Age in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viroboy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 35 year old PhD virologist who is considering applying to dental school. I have completed all the prereqs (years ago)but still need to take the DAT. Does anyone have any idea how admissions committees view someone like me? Do any of you have current classmates in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

hey Viroboy
I had a freind who was had a PhD in Biochemistry, but I am not sure about his age, I think maybe 30, Dental School have varying requirments, I think as a qualified person, you should not have a problem, the only thing they might ask, why did you chose Dentistry, after all those years, and also you said you are a virologist,so techanically you can teach in Dental School,
so I assume, you should not have a problem

Khalid

Yazoal2K,

Thanks for your reply. Are you a dental student? If so, where are you, and how do you like it so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am a Freshman at Tufts

For what it's worth, I recently spoke with the admissions office at my state school and they told me that my age (40) would not be a factor in my admissions decision. I am considering both Dental School and (probably foreign)Medical School at this point. I shadowed my Dentist for a couple of days and found his work to be fascinating. He definitely enjoys his profession and seems quite satisified with his choice. He told me that there were at least three men in his class at MCV who were in their 30's or 40's (sorry, he didn't mention women) when he was there in the late 80's.

Oddly enough, the two things he and his partner emphasized about Dentistry (and admission to Dental School) were people skills and manual dexterity. Manual dexterity could be exhibited by a number of things, but my Dentist enjoys playing jazz piano. His partner is a fisherman and a Porsche enthusiast who works on cars and his fishing tackle. Both their people skills were evident in the comfortable atmosphere of their office.

I know my remarks are a bit off the beaten path, but these two guys seem remarkably content in Dentistry. I think that's worth mentioning.

Best of Luck!

nextup,

Thanks for your comments. It is great to hear of older people being successful in dental school and in dental practice. I shadowed a local dentist and also found it to be fascinating. I enjoy talking to different people, in fact that's one thing I don't get in research science. How are you preparing for the DAT? I have ordered that Top Pro software.

Thanks again!