age of prerequisites

Started by gone2dogs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gone2dogs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[I'm really sorry if there is on old thread on this... I couldn't find it!]

I was wondering if any of you (especially non-trads) had some info on which schools are flexible with the "oldness" of prerequisites? Most of mine are more than 10 years old, although biochem, genetics, and statistics will be new. I may also take microbiology since some schools require that too...

What I have figured out so far:

  • CSU is flexible, especially if you have taken a few classes more recently or work in the field (both are true for me).
  • Initially I thought I would have to cross off KSU because they have a 6 year time limit on what sounded like all courses, but an e-mail to admissions revealed that they are flexible. They also said my years as a teacher could count for public speaking (I was not thrilled about taking that!), for what that's worth.
I haven't fully developed my list of schools of interest (I am only applying to CSU [IS] this year... but expect to go for round 2 next year with an expanded list), but would be curious to know which schools are willing to work with non-traditional students a little more. Maybe they all do if I take the time to contact them? I have just been a little intimidated by some of the websites!

Thanks!
 
i think tufts has no time limit for pre requisites. i have always been coached that they like nontraditional applicants - i got onto their waitlist with decent stats and a narrow range of quality vet experiene. plus, the application is due one month later - you can do it after vmcas. i did not start any app. stuff until sept. 4th last year.

good luck.