Age waiver for the HPSP program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to use the HPSP to attend medical school but I'm having trouble finding out from recruiters if I would be eligible for a waiver due to my age. I would be 37 when applying for the HPSP and 38 when I started school. I am prior service and have been told by one recruiter that they may deduct my active duty time from my age. Anyone have any input on this?

Also I've read in some of the threads that HPSP students usually end up taking out extra loans. What would be an approximate amount above the stipend that I should expect to need (I'm looking mainly at the central states schools). Thanks.

Fab

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I can't answer the second part of your question re: loans on top of the HPSP. Apparently, some medical schools have rules in place that limit the total amount of federal support you can receive per year and count your scholarship and stipend towards that amount. Back in the day when I was in school, I lived in a high-cost area and was still able to maximize my federal subsidized Stafford loans at $8500/year. Don't know if you can do that anymore.

As for getting an age waiver, there was another student in my HPOIC (now known at COT) class who was 37 or 38 (maybe even older!) who was on an HPSP. Actually, there was another dude who got an age waiver as well. Don't know how that affects your active duty time but since it is only a 4-year committment after your intern year, you will be way younger than 60 before you can get out. If you are prior service, then you might even be able to retire before 60. Definitely look into it.

A word about Health Professions recruiting - I've helped out in the RAP program before so I know a little about this. All recruiters have their goals, so if they have enough folks intestested in HPSP who are good candidates, they don't really care to go above their numbers. Rather, they would rather get a fully-trained physician (i.e. family doc) or dentist, etc. Their goal numbers are pretty low, and once they reach them, they kind of go on autopilot. So, they may not want to bother with an age waiver if they have already signed enough folks. Just make sure they give you your due consideration especially in light of your prior service.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I understand that for the army, a mcat score of 29 is an "automatic acceptance". Do you know how this relates to the "already have numbers" scenario with the recruiters? Are you in for sure if you make a 29 or only if they have a slot for you? Thanks again.

Fab

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know how having a 29 on the MCAT relates to what recruiters do if they already reach their goal. Here is what I think/deduce: HPSP candidates have their applications meet a acceptance board a few times a year. Your recruiter is telling you what successful candidates in the past have had. If a recruiter has sent lots of interested applicants' applications to the board with scores above 29, and then you walk in with say, a 28 (not that that is what you have) AND need an age waiver, then he will probably not try very hard or even at all to get your application to the board (it is a time and labor intensive process to even get an applicant that far).
I speak of my experience in the AF only. If they select a lot of qualified applicants in the first board of the fiscal year, they can very easy up the ante for subsequent boards to meet in that year mid-season - i.e. they can start denying age waivers or low GPAs. I wouldn't say the Army's 29 score necessarily translates to the AF since it is by far the more desired service.

They change it year to year, but during this past cycle (for entering school in 2004), if you had a 29 MCAT and a 3.5 overall GPA, you "automatically" receive the scholarship. Your packet still has to be complete and go before the board, but unless you have some serious deficiency, you get the scholarship. Again, this changes from year to year.

Fab said:
Also I've read in some of the threads that HPSP students usually end up taking out extra loans. What would be an approximate amount above the stipend that I should expect to need (I'm looking mainly at the central states schools).

Trust me--you can take out loans for MUCH, MUCH MORE. I borrowed $45k last year. Looking to do the same this year.

I'd talk directly to the financial aid office of the schools you are interested in before banking on taking large sums of loans. I'm on the Navy HPSP and have a small family and I'm only eligible to take $4400 in loans per year...yes, per year, not per quarter. My school considers the HPSP stipend as income and uses toward my budget. I came to school expecting to get $15K per year, not the $4K I actually get.

We've gone round and round with this one and there's not much we can do. Our school was audited by the Dept of Education last year and that's what they dictated. Supposedly, schools get audited every 10 years. So expect changes at more schools, yet hopefully after you've graduated. Here's what our school's budget looks like for HPSP folks:
Navy Health Prof. Schl. $36,774.00 (yeah, our tuition is through the roof)
Health Professions Stipend $10,665.00
Fed Sub. Stafford Loan $405.00
Fed Unsub Stafford Loan $4,367.00
Total Aid $52,211.00 Our school's budget

I simply need to suck it up now and will enjoy not having big loans later (I have to tell myself that or I get ticked off).

So to answer your question, AZCOM HPSPers only get about $4K in aid above the stipend.

Globus P said:
I'd talk directly to the financial aid office of the schools you are interested in before banking on taking large sums of loans. I'm on the Navy HPSP and have a small family and I'm only eligible to take $4400 in loans per year...yes, per year, not per quarter. My school considers the HPSP stipend as income and uses toward my budget. I came to school expecting to get $15K per year, not the $4K I actually get.

We've gone round and round with this one and there's not much we can do. Our school was audited by the Dept of Education last year and that's what they dictated. Supposedly, schools get audited every 10 years. So expect changes at more schools, yet hopefully after you've graduated. Here's what our school's budget looks like for HPSP folks:
Navy Health Prof. Schl. $36,774.00 (yeah, our tuition is through the roof)
Health Professions Stipend $10,665.00
Fed Sub. Stafford Loan $405.00
Fed Unsub Stafford Loan $4,367.00
Total Aid $52,211.00 Our school's budget

I simply need to suck it up now and will enjoy not having big loans later (I have to tell myself that or I get ticked off).

So to answer your question, AZCOM HPSPers only get about $4K in aid above the stipend.

I received the same type of response at KCOM. The financial aid office wasn't willing to work with me at all even though I have a family, expensive medical bills, etc. So, I went elsewhere.

...and after reading about all the trauma the AZCOMers are going through w/ their financial aid dept, I'm glad I was rejected outright. :)

Yeah no joke, sometimes when I look at my checkbook I feel the same way :oops:

I received waivers for eyesight, bodyweight (am well over the limit though it's not fat) and for age. There was a guy in my COT class who was 53 and a resident. There's no age limit, they'd love ya, so go for it!

I supervise officer recruiting for the Navy in two states. We generally do not offer age waivers for HPSP, unless national goal looks like it will not be reached. However, if you match into a residency the Navy needs, or are board certified, it is easy to get an age waiver at that point (FAP program or Direct Access). The Navy's "automatic acceptance" requires a 3.7 GPA and a 30 MCAT, although if you have a 24 MCAT and a Letter of Acceptance and a decent GPA it is pretty easy to get the Navy HPSP scholarship. I can't speak for Army or Air Force though. Let me know if you have any other questions.

GoNavy,

What is the age cutoff to get HPSP? The Navy website states that 40 is the cut off. Also, if one serves in the military prior will that help any?

Thanks.

MAC

MAC said:
GoNavy,

What is the age cutoff to get HPSP? The Navy website states that 40 is the cut off. Also, if one serves in the military prior will that help any?

Thanks.

MAC

MAC,

You are required to be able to graduate medical school by the time you are 40 years old. Waivers are almost never given. I don't think prior service helps much. They want you to be able to serve 20 years commissioned service before age 60. I'm not sure if being a prior officer helps towards this or not. However, if you complete medical school and get a residency that the Navy is looking for, you can do the FAP program and for this it is pretty easy to get an age waiver. Hope this helps.