Age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahkristy117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering what the average age is around here for students entering a doctoral program. I am 21 and people are usually pretty surprised when I say I'm going into a doctoral program in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll have just turned 23 when I start this fall. I think for clinical people are usually a bit older just because it's so competitive to get in that most people take a few years to gain more research experience. I say if you're a mature and driven, then it really shouldn't be an issue!

I was barely 21 when I got into a program (now I'm 22 and in my first year). Everyone makes a big deal of it in my program 'cause most of the people are at least mid to late twenties (and we have quite a few in their thirties). One of my profs told me I was too young to be a grad student so I told him he was too old to still be working. :D

Congrats for being motivated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 31 & originally thought I'd be one of the "oldies." I was pleasantly surprised (at interviews) to find that 31 isn't that old for a doctoral student.

That being said, I think it is AWESOME that you are entering that young! I wish I had done this 10 (or even 5) years earlier!

I'm 28. It took me a few years after school to figure out what I wanted to do, and then a few years to get the experience necessary to get in. But I say major props to the people who knew what they wanted to do so early in life!

The ages of my cohort range from 22 - 42. Most are in their mid-twenties.

I was barely 21 when I got into a program (now I'm 22 and in my first year). Everyone makes a big deal of it in my program 'cause most of the people are at least mid to late twenties (and we have quite a few in their thirties). One of my profs told me I was too young to be a grad student so I told him he was too old to still be working. :D

Congrats for being motivated!

Thanks! Great comeback by the way. :laugh:

Sounds like there is a good mix of ages... I'm so looking forward to it. I think that might be what excites me the most, the fact that I'll be able to learn and work closely with people who have more work experience than I do.

I am a 28 year old 4th year and I was nearly 25 when I started. My cohort was unusually young (the mean age when we started was probably around 23) but many other cohorts at my school have had much older averages. I think that in the newest one, the majority of people are over 30 (or at least 28-29 or over, I'm not sure exactly), and the youngest one is one year out of college (everyone else is at least 3-4 years).

I'll be 23 when I start in the fall. It seemed as if everyone at my interview weekend for the program I am attending was either graduating this coming May or had only been out of school for 1-2 years. At my undergraduate institution, however, the students tend to be older (25-27) when they start. It seems to differ quite a bit between schools and cohorts.

30 when I got in, 31 when I'll be starting. Most of the other people who interviewed with me seemed to be in their mid-20s (I was older than most of the grad students working on their dissertations).

Also 30, and like Thrak, most of the students I saw were younger than me, though many were 23-27. There were some great ones though straight out of college.

I'm 23 and starting a doctoral program in the Fall...But I already have a master's.... :)

30 when I started, almost 32 now. Although it would have been nice to be done already and on with my life, I find that I'm not sorry I'm a bit older while going through this difficult process. I think I would have struggled more 10 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 23 when I enter in the fall. I'll be coming straight from undergrad.

I'll be 22 when I get started in the fall, right out of undergrad.

I'm 25, but I'll be 26 when I start the program. I feel incredibly old because I am just finishing undergrad. On the other hand, 2-3 years ago I didn't know what field I wanted to go into, and now I'm completely certain of my decision, so I'm glad I'm starting my Ph.D. program now. Also, I met the love of my life while I was wallowing in undergrad indecision, and now he'll be supporting me throughout grad school.

I just turned 27 today, and I'll be 28 when I enter a PhD program next fall.:hardy:

I just turned 27 today, and I'll be 28 when I enter a PhD program next fall.:hardy:

Happy birthday! Except... I'm confused, how could you be 28 in the fall? Oh, you must mean Fall 2009.

Happy birthday! Except... I'm confused, how could you be 28 in the fall? Oh, you must mean Fall 2009.

actually, one the special powers i've gained since being in graduate school is the power to transcend time. or was it waste time?;) yes, i meant fall 2009.

thanks for the happy b-day wishes! i think i'll take the night off from studying.

I think the avg. of our program is 26.

If I dont double major I will be 21 when I start (June B-day).

I get the same reaction except im a senior......

In HIGH SCHOOL:smuggrin: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh no, I feel like a baby. Im 20 - got interview invites for Clinical Psych Ph.D. but after interviewing I realized that clinical is not the route for me so I started declining invites and looking into Master Programs in Experimental Psychology. Although, it seems like I am stil young and have time to figure out what paradigm I want to dip my feet into :)

LOL, and to think, I started my program at the tender age of 41!

Mark

I was 21 when I finished my B.A. and 28 when I started grad school (in my 4th year now). Most people in my program are mid 20's.

I'm in my first year of a doctoral program and I just turned 21. So don't let people's comments phase you!

I am 26. When I enter the program I will be 27 (3 months) old. Are the people who are younger those who are entering straight from undergraduate school? Or those who entered a combined Masters/Doctoral program? I will be finished with my Masters in May. I have gone part time so I had time to get old, lol.

I am 25, will be 26 when I start a PhD program in the fall. I got a Master's and then took 2 years off from school and am SO glad I did. It was a much needed break!:) Most people I interviewed with were in their early 20s, I was one of the oldest interviewees. But it paid off cause I got in!

currently 23, will be 24 when i start this fall; completed a master's program prior

I am 22. I am hoping to start in Fall 2009. :p

I'm 27- will be 28 when I start, or 29 if none of the programs I've been accepted into do it for me this acceptance round and I try again for a better fit next year. I do admit I get a little freaked out when I start doing the math regarding age and program completion. But I also would not have given up a single amazing thing I've been able to do since graduating college- which have ranged from getting an MA to living abroad for several years. Whether you go straight through or take a non-traditional approach, realize that all your experiences inform the others.

Many people don't take the time to experience life before diving back into school, so taking that time may offer you a unique perspective on how you are going to approach this next step in your life. I took time away and it made me really appreciate school that much more when I went back.

I'm 22, but will be 23 when I start in my program this coming fall. I graduated right after turning 21 and took 2 years off. I had actually originally planned on applying when I was 20 (to start when I was 21), but decided against it because I felt I needed more time to prepare for the application process. I think anything 21+ is perfectly normal. But yes...people are usually surprised when I say I'm starting a doctorate this fall. Especially since I definitely look like I'm in high school still. Haha.

I'm 27- will be 28 when I start. I do admit I get a little freaked out when I start doing the math regarding age and program completion. But I also would not have given up a single amazing thing I've been able to do since graduating college.

LOL, stop worrying about your age, I will be starting my internship in late 2011 and shortly thereafter I will be turning 45! I still feel plenty young (due to a healthy dose of denial) and don't see myself retiring any time before I turn 51 (actually I hope the military will let me stay longer.)

Mark

Partnership in family business-19-29
Started college -21
Finished college -27
Started MA-27
Finished MA-29
Active Duty-29-33
Started PhD-33
Beginning of internship-37

Do what you have to do. Don't worry about your age.