Age Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the age limit is for military HPSP or active duty in the dental corps in any branch? I am 43 currently, and I was thinking about doing HPSP, but I think I might be too old. The Navy website says the age limit is up to 62, but I called a recruiter, and he told me it was 42 with possible waivers. Do I have any options in the military?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the age limit is for military HPSP or active duty in the dental corps in any branch? I am 43 currently, and I was thinking about doing HPSP, but I think I might be too old. The Navy website says the age limit is up to 62, but I called a recruiter, and he told me it was 42 with possible waivers. Do I have any options in the military?

Age limit is 42 as it allows you to complete 20 yrs of active commisioned service by age 62. Even if you do not plan to retire from the military, still age limit is 42 (with possible waiwers).

OPNAVINST 1120.5
"Officers who cannot complete 20 years of commissioned service by the age of
62 may be accessed contingent upon an approved waiver from the​
Secretary of Defense (SECDEF)."

Last edited:

My office processes waivers on dentists into their 50's. I am not sure if there are any age restrictions for HPSP, but as for coming on active duty, as long as your health was good you could come on and qualify for sign on bonuses and/or loan repayment.

Army recruiter would be your best source about waivers for HPSP. Realize though as mentioned before if you come in after 42 on active duty (post dental school) you will not be able to receive the military retirement. There are still other benefits you can receive though.