ahhhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I looked at a review book just to start thinking about the MCAT in April. I've been out of college since spring (and planning on taking physics II in the summer), but I'm in grad school so I've been using my brain, right? :p
Anyway, when I looked at what I'm supposed to know, I realized I don't really remember much of chem or physics I, and barely any orgo either. I mean, I guess I knew it at some point? uh...I sure hope I can relearn all this stuff quickly. Doesn't help that I had a really bad orgo teacher and didn't learn all I should even though I got an A...

okay, just venting here...it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm actually studying for a test on Friday, but I took a break yesterday to look at this stuff and now I've got myself all worried. Not like freaking out worried, more like oh boy I've got my work cut out for me worried :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I was like you . . . I hadn't taken those classes in years, and I didn't remember crap. I had to reteach myself physics (luckily my fiance was an engineer major), chemistry, and I didn't even have time to get to orgo (which I had also forgotten). Then I also had to memorize a ton of biology stuff that I never learned in the first place (much of the physiology and hormones). Unfortunately my efforts did not pay off and I ended up with a 23, but you have so much more time. If you start studying now you'll have plenty of time to reteach yourself everything and do well on the test (that's what I'm doing too, now). I also thought I had been using my brain too (I got a master's and currently work as a research tech) but the MCAT stuff is so different. I don't feel like anything I know is worth a crap on that test. I just thought I'd share all that with you, because I was pretty naive when I took the test the first time, and it really kicked my butt. Hopefully you can avoid those pitfalls. :)

i'm re-learning all this **** too man.
haven't seen gen. chem since freshmen year in undergrad (1997). :eek:
start now, you'll have time. :cool:
you'd be surprised what comes back to you... damn valence electrons... :mad:

thanks guys
You know, my husband was a physics major so I'm going to try to get him to tutor me some. But he's in med school now so he doesn't really have lots of time!

ah well, I'll do my best, right? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably considered this already; but depending on your schedule/finaces etc. you may be someone who could really benefit from a commerical review course.

lol. All of you guys sound so much like me. I've been out of college since spring 2004. I just recently started to review my stuff and I plan on taking a commerical prep course in Jan. So that I can redeem myself on this April MCAT, since I didn't do so well the first time. :cool:

Well then this just might make you ALL feel better. I graduated in December of 1996! But, I've been reviewing (not too intense yet) the last few months, and I'm suprised at how much has come back to me.
Just give it some time, and after going over the material a few times, certain things will start to come together. Then it gets easier.

My story is quite long, but I took the MCAT 9 years ago. I scored a 28 (forgot the letter for writing).

One piece of advice that you may wish to consider (I'm trying to keep reminding myself as well), is to study the material, of course, but to prioritize doing problems and sample tests.

I can remember taking just a few practice tests, and then thinking that there is so much variance from one test to another, that to cover myself I should just study the material.

BUT, now, looking into it a bit more strategically, I think it's really important to do as many MCAT-like, passage, problems. Also, all of the available AAMC tests. If you are anything like me, I hate not being able to solve a problem. So, upon review of your incorrect answers, you will go back to the material and really drive it home. The chances of you making a similar mistake, even on a completely different passage, but one that tests the same concept, is small.

Well, that's just my 2 cents, but looking back, I think I would have done better had I done more MCAT style problems up front. Don't wait until you feel that you're 100% up on the material before you should start the test taking. The test have learning value as well as just practicing speed and timing etc.

Good luck to you all. And don't get discouraged.
Chris

tigress said:
Okay so I looked at a review book just to start thinking about the MCAT in April. I've been out of college since spring (and planning on taking physics II in the summer), but I'm in grad school so I've been using my brain, right? :p
Anyway, when I looked at what I'm supposed to know, I realized I don't really remember much of chem or physics I, and barely any orgo either. I mean, I guess I knew it at some point? uh...I sure hope I can relearn all this stuff quickly. Doesn't help that I had a really bad orgo teacher and didn't learn all I should even though I got an A...

okay, just venting here...it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm actually studying for a test on Friday, but I took a break yesterday to look at this stuff and now I've got myself all worried. Not like freaking out worried, more like oh boy I've got my work cut out for me worried :cool:

Hi Tigress,
You should check out these threads from the non-trad forum if you haven't seen them already:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158018
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=154956

We had a debate in there about whether non-trads tend to do better or worse than traditionals on the MCAT. The issues are different for non-trads, but if you spend however much time you need going back over the material you haven't seen in so long, then you CAN get up to speed with the youngsters. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I've posted my story before, but here it is again in condensed form: I was pre-med in college but didn't go, and my score expired b/c I took the test in 1996. I went on to grad school in organic chemistry in the meantime; basically I had to study physics a lot because I took the class in 1993. I also had to review all of the bio, particularly the physiology, because it has also been several years since I looked at any of that stuff. Luckily my gen chem and organic weren't as rusty. I started teaching MCAT and DAT classes for Kaplan 4-5 days per week over the summer, and I took the practice tests and did the assignments along with my students. I took the test in August and scored a 43.

Like a previous poster said, you have a lot of time still between now and April. Keep to your studying schedule, and don't give up!