Agnes Scott Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucius Vorenus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some insight into Agnes Scott's pre-med post bac?? I haven't found much that talks specifically about it.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few older threads about ASC in the postbac forum. Did you apply? I'll be there this summer.

Hi. I'm actually looking to apply next cycle so I was just doing some research. I did see a couple things about ASC on here but most were mixed into a general post-baccalaureate forum. I'm a social sciences major but have contemplated medical school for only a few weeks. As such, I'm starting to look around for post bac programs and volunteering/shadowing or research opportunities right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out today that I got into the ASPB. I also want more information about classes, etc. I'm pretty excited!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am just finishing the PBPM program at Agnes Scott... Send your questions, and I'll do my best to offer clarity for you. Congrats on those starting in June! It's worth it! :nod:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi icehockeychick! Congrats on finishing the program! How did you like it? What's the best/worst part of the whole experience? Did you find those in your cohort to be more or less collegial and supportive? Also, how'd you like the Agnes Scott campus and the Decatur area in general? I'm sorry for the thousand questions but just so little information is available on this particular program!

Thanks! I actually really loved the program! At the risk of seeming verbose, I'll list some pros/cons of the program, and then expound on your questions as best I can :)

Pros:
- Small school, very personalized advising from a very enthusiastic advising staff
- Small "cohort" of fellow Post-Bacc students (20-25 students)
- Does not allow teachers to "bell curve" their scores in an effort to promote a non-competative atmosphere.
- Along the lines of my previous comment, the atmosphere is very supportive amongst the post-baccs, an environment that is actively fostered by the post-bacc advising staff
- Priority for all class registration (you will get the classes you want)
- Linkage program with Mercer School of Medicine (for GA Residents)
- Advising staff actively helps you seek out and find shadowing and volunteer opportunities
- Most (not all... I will address this below) of the professors love post-bacc students, they understand our journey, and they actively seek to support you
- This program is not just for medical school applicants... they will help you with Dental, Veterinary, PA, and Pharm school as well.
- Professors are professors (not TA's), and they are very very accessible to the students
- Although you are no longer a "student" after the year is over, they continue to reach out and support you during your glide year as you muddle through the AMCAS system, secondary apps, and interviews.

Cons:
- This is NOT a grade improvement program... it is strictly a career change program... meaning the course is one year, and you take Gen Chem, Orgo I &II, Bio I & II, and Physics I & II. Its the down and dirty of pre-med requirements, no frills.
- You have to be a full time student... you can, at most, have already completed four of the required eight classes, but you cannot spread this program out over multiple years (I personally find this a pro, but I know some would disagree).
- Relatively expensive tuition
- This is an all female, undergraduate institution outside of the post-bacc program (men can attend as post-baccs)... some of the instructors (read: some Bio Instructors) do not like teaching post-bacc students... we are "overeducated" and too "grade conscious" for their liking (their words, not mine).
- You may have some adjunct professors mixed in... this can be a huge plus, or a huge minus, depending on the prof and their experience.
- They offer MCAT prep, but its eh, IMHO
- This is a non-degree program (i.e. you don't get anything but a pat on the back after the year is over).

Best part of the experience, BY FAR, is your fellow post-bacc's... maybe it was a lucky year this year, I don't know, but I love all the guys and gals I've been through this with, and I can't wait to see them all succeed in their futures, and I appreciate all the support they've offered me along the way. The program's idea is that there is enough competition in the pre-med world, why add any in your post bacc program? Huge huge positive of the program.

Worst part? I guess I'd have to say just the expense. Agnes is much more expensive than any state school, but I feel like the benefits far outweighed that cost. I mean, I'm about to swallow 250k of med school debt, I figure i'll just add this in.

Agnes Scott's campus is beautiful, and they have a building dedicated to the sciences that is state of the art. They also have a lounge for the post-baccs, complete with couches, a fridge, and microwave, for all your all-nighter needs/late studying needs.

Decatur is awesome, one of my favorite parts of Atlanta. Fun and eclectic little town. Lots of little coffee shops to study in, if you so choose. If you are going to be new to Atlanta and are wondering where to live, let me know. Atlanta traffic is a NIGHTMARE and choosing where you live can be an imperative decision.

I know this is long, I hope it helps. Hit me with any other questions, I'm more than happy to help out!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey ill be there this summer too! Is anyone new to the area, I just moved last friday! Im excited for orientation on thursday, hope to see you guys there!

Thanks! I actually really loved the program! At the risk of seeming verbose, I'll list some pros/cons of the program, and then expound on your questions as best I can :)

Pros:
- Small school, very personalized advising from a very enthusiastic advising staff
- Small "cohort" of fellow Post-Bacc students (20-25 students)
- Does not allow teachers to "bell curve" their scores in an effort to promote a non-competative atmosphere.
- Along the lines of my previous comment, the atmosphere is very supportive amongst the post-baccs, an environment that is actively fostered by the post-bacc advising staff
- Priority for all class registration (you will get the classes you want)
- Linkage program with Mercer School of Medicine (for GA Residents)
- Advising staff actively helps you seek out and find shadowing and volunteer opportunities
- Most (not all... I will address this below) of the professors love post-bacc students, they understand our journey, and they actively seek to support you
- This program is not just for medical school applicants... they will help you with Dental, Veterinary, PA, and Pharm school as well.
- Professors are professors (not TA's), and they are very very accessible to the students
- Although you are no longer a "student" after the year is over, they continue to reach out and support you during your glide year as you muddle through the AMCAS system, secondary apps, and interviews.

Cons:
- This is NOT a grade improvement program... it is strictly a career change program... meaning the course is one year, and you take Gen Chem, Orgo I &II, Bio I & II, and Physics I & II. Its the down and dirty of pre-med requirements, no frills.
- You have to be a full time student... you can, at most, have already completed four of the required eight classes, but you cannot spread this program out over multiple years (I personally find this a pro, but I know some would disagree).
- Relatively expensive tuition
- This is an all female, undergraduate institution outside of the post-bacc program (men can attend as post-baccs)... some of the instructors (read: some Bio Instructors) do not like teaching post-bacc students... we are "overeducated" and too "grade conscious" for their liking (their words, not mine).
- You may have some adjunct professors mixed in... this can be a huge plus, or a huge minus, depending on the prof and their experience.
- They offer MCAT prep, but its eh, IMHO
- This is a non-degree program (i.e. you don't get anything but a pat on the back after the year is over).

Best part of the experience, BY FAR, is your fellow post-bacc's... maybe it was a lucky year this year, I don't know, but I love all the guys and gals I've been through this with, and I can't wait to see them all succeed in their futures, and I appreciate all the support they've offered me along the way. The program's idea is that there is enough competition in the pre-med world, why add any in your post bacc program? Huge huge positive of the program.

Worst part? I guess I'd have to say just the expense. Agnes is much more expensive than any state school, but I feel like the benefits far outweighed that cost. I mean, I'm about to swallow 250k of med school debt, I figure i'll just add this in.

Agnes Scott's campus is beautiful, and they have a building dedicated to the sciences that is state of the art. They also have a lounge for the post-baccs, complete with couches, a fridge, and microwave, for all your all-nighter needs/late studying needs.

Decatur is awesome, one of my favorite parts of Atlanta. Fun and eclectic little town. Lots of little coffee shops to study in, if you so choose. If you are going to be new to Atlanta and are wondering where to live, let me know. Atlanta traffic is a NIGHTMARE and choosing where you live can be an imperative decision.

I know this is long, I hope it helps. Hit me with any other questions, I'm more than happy to help out!

This thread is a bit old but I would greatly appreciate if you could drop a line or two to my questions. I just applied to the program and hope they still have remaining seats since they accept students on a rolling basis. So in regards to the percentage of people who successfully get admitted to med, dental, vet schools, I heard it is about 85% at first try at the information session. Does this seems to be true? It's incredibly high if this indeed is legit. Also, assuming you're a current medical school students, how do you compare this program to the actual rigor of medical school? I hear that if you can survive the post bacc premed program, you can survive med school too. How do you rate the academic performance of medical students who came from a post bacc program like Agnes Scott? I'm curious how well post bacc programs in general prepare students for med school.

I can only speak from my one experience with my one cohort at ASC, but of the people who decide to pursue medical school, I think the 85% sounds pretty right. Some of my classmates have taken long glide years, or have decided to pursue other professions, and so its hard to get good stats since we all go our separate ways. Nothing will prepare you adequately for the rigors of medical school... its much more information than you ever dreamed you could learn in such a short amount of time; however, post bacc programs aim to groom your study habits to be compatible with these rigors and to help you adjust. Medical school is just a lot of hard work, bottom line. If you work hard, you will be ok. I dont troll my classmates to find out their grades, so I have no idea how they do compared to traditional students or students coming from a Masters or PhD program. I am getting through just fine, but a sample of 1 is pretty useless. If you are debating whether to enroll in a post bacc program or just piecemeal the required classes together, I would encourage you to do a formal program, both for the rigor and, maybe most importantly depending on your age, for the time it will save you. If you have any other questions or need any other insights, feel free to PM me.

Hi, icehockychick. Thanks for the reply. I got admitted to Agnes Scott PBPM and am starting next Tuesday. I noticed you are in Mercer Savannah campus. Is there an option for PBPM students to pick a campus if going with the linkage program ? As far as I understand, I would need to apply for Mercer by summer this year if I want to be considered for conditional acceptance. Do you know anyone who took the linkage route but ditched and decided to apply for other schools during the glide year? I just wonder if everyone who goes with the linkage program is committed to Mercer or sees it as a back up option. How do you like MUSM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I realize this is an old thread, but I applied for the program in mid-December and am anxiously awaiting a response from the admissions committee. Do you all know if they send responses via email or snail mail? Also, do you get a schedule for the program upon acceptance?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I realize this is an old thread, but I applied for the program in mid-December and am anxiously awaiting a response from the admissions committee. Do you all know if they send responses via email or snail mail? Also, do you get a schedule for the program upon acceptance?

Thanks!
I was under the impression that letters are sent snail mail. Did they email you an update once your file was being reviewed?

Have you heard back yet? If not, you applied mid December & they were closed for a couple of weeks for the holidays. So perhaps thats why.

I was under the impression that letters are sent snail mail. Did they email you an update once your file was being reviewed?

Have you heard back yet? If not, you applied mid December & they were closed for a couple of weeks for the holidays. So perhaps thats why.

Nothing as of today! I was told two weeks ago that the AdComm committee had my completed file and that I should be hearing "soon." I hope the holiday break accounts for the time.

Have you hear Tru Nile?

Nothing as of today! I was told two weeks ago that the AdComm committee had my completed file and that I should be hearing "soon." I hope the holiday break accounts for the time.

Have you hear Tru Nile?
I just submitted my application last Thursday, so from the sounds of it - it may be awhile :(
Stay positive, & keep me posted....I'll do the same!

I just submitted my application last Thursday, so from the sounds of it - it may be awhile :(
Stay positive, & keep me posted....I'll do the same!

I just found out I was accepted for this summer! Head high!

I just found out I was accepted for this summer! Head high!

That's WONDERFUL news...Congrats!! You must feel such a relief. Oh happy day!

So tell me, was ur acceptance letter in a large envelope?? That way I won't even rush to open mine if I get a small one, LOL!!!

Hi guys - I have also been accepted and will be starting in May! Shall we start a fb group or something ?

That's WONDERFUL news...Congrats!! You must feel such a relief. Oh happy day!

So tell me, was ur acceptance letter in a large envelope?? That way I won't even rush to open mine if I get a small one, LOL!!!

Email!!!

Hi! I just applied to the Agnes Scott PBPM program a few days ago. Can any current students share their experience so far, their stats for being accepted, and/or how long it took for them to hear a decision? Also, for anyone who has finished the program, where are you now? Thoughts on the MCAT prep?

Hi! I just applied to the Agnes Scott PBPM program a few days ago. Can any current students share their experience so far, their stats for being accepted, and/or how long it took for them to hear a decision? Also, for anyone who has finished the program, where are you now? Thoughts on the MCAT prep?
Hey- I also handed in everything a few weeks ago. Have you heard anything yet?

Hey- I also handed in everything a few weeks ago. Have you heard anything yet?

Did you happen to get a response? I recently applied and got in! (woo!) So I'm looking to meet future classmates

Hi! I am in the process of applying to Agnes. Were anyone else's GRE scores low and still got accepted? Can someone explain how the program was for them (good and bad)?

I recently accepted my invitation to the Agnes Scott Post Bacc Pre-med program and will be starting this summer.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to live, loans, etc.

Is anyone else beginning this summer, May 2020?
Should we start a GroupMe?

I can only speak from my one experience with my one cohort at ASC, but of the people who decide to pursue medical school, I think the 85% sounds pretty right. Some of my classmates have taken long glide years, or have decided to pursue other professions, and so its hard to get good stats since we all go our separate ways. Nothing will prepare you adequately for the rigors of medical school... its much more information than you ever dreamed you could learn in such a short amount of time; however, post bacc programs aim to groom your study habits to be compatible with these rigors and to help you adjust. Medical school is just a lot of hard work, bottom line. If you work hard, you will be ok. I dont troll my classmates to find out their grades, so I have no idea how they do compared to traditional students or students coming from a Masters or PhD program. I am getting through just fine, but a sample of 1 is pretty useless. If you are debating whether to enroll in a post bacc program or just piecemeal the required classes together, I would encourage you to do a formal program, both for the rigor and, maybe most importantly depending on your age, for the time it will save you. If you have any other questions or need any other insights, feel free to PM me.
Hi icehockeychick, I was accepted to the program but am concerned about taking three hard sciences concurrently, especially when it's important to get A's. I come from a non-science background and math has always been a struggle for me, so I am concerned about taking physics while also taking biology and orgo. What was it like to take three hard sciences concurrently? How difficult was the program? Was there grade deflation or were students able to maintain high GPA's? Thank you!

Hi icehockeychick, I was accepted to the program but am concerned about taking three hard sciences concurrently, especially when it's important to get A's. I come from a non-science background and math has always been a struggle for me, so I am concerned about taking physics while also taking biology and orgo. What was it like to take three hard sciences concurrently? How difficult was the program? Was there grade deflation or were students able to maintain high GPA's? Thank you!
Hey there! I actually finished the program in May 2019. I was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA, but the program was my number one priority. It was definitely challenging, but I think well worth the time and financial investment. I studied pretty much everyday, and it paid off! I think the key is to stay very organized, prioritize what needs to be done and when, and practice problems backwards and forwards (especially for physics, general and organic chem).

To answer some of your specific questions, I'm not sure what you mean by "grade deflation?" Also, we had a very close cohort but none of us really discussed final GPAs, so I can only answer about my GPA. I am also from a non-science background, but I do feel that I am strong in math.

Hey there! I actually finished the program in May 2019. I was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA, but the program was my number one priority. It was definitely challenging, but I think well worth the time and financial investment. I studied pretty much everyday, and it paid off! I think the key is to stay very organized, prioritize what needs to be done and when, and practice problems backwards and forwards (especially for physics, general and organic chem).

To answer some of your specific questions, I'm not sure what you mean by "grade deflation?" Also, we had a very close cohort but none of us really discussed final GPAs, so I can only answer about my GPA. I am also from a non-science background, but I do feel that I am strong in math.
Hey! I am seriously considering attending the program this year, and I was hoping to talk to someone about their experience. Would you be willing to answer some questions?

Thank you,
Rebecca

Hey guys, I am just finishing the PBPM program at Agnes Scott... Send your questions, and I'll do my best to offer clarity for you. Congrats on those starting in June! It's worth it! :nod:
Hi! How was your experience and did you choose to complete their linkage program?