Age limits for qualifying for military scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby Fischer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard the max age is 40.

I am planning on being accepted for the class of 2017 at a d school and when I graduate I will be a few months short of my 40th birthday.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm waiting to get an acceptance letter in hand before I keep talking with any of the health scholarship recruiter people.

I'm thinking AF.

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that the max is 38 entering school (graduating at 42), but they can waive the age requirement (which you wouldn't need if those ages are correct). Best bet is to talk to a recruiter. Congratulations on your decision, by the way, I am a little older than you and also applying this year. Good luck!

In my opinion the best option to find the answer is to go to the source of the policy.

For the AF the commissioning instruction is AFI 36-2005.

Table 2.1 shows age restrictions for commissioning. You will commission as an 03 after graduation from HPSP, and that is likely where the 40 year age you have heard comes from.

That being said as cwoodds stated waivers/exceptions are possible and mentioned in this instruction.