Should I apply to medical school during SMP?

Started by Luckydawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Luckydawg

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently on three waitlists (two MD, one DO) and preparing for my second re-application cycle. I have strong clinical experience as an EMT and MA but lack research experience. My MCAT score is 511, while my GPA is lower (cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.33). I've been accepted to the SMP pharmacology program at Tulane and wonder if I should apply during this program or wait. The SMP program itself is 1 year and 32 credit hours. This cycle, I plan to focus on DO schools, with a few MD applications (I can now apply to more DO schools after obtaining a physician LOR). My MCAT was taken in 2022 and will expire at most schools if I apply after this upcoming cycle, so I'm hesitant to retake it unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?