), instead of going to georgetown medical school, do I need to retake the MCAT to go to another medical school or is there some special application SMPer's fill out? Hope that my question is clear now, sorry for the first one.

jackfibi said:
Wow! I just read my post and I cannot believe that I phrased my question that way... Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was - after I have completed the SMP program (georgetown for example), instead of going to georgetown medical school, do I need to retake the MCAT to go to another medical school or is there some special application SMPer's fill out? Hope that my question is clear now, sorry for the first one.

Special application? No. You just put that you are in (or have already completed) Georgetown's SMP under the "Academic Record" section on the AMCAS.

The other thing you should know is that it is recommended you apply to medical schools (including Georgetown) while you are a current student in the SMP. So for you as a member of next year's class (2007), you would apply in June of 2006. The SMP website lists the courses that SMP students take on their website, so just enter those and mark "current/future" on AMCAS. In addition, say that a transcript is not required from Georgetown on AMCAS, because otherwise schools will be waiting for your grades, which won't be ready until after you're done.

With a 26, you should retake the MCAT in any case, and if you're not taking it tomorrow, then retake it in April. In fact, Georgetown's SMP technically requires an MCAT of 27+, but that is not a hard cutoff.

You say you want to go to a UC. Well yes, that would be ideal for us Californians wouldn't it? But only a handful of people get into a UC each year from the SMP (to UCD, UCSD and UCI). There are several other schools, however, such as NYMC, SLU, Creighton and some others that take quite a few SMP students each year. In addition, don't think it's easy to get into Georgetown med once you're here, you have to earn it. Last year, 33 out of 159 SMP students were accepted, but that was higher than average. I think 29 are attending. I remember one of the "ex-physios" that are Georgetown med students now saying that she got into a medical school (I believe it was Rush), but decided to come to the SMP instead. I thought that was nuts. I would have so taken the med school acceptance and ran. I'm kind of rambling now, aren't I? Oh well.

tacrum43 said:
Special application? No. You just put that you are in (or have already completed) Georgetown's SMP under the "Academic Record" section on the AMCAS.

The other thing you should know is that it is recommended you apply to medical schools (including Georgetown) while you are a current student in the SMP. So for you as a member of next year's class (2007), you would apply in June of 2006. The SMP website lists the courses that SMP students take on their website, so just enter those and mark "current/future" on AMCAS. In addition, say that a transcript is not required from Georgetown on AMCAS, because otherwise schools will be waiting for your grades, which won't be ready until after you're done.

With a 26, you should retake the MCAT in any case, and if you're not taking it tomorrow, then retake it in April. In fact, Georgetown's SMP technically requires an MCAT of 27+, but that is not a hard cutoff.

You say you want to go to a UC. Well yes, that would be ideal for us Californians wouldn't it? But only a handful of people get into a UC each year from the SMP (to UCD, UCSD and UCI). There are several other schools, however, such as NYMC, SLU, Creighton and some others that take quite a few SMP students each year. In addition, don't think it's easy to get into Georgetown med once you're here, you have to earn it. Last year, 33 out of 159 SMP students were accepted, but that was higher than average. I think 29 are attending. I remember one of the "ex-physios" that are Georgetown med students now saying that she got into a medical school (I believe it was Rush), but decided to come to the SMP instead. I thought that was nuts. I would have so taken the med school acceptance and ran. I'm kind of rambling now, aren't I? Oh well.

Ramble all you want tac. Thanks for your help