Air force ID card?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bass for less

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the AFIT website, and it talks about the HPSP students should report and get a (Red) Reserve Military ID card. Does anyone know what is this card for?

The station close to me also told me their card machine has been down and doesn't know how long it will be to fix. Honestly, I am not very surprised :rolleyes:.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you get military tags for your vehicles as well if you're on the HPSP or HSCP?

Yea, you don't need one. I got one it's actually green.....my wife got the red one. It's nice to have because there are many places that give military discounts and not to mention the comissary (we save a ton of money going here!!!) and the PX. If you do get one may sure to take advantage of everything that is available to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we need it before COT, or is this something we can take care of while we're there??

you can get your ID taken care of at COT.

Remember, you are only eligible to shop at the commissary, BX, Class Six, etc while you are on active duty. If you go to school all year around and your 45 days on AD are spent at your school, you will not have the opportunity to take advantage of AD military benefits, unless you live close to a base.

Snozberries, I don't now where you are getting your information, but it is not true about not having commissary and BX/NEX/PX privileges only while you are on your 45 days active duty. When I was on the IRR (the same classification as an HPSP student), I had commissary privileges. The 2004 Defense Authorization act authorizes unlimited shopping at these locations for all members of the Reserves to include those in the IRR. Show me another federal document passed after November 2003 and I'll reconsider what I have said, but every place I have gone to verify this still references the 2004 Defense Authorization act (Public Law 108-136-Nov. 24, 2003, Title VI, Subtitle E, Sec. 651.)

With that said, HPSP scholarship holders (since they are in the IRR) can get on a base and shop at a commissary and NEX/BX/PX and MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) as long as they are near one.

So that means you can golf on base then! :-D

With that said, HPSP scholarship holders (since they are in the IRR) can get on a base and shop at a commissary and NEX/BX/PX and MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) as long as they are near one.

Whats the MWR?

Wow! I didn't know this was such a touchy issue with you. Things have changed since I was HPSP. I stand corrected.

Feel free to shop away!

To say you don't need one is wrong. Eventually, at some point, you will need one. Depending on the school you go to (if you have summer classes or not), you may be required to have one in the summer since you will be doing your 45 days on active duty. You just don't realistically need it on you at all times (although techincally you are supposed to).

Ok you DO NOT NEED AN ID CARD during school if they required one they would have made any HPSP member in my class to go get one. I had to go on my own to go get one just for the sake of having privileges. The rest of the kids in HPSP DO NOT HAVE ID CARDS and to say that they NEED one is rediculous. I asked around before getting my card called AFIT, and they thought I was crazy for trying to get my card, they said I wouldn't need till I was active (real active duty as in serving, not just getting a letter during dental school saying you are on active duty for the next 45 days, you are assigned to X dental school and are to remain there and not leave the country) Yes they will give them to you once you go into COT and yes you will need them if you go the 45 days of active duty...but who actually goes to the 45 days active duty off campus?? Dental schools simply won't allow the military to do it, and ultimately it is the dental schools choice not the military. I don't know any AF kid that has gone, I am sure there are people that have gone but I don't know what schools actually allow you to go out for the 45 days??? IF SOMEONE HAS GONE OFF CAMPUS FOR 45 ays PLEASE MAKE ME AWARE (I would be interested to here what you do for 45 days). Ours doesn't allow us to go at least because there is simply no time available. Yes we will need cards......when we are active duty after dental school and they won't be dinky green ID cards they will be CAC cards.

i think navy dds's (?) point is that we are technically required by DoD to have an ID card if we are in their pipeline, as IRR, reserves, or AD. i had one of the green laminate cards while i was in school, though i never did anything other than school orders.

i bet if you read through your HPSP student handbook, you will find a line in there about having proper ID made and tags for your car. this was especially useful for me, since i could go up and visit BUPERS in person prior to getting placed in my residency. having ID and tags makes getting on base easy and reduces the number of things you have to worry about when you go AD. no one will make you go get one, but since we are supposed to have one, it falls to personal responsibility. the military kinda expects that of their officers.

Navy DDS thanks for the info. Yah I agree it is one of those things you want to get it done, even if just getting it out of the way. The vehicle tag.. do you apply at the same time as the ID?

I called the station and they couldn't find me in the system.. looks like something has slipped.

i think navy dds's (?) point is that we are technically required by DoD to have an ID card if we are in their pipeline, as IRR, reserves, or AD. i had one of the green laminate cards while i was in school, though i never did anything other than school orders.

i bet if you read through your HPSP student handbook, you will find a line in there about having proper ID made and tags for your car. this was especially useful for me, since i could go up and visit BUPERS in person prior to getting placed in my residency. having ID and tags makes getting on base easy and reduces the number of things you have to worry about when you go AD. no one will make you go get one, but since we are supposed to have one, it falls to personal responsibility. the military kinda expects that of their officers.

I was never given a manual almost everything I've had to learn on my own, I get most my info from AFIT.
I have never been able to get tags they won't allow me to since I am not affiliated/stationed with any base the only thing I am ever is able to get is a temp parking permit.

And for this Q "Navy DDS thanks for the info. Yah I agree it is one of those things you want to get it done, even if just getting it out of the way. The vehicle tag.. do you apply at the same time as the ID?

I called the station and they couldn't find me in the system.. looks like something has slipped. "

Afit takes 8-12 weeks for you to get into the system if it has been more than 12 weeks I would give a call but less than that don't worry just wait a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ohh yea I forgot to add. You will get one in cot so if you go to cot before DS you will get one there. So those of you guys going this summer don't need to worry about going to go get an ID, you'll get one in COT.

morale welfare and recreation. are you unable to google?

Thanks jerk! Of course I know how to search for it. I obviously thought the answer would be given with a useful spin to it. I swear......idiot.

Let me see if I can remember what NBA team is in Kentucky.....oh yeah, none! HA HA!!!!

Thanks jerk! Of course I know how to search for it. I obviously thought the answer would be given with a useful spin to it. I swear......idiot.

Let me see if I can remember what NBA team is in Kentucky.....oh yeah, none! HA HA!!!!

I'm from California, I go to school in Kentucky. But you're still a Laker fan, an awful thing to be.

I'm from California, I go to school in Kentucky. But you're still a Laker fan, an awful thing to be.

Awful you say? Kings, Warriors, or Clippers fan? In any case they all suck big time w/ no rings whatsoever. I have a feeling you're a fan of some random team like the Suns or Celtics. It sure does suck to be a fan of a team that continues to win multiple championships every decade though.

Awful you say? Kings, Warriors, or Clippers fan? In any case they all suck big time w/ no rings whatsoever. I have a feeling you're a fan of some random team like the Suns or Celtics. It sure does suck to be a fan of a team that continues to win multiple championships every decade though.

90's? oh yeah 60's were tough to come by with the celtics pretty much skunking that decade. The Lakers had a good run in the 80's and had shaq early this decade...other than that I see one other championship while they were in LA. 71. Whoopdee doo. The fact that you root for a team owned by Jerry Buss and led by Kobe Bryant says more about you than the number of PAST championships that PAST players have won. Sorry dude, C's/Spurs final that's what I see.

90's? oh yeah 60's were tough to come by with the celtics pretty much skunking that decade. The Lakers had a good run in the 80's and had shaq early this decade...other than that I see one other championship while they were in LA. 71. Whoopdee doo. The fact that you root for a team owned by Jerry Buss and led by Kobe Bryant says more about you than the number of PAST championships that PAST players have won. Sorry dude, C's/Spurs final that's what I see.

What???? 1 in the 70's. 5 in the 80's. 3 in the late 90's into this century (whoopdeedooo....dumb) and one likely to come in this season or the near future. How does that make for a confused fan? In that time frame only the Celtics have won more but DUH they were awesome...they have to win again to be on the elite level team again. It's only been 20+ years. What does Jerry Buss and Kobe Bryant have to do with how the Lakers are in 1st place again.

I'm thinking you're a Spurs fan so I'll roll with it. Just because your Spurs have won 4 rings in the last decade doesn't put them anywhere near the elite teams of the NBA's history. Please! What a joke. The fact that you root for a team that has only won in the past couple of years shows that you are one of the many passengers of that bandwagon.

So, championships: 14 Lakers (9 since the Spurs joined the NBA), 4 Spurs:thumbdown:
Hall of Famers: 14 Lakers (+1, Kobe Bryant and maybe +1 Shaq), 3 Spurs (+2 David Robinson, Tim Duncan):thumbdown:
Fans everywhere: Lakers:thumbup:
So on and so forth.....

Honestly if you dislike Kobe (BIG DEAL!!!!!). No reason to hate on the Lakers AND honestly, Jerry Buss? Absolutely pointless. What the livin does have to do with the court. I don't even know who the Spurs owner is and I don't care. You know the Lakers are a very good team. They have been in the past and they are again. Good for you on beating teams since the Lake show went back to average (still in the playoffs 2 times) for only 3 seasons.

BTW, I guarantee when Duncan retires the Spurs won't win for a looooonnnnng time.

I hope you're a Spurs fan and not a Celtics fan or I'll have to do this all over again.

And,

Originally Posted by NAVY DDS 2010
Snozberries, I don't now where you are getting your information, but it is not true about not having commissary and BX/NEX/PX privileges only while you are on your 45 days active duty. When I was on the IRR (the same classification as an HPSP student), I had commissary privileges. The 2004 Defense Authorization act authorizes unlimited shopping at these locations for all members of the Reserves to include those in the IRR. Show me another federal document passed after November 2003 and I'll reconsider what I have said, but every place I have gone to verify this still references the 2004 Defense Authorization act (Public Law 108-136-Nov. 24, 2003, Title VI, Subtitle E, Sec. 651.)

-=-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it was kinda already there to begin with....
Best,
Perhaps your future RN commander

Lord knows you guys can take the arduous med school app. process, med school itself, the constant threat of deployment and hardship tours once in but what reeaallly seems to get ya'all wound up is the possibility of reporting to someone like little old me....
Think of those poor suckers at UCI! lol....

it was kinda already there to begin with....
Best,
Perhaps your future RN commander

Lord knows you guys can take the arduous med school app. process, med school itself, the constant threat of deployment and hardship tours once in but what reeaallly seems to get ya'all wound up is the possibility of reporting to someone like little old me....
Think of those poor suckers at UCI! lol....

Dental School :D, not Med school :(

What???? 1 in the 70's. 5 in the 80's. 3 in the late 90's into this century (whoopdeedooo....dumb) and one likely to come in this season or the near future. How does that make for a confused fan? In that time frame only the Celtics have won more but DUH they were awesome...they have to win again to be on the elite level team again. It's only been 20+ years. What does Jerry Buss and Kobe Bryant have to do with how the Lakers are in 1st place again.

I'm thinking you're a Spurs fan so I'll roll with it. Just because your Spurs have won 4 rings in the last decade doesn't put them anywhere near the elite teams of the NBA's history. Please! What a joke. The fact that you root for a team that has only won in the past couple of years shows that you are one of the many passengers of that bandwagon.

So, championships: 14 Lakers (9 since the Spurs joined the NBA), 4 Spurs:thumbdown:
Hall of Famers: 14 Lakers (+1, Kobe Bryant and maybe +1 Shaq), 3 Spurs (+2 David Robinson, Tim Duncan):thumbdown:
Fans everywhere: Lakers:thumbup:
So on and so forth.....

Honestly if you dislike Kobe (BIG DEAL!!!!!). No reason to hate on the Lakers AND honestly, Jerry Buss? Absolutely pointless. What the livin does have to do with the court. I don't even know who the Spurs owner is and I don't care. You know the Lakers are a very good team. They have been in the past and they are again. Good for you on beating teams since the Lake show went back to average (still in the playoffs 2 times) for only 3 seasons.

BTW, I guarantee when Duncan retires the Spurs won't win for a looooonnnnng time.

I hope you're a Spurs fan and not a Celtics fan or I'll have to do this all over again.

Well I'm definitely not a Spurs fan. While I respect them(except Flopinobli - that guy's the 2nd biggest piece of trash in the league after Kobe) I definitely do not root for them. I enjoyed the Larry Bird led Celtics, but I'm definitely not a Celtics fan, although if I picked a team out east to root for I'd say they'd be at the top of the list. I hate the Lakers. Bottom line is I like basketball and I think the Lakers franchise is a disgrace to the game. They're a joke. I have a strong disdain and contempt for their management, coach AND players. I think they're classless and a disgrace to the game of basketball. As much as I disliked the Lakers in the 80's I had respect for Magic and that team. I'm not old enough to have followed teams in the 70's and earlier. But the Lakers from the 90's to today, just a classless bunch of losers in my book led predominantly by Rick Fox, Kobe Bryant and Nick Van Exel.

not trying to be a jerk, but a simple google search for 'MWR' turns up more information about the MWRs of all three branches than we could possibly give you here. part of being a doctor should be the skill of search and discovery...

Well I'm definitely not a Spurs fan. While I respect them(except Flopinobli - that guy's the 2nd biggest piece of trash in the league after Kobe) I definitely do not root for them. I enjoyed the Larry Bird led Celtics, but I'm definitely not a Celtics fan, although if I picked a team out east to root for I'd say they'd be at the top of the list. I hate the Lakers. Bottom line is I like basketball and I think the Lakers franchise is a disgrace to the game. They're a joke. I have a strong disdain and contempt for their management, coach AND players. I think they're classless and a disgrace to the game of basketball. As much as I disliked the Lakers in the 80's I had respect for Magic and that team. I'm not old enough to have followed teams in the 70's and earlier. But the Lakers from the 90's to today, just a classless bunch of losers in my book led predominantly by Rick Fox, Kobe Bryant and Nick Van Exel.

Flopinobli...nice. This is a worthless debate I can see now. You are more concerned about how the Lakers are the one team covered constantly off the court and could care less about the skill they have consistently put on the court. Really, Fox, Buss, Bryant, Van Excel? Ridiculous reasons to not like the Lakers. Oh well. Lakers are not a disgrace to the game and you know that. The league would be less of a league w/out the Lakers. Just as much as they were/are w/out the Sixers, Knicks, and Celtics being dominant as they were in the past. Be a student of the game as much as you are a student of the Lakers "problems" and you would see that the Lakers are a great team. I love the NBA and I'm not a hater of any team just because.

not trying to be a jerk, but a simple google search for 'MWR' turns up more information about the MWRs of all three branches than we could possibly give you here. part of being a doctor should be the skill of search and discovery...

Well, I don't think your "helpful" comment was necessitated. I highly value the help that some of the members of SDN who contribute to the military dentistry forum have given me. Yeah, sure I can look up almost everything I ask about in this forum, including MWR, but it sure is helpful when knowledgeable people can point me to correct information AND tell me if it's relevant to what I should be worrying about at this stage of my education/military career. But thanks anyway. I guess I'll give up on SDN and become a member of the google forum. Search and discovery???? I'm all about wait and be given right?

you asked what the MWR was and i answered. after you took the time to ask for a second time instead of just going to figure it out for yourself. the short answer to your actual question is:

"The Navy Morale, Welfare and Recreation Division administers a varied program of recreation, social and community support activities on U.S. Navy facilities worldwide. Our programs provide active-duty, reserve and retired Navy personnel and their families with sports and physical fitness activities, child development and youth programs, and a variety of food and beverage services. Our mission is to provide quality support and recreational services that contribute to the retention, readiness, mental, physical, and emotional well-being of our Sailors."

the same answer holds true for the Army and Air Force. thanks and enjoy.

hijack!

Well I just got my ID today, it's green and shiny :cool:. Woot! Found a nice swimming pool in the facility too. But the exchange is really small and lack of design and much goods. Anyway, thanks guys!