After Undergrad Degree with less than 3.00 cumplative GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wayfarer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2007 with less than a 3.00 GPA (math learning disability and statistics do not mix well) I have a BA in Psychology with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience. After over a year with no job, I am working at Target for less than preferred pay. I am considering going on to a certificate program at Hamline to boost my GPA and this will hopefully make me a more attractive candidate for graduate school. However if I take this route, I will have to take a leave of absence from Target with no guarantee that my job will still be there. As much as I loathe the job, I need the money. What advice would you have for this situation? Should I just go on for the certificate and then Master's program? Or stick it out with the job a while longer and try to take classes around the work schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

That's kind of a personal decision but with such a week GPA, your prospects for an MA aren't going to be great, unfortunately -- esp. since stats is such a critical part of psychology (hence your math disability being the cause of a low GPA probably wouldn't be seen in a positive or mitigating light). With your BA, might you be able to work toward management at Target and pursue your certificate part-time. With the way the economy and job market are right now, I'd hate for you to end up w/o a job when you're done.
What is your end goal? You mention getting an MA, but what would the MA be in?

My original end goal was to work with ASD kids. I am getting more experience with a paraprofessional position. I was honestly thinking an education masters, as I would get to both work with special ed kids and would not need the GRE for entrance to the program. I can make myself more available for my paraprofessional job, however it is not constant, so I would not work 5 days a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered one of the many teaching fellow programs? Basically you agree to teach for 2 years in usually poor, disadvantaged areas while you get your masters in education. Since you want to work with children, this might be a good option and you still have a chance with your low GPA.

The other option I can think of is taking addition Stats classes at a community college or other local schools that allow it. You could still keep your job and learn necessary skills needed for psychology grad school. Plus community college classes are usually dirt cheap and even free in some areas.

I'd go straight for the MA. You can get in to MA programs with a sub 3.0 GPA. What are your strengths? Any research or applied experience? My UG GPA was sub 3.0 and I was accepted conditionally to my MA program. Currently, I have a 3.9 GPA and just received the outstanding clinical psychology grad student award from the faculty.:shrug:

First, I'd like to acknowledge your sense of perseverance. I think it's great that you're making plans and goals rather than stay in a place you loathe. Myelin asked for your strengths, I think perseverance could be one! :)

Now somethings to think about...

While many MA programs may take students with GPAs sub 3.0, the threshold seems to be at about 2.7. If you look at APA's Grad Study, a lot of master's programs has that as their required minimum GPAs. If your GPA is below 2.7 I would check out Grad Study or the school's websites to find out what their minimum is. (You check buy an online subscription to grad study here. It costs $20 for 3 months access. A lot of university libraries have a hard copy too.) That being said, you can at least marginally off set a low GPA with strengths in other areas. A high GRE score, a brilliant personal statement, and glowing letters of recommendations. Another plus is you still have a degree of control over these factors even out of school.

Furthermore, many schools will give out conditional acceptances. I graduated with less than a 3.0. When I applied to MSW programs in Texas, I was conditionally accepted at some schools and fully accepted at others (I ended up going to a school that conditionally accepted me).

I would focus more on finding a MA program that doesn't a required minimum GPA and researching financial aid opportunities. You could take time to try and boost your overall GPA, but honestly, after 4 years of grades it will be difficult to raise it significantly.

Hoping for the best,
Bright

Ditto what the others have said on your strong will!!! Keep up that good attitude and you'll meet your goals for sure.

Some things to consider...

- certificate programs are NOT generally covered by any financial aid, including loans/grants/scholarships so that program would be entirely out of pocket

- student loan funding for a master's degree minus tuition would probably still be more than you make at Target

- as the others said, lots of MA programs will tkae you with that gpa, choose well, your attitude is right and that will show... you still have some choice here... don't accept hte first acceptance unless it's absolutely a good fit

- as someone else said, there are jobs you can get with a BA psych that would take you in your direction -- not that retail is bad... but if it's not on the path, why do it? in my state, with a ba social services and no experience, you will make 12-20/hr working in mental health... 12 for inpatient positions (psych techs on units or gruop home staff) and 15-20 for community mental health (here, they are called associate professionals)... after 2 years of that work, with only a bachelors, people here make 20-25/hr as qualified professionals

- you could easily do the above stated work while earning your masters and collecting student loans, thereby tremendously surpassing your Target salary and gaining academic and professional experience toward your goals

you are gonna rock this... stick with it, ok?