AIR FORCE FLIGHT SURGEON ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRON_DUKE

MEDICAL RED NECK ROYALTY
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PEOPLE :

I WAS TALKING THE OTHER DAY WITH A Lt. COL. USAF ( UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ) , and he mentioned the possibility of entering any of the services as a MEDIC ( M.D. , ) .

Now I looked at the USAF web-site , but everything is so darned general , that I could not get real specific answers to any of my questions .

Maybe some of you have run into other links , or may have some info that can help me .

One of the main things I want to know is :

WHAT IS THE AGE CUT OFF LIMIT TO GET IN ?

HOW MANY YEARS OF SERVICE DOES IT TAKE TO GET SOME RETIREMENT BENEFITS ?

WHAT IS THE AVG. STARTING SALARY OF A MEDICAL DOCTOR ?

The list could go on and on !

MOX

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I am confused to find your post on the Inter page. I looked into it 2 years ago and here what I know, it could change in the meantime and you might be better off to talk to Med. Recruiter.
1. Citizenship.
2. Complete residency in the US or being USAF scholarship recepient while in Med. School.
3. I believe the cut off age is 35 years unless you have not served before in the US military, then that time is counted.
4. 20 years of service to get slim benefits.
5. No idea about salary but be ready to move a lot.
Best regards.

[I also have a knowledge that is quite imperfect...

but I think to be a doc you need to only be under 40...BUT...

I am pretty sure that is you are not a grad of an accrediated MD or DO program from the US or Canad ONLY, you would have to complete a residency AND BE BOARD CERTIFIED in something before you could be commissioned in ANY Medical Corps of ANY Branch of the service... I suspect the Surgeon-General (or some Asst. Secretary of this or that Service) could exempt you (that is just an eduacted guess) but I suspect those exemptions would be few and far between (UK grads et c..)

But it is still doable... I think the work would be very interesting...

Best to All..JA