After your first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7 Iron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of my first year of dental school. It's been a ton of work and I feel like I have learned a lot in terms of basic sciences and hand skills. But it seems like the more I learn, the more there IS to learn. Even though I feel like I've learned a lot, I feel like I haven't learned anything at the same time.

How did you feel after your first year? Can I really learn everything else I need within the next year before I see patients? It seems daunting!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All I want now is sleep. Nothing else matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nearing the end of my first year of dental school. It's been a ton of work and I feel like I have learned a lot in terms of basic sciences and hand skills. But it seems like the more I learn, the more there IS to learn. Even though I feel like I've learned a lot, I feel like I haven't learned anything at the same time.

How did you feel after your first year? Can I really learn everything else I need within the next year before I see patients? It seems daunting!

dont worry, you'll feel like that your whole way through dental school. you'll get to clinic and all the "ideal" crap they teach you pretty much goes out the window. however, remember your basics and dont be afraid to ask questions. im going into my senior year and i still feel like i have ton to learn bf they kick me out of this place! but, i also feel i learn just a little bit more everytime i'm in clinic. you'll be surprised how much you actually DO know when your about half way into junior clinic. stick with it.

how r u my friends >>>>

this is my first visit to this forum ... and really i enjoy with it .....

last week i finish the first year .... and because iam from libya i still in first year about 2 and half years due to revolution in my country ....

my english is weak i hope u can understand me and help me in some things i think i will want you for it ...

good buy see you ...

libyan senmar​

haha,

You'll feel like that when you graduate, when you get your first job, when you get your second job, when you buy in to a practice, when you become a sole owner....

There is always more to learn on the horizon, new advances and new technology to learn about and decide if it works for you and for your patients...it's almost never ending.

I'm sure there are some 30+ year practitioners out there who have it figured out, but I'm sure there are also many who would say they still feel there is a lot to learn.