Age of psych grad students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has this become a younger vs older which one is better kind of argument?

Well I did speak to a lady once who pointed out to me there are things in research that you are unlikely to learn as an undergrad. For example, IRB, grant submission, recruitment. The employees in the lab tend to do all that and the undergrads usually focus on the actual 'research' part of it. Just look at job descriptions and stuff and you'll know what I mean. But yes, the lady said to me she had worked for 10 years before applying to graduate school and observed that there were PhDs who had never worked in their life and had no clue how to run a research project (not the RESEARCH part of it, but the administrative and annoying nitty gritty things that you won't have the opportunity to encounter in your education).

Straight out of undergrad you can get into graduate school, but the question is how high you want to shoot. I know I can get into SOME school with what I have right now (honors thesis, 3 years RA experience, 4 labs, couple manuscripts in prep), I just simply want to shoot higher. I mean why not? In 10 - 20 years looking back I wont be upset about wasting 2-3 years as an RA but i would be upset about going to a school that I'm "eh" with.

And no, age does not necessarily affect maturity or your certainty of what you want to do. Younger kids can be mature too and younger kids can be sure of what they want to do too. The difference is simply in life experience. Just like how I handle things now are different from how I handled things as a college Junior. Its not just about credentials but also other things that contribute to u as a person like social skills, self presentation. For example, at one interview one of the interviewees took her shoes off in front of the professor and I was like o_O ... and of course I'm not saying only younger ppl do dumb things but comparatively young you vs older you, the older you will always be more mature and more experience and more certain of what you want to do.

At least that my reasoning. I don't think schools prefer mature applicants, I simply see it as schools prefer a better and improved version of the same stellar applicant. I mean why not get stellar AND mature at the same time if you can?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For example, at one interview one of the interviewees took her shoes off in front of the professor and I was like o_O

If the professor has a foot fetish it may have played out in the applicants favor!

0_61_320_SexyFeet.jpg

Unless of course they looked like this...

hobbitfeet.jpg

Assuming the professor doesn't prefer the hobbit feet in the second picture of course...

Well I did speak to a lady once who pointed out to me there are things in research that you are unlikely to learn as an undergrad. For example, IRB, grant submission, recruitment. The employees in the lab tend to do all that and the undergrads usually focus on the actual 'research' part of it. Just look at job descriptions and stuff and you'll know what I mean.

I hate this argument. The whole, undergrad research experience is not as good as "real world" experience. I've gone through the IRB process (i'm on my school's irb board actually), i've helped write grants, i've recruited participants, i've done pretty much anything a full time RA would do without having to take time off to do it. I'm lucky to go to a good school where I get good training but I've also sought out a lot of great summer internships that give me skills comparable to "older" applicant. Yes, there are a lot of undergrads who should take time off before grad school (for example, i was at the NCUR conference recently and wow, some students looked like they never presented anything before in their life) but for the students who really want a PhD and are serious about it will obtain the necessary skills to succeed.

Straight out of undergrad you can get into graduate school, but the question is how high you want to shoot. I know I can get into SOME school with what I have right now (honors thesis, 3 years RA experience, 4 labs, couple manuscripts in prep), I just simply want to shoot higher. I mean why not? In 10 - 20 years looking back I wont be upset about wasting 2-3 years as an RA but i would be upset about going to a school that I'm "eh" with.

Obviously, no one wants to go to a school they are unhappy about but I don't think its worth working as an RA for 2-3 years for a CHANCE you get accepted into a slightly more prestigious school. Graduate school rankings mean so little as it is.

If you couldn't tell I was accepted into a PhD program strait out of undergrad so I'm biased but I really think some of these "take time off" arguments are lame.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate this argument. The whole, undergrad research experience is not as good as "real world" experience. I've gone through the IRB process (i'm on my school's irb board actually), i've helped write grants, i've recruited participants, i've done pretty much anything a full time RA would do without having to take time off to do it. I'm lucky to go to a good school where I get good training but I've also sought out a lot of great summer internships that give me skills comparable to "older" applicant. Yes, there are a lot of undergrads who should take time off before grad school (for example, i was at the NCUR conference recently and wow, some students looked like they never presented anything before in their life) but for the students who really want a PhD and are serious about it will obtain the necessary skills to succeed.

Obviously, no one wants to go to a school they are unhappy about but I don't think its worth working as an RA for 2-3 years for a CHANCE you get accepted into a slightly more prestigious school. Graduate school rankings mean so little as it is.

If you couldn't tell I was accepted into a PhD program strait out of undergrad so I'm biased but I really think some of these "take time off" arguments are lame.

I agree with the spirit of this post, particularly the latter part. I applied this year straight out of undergrad and received several acceptance offers. Though I agree that rankings don't matter, I'll note that some of those were to programs ranked in the top 25. I don't say that to brag at all but simply to make the point that applying straight out of undergrad doesn't mean you have to settle for a mediocre program. My experience may not be the norm, but let's not act as though this kind of thing never happens.

I dont think anyone said it never happens as it did with you.

For some, a bit off is great (hell, I wouldnt be pursuing grad education without time off, as I had no idea what I wanted to do.)

The point was (to me anyways) is that if you are an undergrade with great stats you will be even more appealing and ready to manage a phD after a few years of real world work, at least for most. It doesnt seem like others think it is bad to go straight through, but that it can be better to wait for a bit.

I know that if I did not have my family, current job, or current living situation (happy and content mostly) Id have a much easier time with a PhD, so theres that side of it. On the other hand I am pretty stinkin happy with my life (which is what it is solely due to my indecision after getting my BA) and wouldnt change any of my decisions either.

I dont think anyone said it never happens as it did with you.

For some, a bit off is great (hell, I wouldnt be pursuing grad education without time off, as I had no idea what I wanted to do.)

The point was (to me anyways) is that if you are an undergrade with great stats you will be even more appealing and ready to manage a phD after a few years of real world work, at least for most. It doesnt seem like others think it is bad to go straight through, but that it can be better to wait for a bit.

I know that if I did not have my family, current job, or current living situation (happy and content mostly) Id have a much easier time with a PhD, so theres that side of it. On the other hand I am pretty stinkin happy with my life (which is what it is solely due to my indecision after getting my BA) and wouldnt change any of my decisions either.

Thanks for this response. I can completely understand and respect the points you make here. It just seems that people on this forum frequently present a less balanced view than what you just presented. I think there are so many individual factors at play that broad generalizations just don't work. I'm glad things have worked out so nicely for you; hopefully I'll have a positive experience too! :)

I personally don't think that its necessary to get fired up either side of the argument you are on. I personally cannot care less who does what. People are free to express their opinions and ideas. And yes, time off does make a difference for some, not for all. However I personally think its silly for people to comment that taking time off is useless when they personally haven't tried it. Its just like people who say GRE courses are useless without having ever taken one.

Thanks to savagebee for clarifying, yes theres no point comparing a young applicant with a different older applicant. I was merely pointing out (although it is common sense) the same young stellar applicant would simply be an even better applicant 2-3 years later and that taking time off will only benefit. I never said undergrad experience is inferior to real life experience. I was more so saying that one person with awesome undergrad + awesome real life experience would have more experience than just having one. Then it becomes a GIANT pile of awesomeness.

Not all people work because they feel like their credentials weren't sufficient. Everyone is different in their strengths and weaknesses. IRB and grant submission are merely a couple examples of things that many undergrads (NOT ALL) don't get a chance to do. If you got the opportunity, then good for you. I personally was lacking there but instead I lead clinical trial interventions, designed the methods for a couple studies, and wrote + got authorship on a couple manuscripts currently in submission. I wasn't saying that undergrad experience is inferior, but more that they can give you very DIFFERENT experiences. I know full time RAs who got experience in IRB and Grant stuff but the PI didn't fancy helping them publish but had already gotten some pubs through undergrad experience (I also know RAs who dont do IRB and Grants but get plenty of opportunity publishing)

I mean you'd probably agree that anyone who says they have the perfect experience to cover EVERYTHING in research straight out of undergrad is probably in denial. I was merely pointing out that there can be holes in your education and sometimes those holes can still be holes graduate school. And in that professor's anecdote, it happened to be what she called the "nitty gritty" stuff. Never said that those people with those holes didn't work a couple years. They could've worked and still never learned how to do certain things. I apologize if you assumed that I was saying that grad students straight out of undergrad won't succeed.

However it does bother me a little when people imply that taking time off is only for people who didn't use their time effectively in college to gain experience. If you tried job hunting, you'll realize that currently RA positions are as competitive as getting into graduate school we're talking about 80+ applicants for 1 position and your not just competing with recent college graduates but older and more experienced applicants too with Masters or 4+ years of working experience. People who just waste their time chilling around in college will be struggling to even get a job interview. So no, not all people prefer to work just because they didn't get in. I was personally on the fence about applying immediately because I simply wanted to be a better applicant and give it a full and solid shot.

However I do agree that applying straight out of graduate school does not mean you need to settle. Some people get their first choice out of college. And I don't think the age of the student affects the quality of the student. However I do believe that making yourself a better and stronger applicant reduces that likeliness of having to settle. All I think is it will never hurt to make urself better than u already are. And I personally will regret settling before gaining more experience because if I worked a couple years at least I tried before I settled. And by settling I'm not going by ranking, its by my personal preference for schools - location is important to me, I would prefer not to be like 6 or more (flying) hours away from home and my significant other, but if circumstances mean I must be that far then I'd have to settle.

Honestly the whole discussion would be much more pleasant if people just accept that neither is better than the other. Its just a matter of personal preference. And theres no point comparing who is better than who, its really just whats better for you.

If someone is planning to argue that I'm biased against younger applicants - I just turned 22.

If the professor has a foot fetish it may have played out in the applicants favor!

0_61_320_SexyFeet.jpg

Unless of course they looked like this...

hobbitfeet.jpg

Assuming the professor doesn't prefer the hobbit feet in the second picture of course...

I like your sense of humor =)

Last edited:
Thanks to savagebee for clarifying, yes theres no point comparing a young applicant with a different older applicant. I was merely pointing out (although it is common sense) the same young stellar applicant would simply be an even better applicant 2-3 years later and that taking time off will only benefit. I never said undergrad experience is inferior to real life experience. I was more so saying that one person with awesome undergrad + awesome real life experience would have more experience than just having one. Then it becomes a GIANT pile of awesomeness.

I agree that gaining extra experience could never hurt, but the benefit of doing so will vary between individuals. It has some to do with available experiences at their UG, but also with their careeer goals. For instance, if you KNOW you want a academic career doing a specific type of research in an area that is competitive, it would make a lot of sense to take time to do RA work and make yourself the strongest applicant for a program/POI in that area. If you are seeking a clinical career or are less married to a specific path, it would make sense to just get on with it. There are myriad reasons why certain people (myself included) do not want to add a lot of time to an already long, extensive training process. In the end, I am right with you. There are no definite rights and wrongs.

I agree that gaining extra experience could never hurt, but the benefit of doing so will vary between individuals. It has some to do with available experiences at their UG, but also with their careeer goals. For instance, if you KNOW you want a academic career doing a specific type of research in an area that is competitive, it would make a lot of sense to take time to do RA work and make yourself the strongest applicant for a program/POI in that area. If you are seeking a clinical career or are less married to a specific path, it would make sense to just get on with it. There are myriad reasons why certain people (myself included) do not want to add a lot of time to an already long, extensive training process. In the end, I am right with you. There are no definite rights and wrongs.

Precisely. I've already decided exactly what area I of research I want to be. Not just a general specialty but I know exactly what kind of projects I want to do and which schools are my dream schools. I'm looking for a full time RA position specifically in my area of interest. And I do agree that most people wouldn't want to take time off if they can avoid it. I simply happen to be in the minority since I'm not concerned about the time it takes for me to get somewhere. 2-3 years is a small number if you consider how long life is. And theres no extra brownie points for the person who gets there the fastest. Neither is the person who starts the latest any better off.

I personally rushed through college by cramming labs, volunteer work, and classes into 3 years and ready to graduate as a decently competitive junior. Till I realized a 4th year might actually do me good - it did. One of my PIs let me play around with the data I collected for her the previous year and I wrote up a draft for the manuscript.

And this forum is excessively distracting...

Okay, so I've been lurking and holding my tongue for most of this thread, but I feel compelled to make a point here.

When I graduated from college I thought I wanted to be a lawyer. I went straight into law school, studied hard, then got a job with a large firm and later a Fortune 500 corporation. All was well -- except it wasn't.

It dawned on me gradually that I was more interested in understanding the root causes behind my clients' disputes than in determining if they had a legal claim to sue or were legally protected against same. People just fascinated me, and I found that the part of my job I liked best was counseling. Add in some other life experiences, including three children, and I decided to become a psychologist. The rest is history.

There's no way I'd personally have been ready to be a psychologist straight out of college. I realize that's me, not everyone else. I obviously lack some of the traditional preparation that my peers had when applying to graduate school. Still, I think I've made a valuable contribution to my cohort, in my clinical settings with peers, and with clients. I'm so much more self-aware now than I was at 25. Maybe I was a late bloomer, but it worked out for me.

My point is that one size doesn't fit all, and diversity in doctoral programs and work settings is valuable. I think we should embrace our different experiences. Isn't that what psychologists are supposed to do?

My point is that one size doesn't fit all, and diversity in doctoral programs and work settings is valuable. I think we should embrace our different experiences. Isn't that what psychologists are supposed to do?
So very well stated!

Having worked in high stress situations with people of all ages and experience levels, age really does not matter so much as the person and how well they know themselves, or their willingness to be open to new experiences. I've seen well-trained people in their 40's panic in tough situations while a 20 year old keeps calm and handles a crisis with ease and maturity. And vice versa.

We are all going from A to B. Some of us take the scenic route, but we will eventually get there.

Most of us with our sanity in tact :D

I think grad programs emphasizing research especially skew younger; PsyD and more practice-oriented PhD programs tend to get more older students with greater life experience.

I can't speak for others, but I went into psychology in my 40s, which of course is quite old:D. Oddly, I think it worked out perfectly because I have so many other experiences "beyond the bubble" of academia. This has helped me immensely in understanding and relating to patients and colleagues.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having some of those years back so I'd have more years to reach my potential (financial and otherwise) as a psychologist.

I must say, I'm really glad you posted this @psychmama. This one post is the reason I joined this forum network a few days ago. I'm 35 and my goal is to be in clinical psych school by age 38. I've been catching a lot of crap from my father-in-law about it; for my age, how he thinks psychology doesn't pay, and why I want to go to a grad school that takes five years to complete..etc...I'm still going to pursue it anyways. I'd rather be educated and old rather than sweeping floors for someone nearly half my age at minimum wage. It's not like I'm a draftee for the NFL here...LOL

When I was applying 6 years ago there was a great deal of variability from program to program and even within my program it seems to vary a great deal among professors. Some definitely seem to have preferences. Within my lab most had some experience between undergrad and grad school although during my time there my adviser took a couple of folks right out of undergrad. One was fabulous; the other had problems with basic life management that, while she managed through them, made the adjustment a little more difficult and did at times detract from her ability to contribute. But the same could be said for one of the older folks too, so... the answer to everything is 1) it depends and 2) where's the data ;) With regard to noted trends though, I think it still varies significantly from person to person and depending on the program.

Wow, funny seeing this thread so many years later, and myself now in an APA internship with dissertation defended. Time really does fly!

FYI, I'm in my 40s now! :(

Reactions: 1 users